Sign in to follow this  
blackettle

White soldiers actually can jump.

If I have the opportunity and need to jump over a fence/rock/object for cover (I am being fired at), then I would like the ability to do so.

I notice that I can slowly step over, but I cannot leap over as far as I can tell.

Use the "v" key and step over it.

Jumping will (hopefully) never be in a BIS game. For every one person using it realisticaly, you end up with a hundred more bunny-hopping around like epileptic rabbits.

No bouncing around like a tard. No straffing or jousting. ArmA isn't *that* kind of game.

How about a suggestion for a compromise. While I agree that jumping should never be in ArmA, I do think that in some situations the 'step over' animation can be quite slow. Perhaps there can be an alternate version of it, where the player's animation would have the soldier roll his body over the obstacle (a sloppy looking dive if you will, he is carrying gear after all) and land on the other side in a prone position. Does that sound like a good idea?

Why is everyone afraid the game would turn into Counter Strike just because we can jump? The jumping could be implemented in such a way that it would reflect real jumping. ie. Consecutive jumps would reduce in height because of fatigue. Being out of breath after a long run would reduce jump hight/time.

How about a suggestion for a compromise. While I agree that jumping should never be in ArmA, I do think that in some situations the 'step over' animation can be quite slow. Perhaps there can be an alternate version of it, where the player's animation would have the soldier roll his body over the obstacle (a sloppy looking dive if you will, he is carrying gear after all) and land on the other side in a prone position. Does that sound like a good idea?

I could go for something like this. I remember seeing an episode of Band of Brothers where a guy did a "barrel roll" into a small fence to knock it down for the rest of the squad...this could be something similar

Jump would spoil the game.

If running step over animation turns into more of a role over into a crouch, that could be acceptable?

I have to agree with thirdup,thats the main reason i cant play the "other"games watching 20 or 30 people leaping around like Michael Flatley from river dance kinda sucks.

I have to agree with thirdup,thats the main reason i cant play the "other"games watching 20 or 30 people leaping around like Michael Flatley from river dance kinda sucks.

As I pointed out, there are solutions to this.

White soldiers
What did you mean by that? :crazy: Black soldiers can't?

The black ones do not need to jump because they stand and fight like men.

Perhaps a forward leap or dive. We already have a different animation (IIRC) for going prone after a sprint.

Ok usually Arma soldiers hold a big gun with both hands and carry a backpack full of heavy shit. That would make jumping over something kind of dangerous. I wouldn't mind it though if there was a way to limit jumps to one every few steps (to avoid bunny hopping) and if it made you tired if you overused it.

Ok usually Arma soldiers hold a big gun with both hands and carry a backpack full of heavy shit. That would make jumping over something kind of dangerous. I wouldn't mind it though if there was a way to limit jumps to one every few steps (to avoid bunny hopping) and if it made you tired if you overused it.

Agreed. If you tire after quick successive jumps, then jumping ability deminshes.

What did you mean by that? :crazy: Black soldiers can't?

It's a pun, taken from a movie title (afaik) white men can't jump

I actually liked the idea of rolling, pushing over the fence for the rest of your team.

Yet I also remember another scene from band of brothers where the base is full of sheeps because of a broken fence. ;)

"Agreed. If you tire after quick successive jumps, then jumping ability deminshes."

This was done awesomely in Vietcong. But, we really don`t need a jump ability. The movements we can do ingame are pretty awesome. BIS really did an awesome job with ARMA 2 character movement abilities.

Jump should never be in arma ever. I really dont care to see a bunch of tards with a M107 plus a SMAW plus 3 rounds for the SMAW plus 60 pounds of other gear jumping over fences.

The jumping could be implemented in such a way that it would reflect real jumping.

I thought that was what the step over feature was attempting to do? :confused:

I dont see how "real jumping" is in any way real on the battlefield. Do soldiers jump around with 50 pounds of equipment and an AT rocket on their back? Its not like you can jump waist high with both feet. What would be the point? You'd probably just... eh... vault over the obstacle instead...

Do soldiers jump around with 50 pounds of equipment and an AT rocket on their back?
I cant and I never could do such a "stunt. I remember a run on the obstacle course an a early morning after a night exercise...it took us ca. 3 minutes instead of the regular 1min. Wearing combat gear does not change you into a supernatural entity. Edited by Beagle

Heck strap on 30 pounds of gear and tell us you can jump much higher than you can take a big giant step. Arma 2 has already gone far and above most other games by not allowing you to be stopped by ankle high garbage on the roads the way a large number of others games tend too.

It's funny that like with the hipshooting thread, some people think that if you implement jumping it automatically turns this game into BF2. Personally I'd rather have no jumping than unrealistic jumping, but I do think that realistic jumping can and should be done. Not that I think they will do it simply based on all the other things that were easier to do and still weren't done.

oVpcvmvJCYg

Hey, look, soldiers with combat gear actually jumping! Sure it's nothing like the BF2 bunnyhopping (tbh should be called kangaroohopping) video someone posted on another thread, but it's jumping.

Couldn't find a video of the Arma 2 obstacle course but anyone can launch that mission and see the difference and how lame the Arma 2 "step over" system is.

Just because other games made very sucky jump systems doesn't mean that if Arma 2 will have jumping it'll be done in the same way. Just like the fact there is no jumping didn't turn it into GRAW where a piece of dust on the road forces you to take a detour.

Making it a gameplay option, or implementation via a modswitch would allow hosts to decide whether they want this feature to be available online.

If used however, i can see this feature getting abused and exploited by players, independant of how strict the implementation is.