Sign in to follow this  
<<Combatman>>

Help getting ArmA: Gold running

hi all.

my friend and i just finished a monster build and im excited to push arma as far as itll go but im havin some trouble. i installed arma gold and tried to start it and it had an error like "can not find file winsock32" something like that... i dont remember exactly what the message was but thats close. so i patched the game up to 1.14 and now itll start but come up a black screen with the special arma cursor but do nothing.

its obviously due to my xp 64 bit, but ive read that there's work-arounds. i just havent been able to find what those work-arounds are. (im new to 64 bit btw)

specs

xp pro 64 bit

8 GB ram

ATI Radeon HD 4890

AMD Phenom II X4 940 blk 3.0Ghz

please help im eager to get arma running.

also: will i have any trouble with arma II with 64 bit xp?

*bump*

help please?

Don't know if this would help but...I heard that ArmA would actually run better on NVIDIA than ATI.

i can tell youre trying to get your posts up, but make sure to give more constructive help other than "buy a new graphics card". if you couldnt tell, ive spent enough money on this build already and ive had to fix many issues in addition to trying to get all of my games to work. i come to *the* official bohemia interactive forums be told that nvidia runs arma better. through my 3 days of waiting (although not long, yet) ive spent hours researching and troubleshooting this as ive patiently waited for a reply. i have come acoss the fact that arma runs better on nvidia.

Now, what can we do to resolve the issue? im still getting 30 fps running arma in a window with normal settings. will i just have to deal with it? its barable but choppy sometimes.

again, let me be clear that im not raging at all. im frustrated and annoyed with my new comp and this inconvience, and ill admit that i have no idea what im doing on the 64 bit system. dont take it personally M. im not attacking you. ive tried to get my posts up on another forum too. just not in the help dept.

did you try limiting your RAM solution or running 1.16BetaPatch that I recommended on Kellys?

I've run and still running Arma1 on XP Pro x64 with no problem whatsoever.

Edited by Cross

yes, -maxmem 2047 didnt seem to change anything. also, the thing with the patch is that id like to be able to play online. id say that there arent many 1.16b servers up (or are there??).

I could care less about getting my post up. If I was trying to get my post up I would go to the off-topic forums and post there rather than waste someones time. The only reason I said what I said in my post was because that is what I heard on a Website......Please don't shoot the messenger. You think many of us don't go what you are going through? Just go through some of the post in here. I have already spent $1000 trying to run high quality games. That is why I am asking in a thread of my own specific questions.

Have you tried physically pulling out RAM sticks until you only have 2GB installed? Have you tried different ATI drivers? Whenever ATI comes out with a new card, I hear flakey stories that are related to drivers for the new card. But by now, the drivers should work fine with the 4890.

More desperate measures that could at least get you playing:

- set up a dual-boot with Win XP 32-bit

- load up Win 7 RC (32-bit or 64-bit) I'm running Arma on Win 7 64-bit but am using an Nvidia card tho.

- give up on XP 64-bit (but not Win 7 64-bit). It might at least get you playing.

I hope someone can give you the correct solution. Others are playing Arma on XP 64-bit. It might be a combination of your card/drivers and XP 64-bit.