Sign in to follow this  
randir14

Helicopter emergency landing

In the tutorial it tells you to aim the nose at the ground and decrease thrust. Is that how it's actually done in real life? And if so why?

What I've read, it seems that decreasing the main rotor gives it more kinetic energy as the moving air spins the blades. That energy can then be used to increase the rotor just before landing, slowing you down enough to survive the crash.

That's accurate enough to get the point across. This game has this feature but due to the non-existent physics you can not possibly do this properly.

Your natural instinct when your engine dies is to increase throttle and pull back, but that won't work unless you're already very close to the ground.

Instead, you should kill your throttle and nose down as soon as you realize your engine is dead, then flare up (bring your nose up again) and increase throttle as you approach the ground. (You can engage autohover close to the ground too, but I usually don't bother). It's all in the timing and it takes practice, but it can definitely work and save your virtual life. In the editor, put yourself in an airborne chopper and put a AA soldier on the ground nearby. When he kills your engine, you can practice emergency landings.

on most of these servers the natural instinct to do when the engine goes dead is to bailout and hope the chute works.......:j:

Hell, isn't that the normal way to land? Slow engine (or turn it off), come down, than flare up to burn off any extra speed and kill lift?

on most of these servers the natural instinct to do when the engine goes dead is to bailout and hope the chute works.......:j:

I try to crash land unless it is clearly evident that there is no way in hell that its going to work. I managed to crash land a hind today that only had 1 bar of armor left and a shot up rotor.

Auto-rotation is normally about descending as quickly as possible, using no collective, while maintaining forward movement, then at the last minute applying high collective to bite into the air and slow descent. In this sort of qausi-sim however anything goes.