Sign in to follow this  
rekrul

Running Arma2 from SSD

Should be an improvement for ArmA 2 to have it on an SSD, though you would be missing out by not using an SSD for your OS as well. Boot times and overall "snappiness" are amazing. :D

Yeah I have a 60gb ssd and had both arma2 and o/s running on it very nice. The problem was over time with addons and system downloads etc the drive became full and I had to format it which is a pain.

Maybe the only answer is to get a bigger ssd drive or what would happen if I had 2 ssd drives one for the o/s and the other for arma2 ?

Edited by LockJaw-65-

yeah i went upto a 128. But to keep it form really getting crowded, i use a 1TB HDD to keep the "SU pack"* files out of my Root A2OA ssd.(over 28GB right there!)

* Sixupdater.

But to get the best out of a SSD is to use it for the OS and PageFile. Win7x64 install is less than 20GB.a 6GB or less Page, so 26GB out of 64, or 128 SSD.

Should be an improvement for ArmA 2 to have it on an SSD, though you would be missing out by not using an SSD for your OS as well. Boot times and overall "snappiness" are amazing. :D

^ this

OS boot and processes will be hell lot faster on ssd, i kinda hate how big win 7 is eating up the space on the ssd tho.

Also turn off Hibernation, and delete the hidden hiberfil.sys.

cmd- powercfg -h off

I can get a 60gb SSD really cheap so should I get one and have this for my arma2 install. Keep the O/S on the other 60gb SSD and all my other files etc on my 1TD HDD.

Would this give the same performance as having both the O/S and Arma2 on the same SSD drive?

I can get a 60gb SSD really cheap so should I get one and have this for my arma2 install. Keep the O/S on the other 60gb SSD and all my other files etc on my 1TD HDD.

Would this give the same performance as having both the O/S and Arma2 on the same SSD drive?

you need to install arma and all the addons in the ssd to have an impact when playing the game. OS on the ssd will make your overall win 7 performs better. You can also use free software like steam mover to move games from normal hdd to the ssd later and can move it back when you're not playing it anymore.

Thanks for your imput but I mean is that I will have 3 hard drives 2 are SSD and the other a 1TB HDD. I will have the O/S on one of the SSDs and Arma on the other SSD. all my other files will be stored on the HDD. So will I get the same performance from arma this way

Also turn off Hibernation, and delete the hidden hiberfil.sys.

cmd- powercfg -h off

YES, I forgot about that but that is another major thing. It generally will take up as much space as you have RAM, so with 8-16 GB you are losing a ton of space. Thanks for the reminder.

---------- Post added at 10:48 ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 ----------

Thanks for your imput but I mean is that I will have 3 hard drives 2 are SSD and the other a 1TB HDD. I will have the O/S on one of the SSDs and Arma on the other SSD. all my other files will be stored on the HDD. So will I get the same performance from arma this way

Yeah, it should be about the same either way. I've run:

-Win7 and ArmA 2 on a single 80 GB SSD

-Win7 and ArmA 2 on a 2x 80 GB SSD RAID0

-Win 7 on a 80 GB SSD and ArmA 2 on a separate 80 GB SSD

Performance has seemed the same regardless in all cases. There may be some slight differences, as I never actually benchmarked, but the performance "feels" the same. Thing about SSD is that you're not really gaining framerate as much as reducing stutter from texture streaming and LOD swapping.

if you had too much cash -try put SSD's in Raid10/5.

or buy PCIe x4/x16 SSD with SLC flash, like Revo 4 from ECZ :)

Also ppl with SSD check disk alignment... free tool.

or use DISKPART.

Admin CMD-- DISKPART , List disk , select disk 0 , list partition ,

It will have the alignment. 1024 is mine.

Has anybody tried Win7 on the HDD, ArmA2 on the SSD? Will it run as fast as they both on the SSD?

yeah, i use the same setup. It also works that way. I also use steam mover to put some steam games on my ssd too to take advantage of the loading speed..