Sign in to follow this  
kronzky

Moveable Target Range

Brilliant.

but I can't get the ballistics info to show up. I use the radio to turn it on but no info shows.

Seems like the latest version of Arma broke the bullet tracking (as it also doesn't show any impact information anymore).

The ballistics information is only shown once the bullet has impacted somewhere, but since that doesn't seem to happen anymore, there's no impact info and no ballistics chart.

Hopefully I'll be able to look into it over the holidays...

Awesome work Kronzky. Very useful especially since ACE changed all the balistics. I used your training mission to get all the ranges for the sights. Even decided to publish a guide about it (no worries I gave you credit for the map with link and all ;) ).

The ballistics chart should be functional again now (V2.8.0).

The output has also been normalized in regards to the muzzle position (i.e. the chart shows the vertical offset during the flight, rather than the absolute height of the bullet). This should make it a bit easier to create comparison charts.

In addition, any ricochets (bullet bouncing off the ground) are not entered into the ballistics chart anymore.

I've also added the ability to abort the bulletcam (in case one goes "astray", and you'd have to wait until it finally hits the ground again). Press 0-0-0 during the flight to activate the radio code that aborts the tracking.

http://kronzky.info/targetrange/index.htm

Edited by Kronzky

I'm getting a strange thing happening when using this mission with the ACE mod. The number of magazines kept increasing (I was using the M4A1 holo when I noticed this).

This meant that the weight I was carrying quickly became very large (100+ kg), making me breathe hard after shooting a while and changing stance. You presumably don't need to run when using the range (you would black out immediately), but the loss of stamina also affects the aim, I think.

Is this a feature of the unlimited ammo system? Is it supposed to keep adding mags all the time, or is it a bug? This makes this excellent training tool difficult to use with the ACE mod and its weight based stamina system.

Im getting really frustrated, I am trying to download your mission but clicking your link and other sites refering to this mission simply take you to your page, but theres nothing to download from there. How do I get it?

HI! this training map is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!! So first of all Kudos!!! Second, I am running all the ACE 2 mods with combined operation via Six Updater. When I select "select a weapon" the calculator in the right side of the screen tallys till 236, then the "ticker" stops. but the sound keeps going and going and going for about 1min 21 seconds. then it stops and the weapons panel appears like normal.

This happens every time I use the ACE mods with this map.

I used your map with combined operation "Vanilla" and it worked normal. Is there something I am doing wrong? I didn't see any one else having this problem :( :( help please!! :D

It sounds like the bullet is not being destroyed when it hits the ground (as it should, and does, in the standard version), and just sits there on the ground, until it's "lifetime" expires.

You can easily check what's happening with the bullet by activating the bullet cam (via a radio call).

I don't have the ACE mod, so I'm just guessing - but if this is indeed what's happening, you might want to bring it up with the mod team.

Errhmm, how do I make this so it works in MP?

I've added 1 more man and copied the text in the 1st guy's initialization and I get 2 spots in the MP lobby. But when I start the mission it says, it cannot find the targetrange.sqf and no sripts works... :(

Errhmm, how do I make this so it works in MP?

You would have to rewrite all the scripts and dialogs to make them MP compatible. It'd be a massive job...

You would have to rewrite all the scripts and dialogs to make them MP compatible. It'd be a massive job...
Oh darn, oh thx anyways. I just made one more playable guy and erased the lines in initialization box. So I can drop some weaponboxex just for training. The important anyways, is to make you comfortible with the weapons. And I dont think you need the scripts for mp. He can still shoot the targets. :)

I am still really confused how to get these charts into excel. Even after reading the previous post, and i am sure for several other people that have used this mission are wondering the same thing. Any chance you can explain a bit more? Step by step on how to get it in excel?

I can reformat data easily enough, however im not seeing where i am supposed to copy it from?.

the above description makes it sound as if it should be displayed below the basic ballistic readout (elevation, distance, height etc) which is showing fine.. but there is nothing there (nor any obvious method to select and send to copy buffer)

i dont know if arma's scripting would allow external file access, but how about just dumping it in a text file in the mission dir?

assuming not... someone please explain how to get at the data

I can reformat data easily enough, however im not seeing where i am supposed to copy it from?.

You select the data in the field below the ballistics chart, just like you would copy something in Windows:

Hold down <Shift>, and move the cursor over the whole content.

Then press <Ctrl>-C to copy it, and either in Excel or some text editor you press <Ctrl>-P to paste it.

ballistics_hilight.gif

o.k.. thanks, problem however is, i cant find how to display the ballistics data.

iv tried everything in the comms and action menus with no joy.. the elevation hint will show, but not the ballistics data (assuming its on that same button), what am i doing wrong?.

oh, and the markers dont seem to work here either?

(A2OA, latest official patch)

Edited by OOPz

o.k.. thanks, problem however is, i cant find how to display the ballistics data.

I don't understand... In your previous post you stated that "the above description makes it sound as if it should be displayed below the basic ballistic readout (elevation, distance, height etc) which is showing fine..", but now you say that you can't see the ballistics data at all???

I just tried it with 1.07, and ballistics chart and impact markers were working fine (I don't have 1.08 installed yet, but I doubt that 1.08 would've broken both of those features).

o.k... after quite some slog, removing start options and mods, making a new player profile and generally breaking my whole setup i have found the problem

it doesnt work when the game is in windowed mode.

as soon as i switched to fullscreen the behaviour changed dramatically, bullet tracking works much more reliably (not telling me 'could not track bullet XYZ' almost every time) and the ballistics data button started the confirmation bong noise and now reports as expected. (i cant seem to get the bullet cam working anymore tho, either fullscreen or windowed)

so, that could be something to look into?

(when i said "the basic ballistic readout" i was referring to the string of white text that can be seen on your screenshot on the first post ([AK_74] impact: elev:-0.85...))

anyhow, im up n running now, thanks :)

Edited by OOPz

Is there a version of this for OA?

Also works with OA, ACE etc.....

Has it been updated to work with ACE?

Guys, can anyone help me interpret the results of the ballistic chart.

Below are the weapon and firing characteristics

Weapon: M4A1

Ammo: B_556x45_Ball

Elevation: 0.65

X-offset: 0.2

Target Distance: 300m

Avg. speed: 739 m/s

firing position: prone

I take it that the elevation represents the angle of rifle relative to the ground. From what I've read in the the forums, the M4 and M16 rifles were supposed to be zeroed at 300m. Does this mean that the closer the elevation is from 0 in the zeroed distance the better?

What does X-offset mean? Would this by any chance be the wind differential from the aiming point?

Now, for the results:

Distance Height of impact (?)

0 - 0

50 - 0.167336

109 - 0.443062

152 - 0.606375

204 - 0.757908

254 - 0.84304

300 - 0.865608

Does the second column represent the height of bullet impact? And this case, does it mean I hit the riflemen at 0.9m, roughly in the chest area?

Thanks in advance for the help : )

I take it that the elevation represents the angle of rifle relative to the ground. From what I've read in the the forums, the M4 and M16 rifles were supposed to be zeroed at 300m. Does this mean that the closer the elevation is from 0 in the zeroed distance the better?

What does X-offset mean? Would this by any chance be the wind differential from the aiming point?

Now, for the results:

Distance Height of impact (?)

0 - 0

50 - 0.167336

109 - 0.443062

[...]

Does the second column represent the height of bullet impact? And this case, does it mean I hit the riflemen at 0.9m, roughly in the chest area?

The "elevation" is the vertical angle you held your weapon at when you fired it (positive means you were pointing it up, negative means you pointed it down).

To get comparable charts you would try to fire when that value is as close to 0 as possible.

OTOH, to check optics, you would raise the weapon according to what the optics would tell you (which will normally give you a positive value for the elevation).

The "x-offset" is the horizontal distance at the impact point from where it should've landed theoretically.

AFAIK wind does not affect bullet travel in the standard version of Arma, but bullets have a random distribution, the severity of which depends on the ammo type.

The second column in the chart represents the drop of the bullet at that distance.

It starts out at 0 (when it leaves the barrel). Then, for some weapons, it may go upward for a while (positive value), after which gravity will take over, and it will drop towards the ground (negative value).

The normal firing height for a person is about 1.5m, so if the bullet has a drop of 0.8m after 300m that means it would hit the target at a height of 0.7m (1.5-0.8).

As this has been bumped I thought I would add that this is a perfect for testing not only weapons but weapon sound mods and effects, use it all the time for all this type of testing, a real gem :)

I've decided to spend more time with your awesome mission after some frustrating SP mission where I couldn't hit a freakin' thing.

Few questions:

1. Is there a way to enable a "permanent spotter view" i.e. a small camera view zoomed on where I aim.

It's that it's easy to practice scoped weapons shooting but when it comes to non-scoped... especially the primitives with gun sights that totally obstruct the view below aiming point like in AK-47 series. I don't see where I, well, miss...

2. Is there a way to make the soldier NOT disappear like a ghost but have him like he would normally behave in a mission?

3. Can I make the soldier react to wounds like he would in a normal mission?

By default he's like terminator.

a very noob question.. i cannot get to run this on OA vanilla, no mods no nothing, very new and trying to get the hang of it... it says that I cannot play the mission that it depends on downlodeable contents... I hace placed both folders in the mission folders and they do show.