Sign in to follow this  
LockDOwn

Ok, the grass clutter is making me not want to play anymore

I HATE the grass that blinds you from seeing out when you lay down but disappears to those 50 yards away from you.

PLEASE introduce some sort of blending into the grass grass tile as in other game. It is a game killer as it stands now.

Yeah, turn off grass and get a game as ugly as in the '90... We need a real fix, thanks.

Just, oh I dunno... TURN OFF GRASS.

can only be reduced server side.

I really like it, though I have to admit, hiding in grass makes it easier for the enemy to see you than for you to see them. Changing the grass won't fix this imo, extra "extra low-Q" grass needs to be put in after the normal stuff or something, and one member mentioned something about using masks at distance to simulate grass obscurement.

Especially when playing against AI the grass often kills it.

You can barely see him, but he can see you just perfect.

Yup, main problem for me with grass clutter is AI, as long as you know the grass disappear at distance, against humans you'll adapt and only use it for CQB. But it doesn't even exists in CQB for AI and puts you at big disadvantage :(

That + it kills performance (but adds greatly to immersion)

At least make it half the height of what it currently is.

seriously there should be areas where its LESS or more bare, i mean come on. but one thing you can do is roll all over the grass like a damn fool for 5 minutes n ull get a semi flattened area.

one thing you can do is roll all over the grass like a damn fool for 5 minutes n ull get a semi flattened area.

Like this?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJBKyTfCjCc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJBKyTfCjCc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Like this?

Just like that :)

when crawling through grass, stop, crawl forward to flatten the grass, crawl back and you will have a clearing, more or less like real life.

have fun..

There are places with less grass. Check the area please.

There are two issues though. One is that the grass is "plopping" out instead of fading in and out as you move. The other one is that people lying in high grass where grass isnt rendered will be totally seen. I dont know how to fix that though. People talking about transparancy, but you cant just make a whole unit transparant at distance. The transparancy needs to come if that unit lays down/sits behind tall grass, and i dont know how easy it is to make (even though it would be awesome). But we cant just be transparant because we are far away.

But i hope BIS comes up with some solution to shape the possible final ARMA game as much as they can.

Alex

Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising dealt with this 4-years-ago by blending the player into the unrendered grass. This made them hard to see, unless they moved. I'd say this problem needs to be top of the list for BI.

Edited by BigDukSixx

AI having a direct advantage over a player with LOS is a given, however complaining about the grass clutter and being able to see through is pretty rediculous.... can you see through grass now? Do you have x-ray vision, Superman? I mean really folks. It's attempting to simulate real time, not "omg I can't pwnt and see through objects". It's grass and vegitation, if you can't see then MOVE so you can see.

setTerrainGrid 50;

"It breaks imersion" or "it looks like a 90's game" are not good enough arguements compared to how much it can screw gameplay.

The solution BIS used in Arma was a flat layer where the character models would "sink", it worked somewhat but looked bad too.

But the worst of it was this:

-You are in the grass and spot a target.

-You go prone but get blind by the grass.

-You stand up to find an clear spot and??

Well.. theres no grass past a 50 meters circle around you but since the grass follows you like a spell you are screwed.

No way, i'll pretend the animals eat all the grass.

setTerrainGrid 50;

Well.. theres no grass past a 50 meters circle around you but since the grass follows you like a spell you are screwed.

A good solution for them to try would be to add to the distance fade of the radial clutter/flora vise a "radial" cut-off distance. I agree though that it needs some blending and a little further distance. I'm sure due to performance issues it's not likely to have it expanded out to the set viewing distance but maybe there's a happy medium that can be met.

The grass would be fine if just the AI bots wouldn't have X-ray vision.

It's so lame that you can't see through the grass but the AI can...

It's not realistic.

The solution is simple, since the grass gives so many problems and the only solution to some of these problems is bad worarounds, just make it short!

I mean.. people complain that they are seen and shot thru the grass, or that the game looks bad without the grass or even that the grass is bad on the frame rates.

I think short grass should solve everyones problems.

Yeah I don't know of many areas in the world that are 99% covered with ~0.5m high grass. Then again I also don't know of areas that have perfectly smooth terrain with almost no rocks/bumbs/whatever.

AI having a direct advantage over a player with LOS is a given, however complaining about the grass clutter and being able to see through is pretty rediculous.... can you see through grass now? Do you have x-ray vision, Superman? I mean really folks. It's attempting to simulate real time, not "omg I can't pwnt and see through objects". It's grass and vegitation, if you can't see then MOVE so you can see.

I think you are missing the point.

If everyone had grass around them from your POV, that would be fine. But, assuming you have played the game, you notice that the radial clutter is only about 40yds around you. That means anyone further out may not be able to see you because of their imposed grass, but to you, they are WIDE open.

They are ways to fix this as we have mentioned and wish BIS would implement them. Until then it is just frustrating and takes away a lot from them game.

---------- Post added at 08:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 PM ----------

The solution is simple, since the grass gives so many problems and the only solution to some of these problems is bad worarounds, just make it short!

I mean.. people complain that they are seen and shot thru the grass, or that the game looks bad without the grass or even that the grass is bad on the frame rates.

I think short grass should solve everyones problems.

We have listed this as some of our options.

I think short grass is the answer. Just have long grass in scattered patches etc and let the longer grass patches render from further away and hide u just like trees do.

Or maybe if the player is in longer grass just make them go prone with weapons higher on these patches

I dunno it's a tough one to answer i guess.

Would having more shorter grass than long grass help fps a little?

I think short grass is the answer.

Which is the way ArmA1 did it. Then BI decided they needed ArmA2 to look better so they greatly increased the height, density and complexity of grass, adding patches of high grass and the like. The end result is pure eye candy to sell the game, anyone actually playing it will immediately realize the grass is completely fubar.