Sign in to follow this  
BD1

Very strange sound issue!

Dear all,

I have added some custome sounds to my mission and I have noticed something bizarre happening and hope you may have some ideas.

Here is what I have created for a TvT mission.

I created a OGG file, the proper setup, i.e. 16 bit, 44100ghz and listed the files in my Description.ext.

When I create a trigger, the files are viewable to select from the Trigger effects menu, under "Voice". However here is the problem, when the guys in this case in the aircraft here the sound file it sounds ok (some massive random sound level issues but mainly ok) however, everyone can hear the sound on the map.

Here is the problem, The further you are away from the trigger and the sound the faster it sounds on playback until the aircraft gets nearer. So in example;

First trigger goes off and sound plays, on the aircraft it sounds fine (better outside than inside and also random on volume level despite set DB in the des.ext). But the further you are away from the trigger (i.e. Opfor) the more "Cartoon" like the sound is, i.e much faster and higher pitch than intended.

Then the next trigger activates a little closer to the Opfor and the sound reduces in pitch and speed slightly and while not as bad is still comical.

With VON all out of whack at the moment I cannot use Radio and so have to use a trigger based action (I believe).

Can anyone explain why the "player" no matter where they are, gets a different pitch and speed version of the trigger sound, depending on how far they are away from the trigger?

Is there a way to solve this? Is this an ArmA2 bug? and ideally I dont want anyone on the ground hearing these sounds as they are meant for the guys in the aircraft only anyway "I.e. jump signals", can the sounds be made so that only the Blufor hear them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

BD1

Can anyone explain why the "player" no matter where they are, gets a different pitch and speed version of the trigger sound, depending on how far they are away from the trigger?

No idea what might cause it. Have you checked it in the editor, means have you moved the trigger away from the player entity ? Does the same happen ?

and ideally I dont want anyone on the ground hearing these sounds as they are meant for the guys in the aircraft only anyway "I.e. jump signals", can the sounds be made so that only the Blufor hear them?

Change the condition of the trigger... something like this:

some_condition && playerSide == west && player in crew aircraft

(though I guess that only BLUFOR players are actually in the plane so you wouldn't need playerSide == west :))

You could also use say:

aircraft say "jumpsignal";

Xeno

Haha.... great^^

You use the sound as "Voice" in the trigger, that means that the unit that activate the trigger is "saying" the sound. The doppler-effect (that is simulated in arma) cause your "strange" sound behaviour but its physicaly correct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doppler_effect

If you want a sound, that is local int he triggerarea and dont comes from the aircraft, change sound to ambit or something.

make sure the sounds u recorded are MONO and not STEREO.

from the Arma1 editing guide : http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=4847

*Chapter 2.10- the sound files

sound files without music should be converted as MONO files with a frequency of 44.100 kHz. its important to convert the soundtracks as mono to use the distance effect. Notice stereo sounds always become Global

Haha.... great^^

You use the sound as "Voice" in the trigger, that means that the unit that activate the trigger is "saying" the sound. The doppler-effect (that is simulated in arma) cause your "strange" sound behaviour but its physicaly correct.

Well, after thinking a little bit about the problem...

Just convert your ogg file to mono, Blackdog, and you will not have that problem again. Nothing todo with doppler effect as it is allways working fine with mono files.

Edit... Ka-Oz was faster :)

Xeno

UPDATE - Well done Neo....spot on fella! It was indeed a problem by using the sounds from the "voice" drop down menu. I switched and used the "Anonymous" drop down and the sounds play perfectly!

Now, if I can just find a way to play them only to the West side, that would be great!! Thanks for your help

Cheers

BD1

Edited by BD1

NP....

If you want the sound to play only on west side, you must edit the triggers condition:

this AND (side player==West)

This means that the trigger only fired, if the conditions above (activation west, infinite blahblah) is true AND if the side of the player is west (this DONT change the condition, which vehicles can activate the trigger)

Just convert your ogg file to mono, Blackdog, and you will not have that problem again. Nothing todo with doppler effect as it is allways working fine with mono files.

If you have stereo files the sound is not changed in pitch. The problem with stereosounds is, that you can hear them EVERYWHERE like music. There is no difference between mono and stereo regarding the pitch and lenght of the track.

Edited by NeoArmageddon

If you have stereo files the sound is not changed in pitch. The problem with stereosounds is, that you can hear them EVERYWHERE like music. There is no difference between mono and stereo regarding the pitch and lenght of the track.

Thanks for the info. I made various checks now, but I didn't encounter that problem with any kind of sound files.

Xeno

Just place a flying f35 over your head and let it say a beep tone. Thats propably the "issue" blackdog had

All my files were Mono guys, I forgot to mention that in the original post. However if you record yourself say "oh look over there" and you use the "voice" section from the effects menu, it does in fact do something strange in that the sound changes pitch and speed the further you are away from it. (other side of the map, etc).

Yet when you use another effects menu like "anonymous" the problem does not happen. So I think it is ArmA's way of trying to play the sound to the further away units and changing the speed and pitch is it's way of trying to give the effect of distance maybe?

Anyway, the side specific action above is a great help. Once again many thanks guys.

BTW - Congrats on the Bis Mission Award Xeno.... good work fella!

Edited by BD1