Sign in to follow this  
nyran125

Hire military people to do your voice acting.

I m absolutely flabergasted how you want this to be THE military Simulator of todays gaming , yet you dont want real military people to do the voice acting? Personally i think OPeration Flashpoint 2 hopefully will realise that you cant in todays gaming have such atrocious approaches to piss taking. Because thats what it sounds like when your playing the game, some guys reading the script and taking the piss out the game. If you want people to take your game seriously then you should get some seriousness into your game. Starting with that AWFUL voice cue little kid acting. I just dont understand some of the design choices. Its great to still have a game that does what it can for realism but then destroy the realism with fake voice acting? doesnt make sense.

Personally I think it's something we have to accept with devs were English is not their language.

Edited by DayGlow
Spelling

When the military gets involved with games your get horrendous outcomes such as America's Army 3.

Umm... Do military people speak differently to other people?

No they do not. Also, it's what they say that matters, not how they say it.

I don't mind the acting at all in this - sure it sounds odd sometimes but it's acceptable given they aren't English speaking devs. I love the intro of the trial by fire mission. :D

1. Cooper is african american. His voice is clearly that of a white man.

2. Your team leader, Miles, sounds like a 14-year-old white boy (seriously).

This is only mildly annoying, but they should have hired different voice actors. Saying that English is not their native speaking language, and therefore they are excused, is a very poor excuse.

Not game breaking or anything. It's just, like, what were they thinking?

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=76870&page=2

Edited by Zarunil

One think I have learned from my studies in Belgium, you can never be truly sure if the one who speak is black or white based on the voice!

Also, there are thing common with the native language the people speak. I know a black mens, who speak very good czech/ french and without knowing they are black you would assume that they are.

Also, Zarunil, it's maybe not a good excuse, but take in knowledge, that many people in czech republic haved not the change to learn that language because under the eastern block the foreign language that most people lerned was russian. And spending money on voice actor, yes it would be nice to have maybe correct prononciation, but no everyone have money like blizzard to spend on this.

For the few brief moments I could play the game (before it became totally unplayable due to like zillion gamebreaking bugs...another issue though), I think the Americans are dubbed by native speakers (hard to say weather soldiers by profession:o). On the other hand, the Czernarussians (or what is the country called) are dubbed by native Czechs, which is clearly for purpose to simulate an east-european country.

What really pissed me off though was when my character (the American soldier, normally speaking English) spoke Czech (which is probably Czernarussian in the game world:o) to the locals. Dunno know if this is only in my Czech version of the game...?

I hardly think a regular American soldier would learn Czech, which is officially one of the most difficult languages in the world (no offence to US soldier;o).

Edited by ShaiCZ

It is stated that one of the Razor team studied eastern europe languages, so he speak chernarussian. Kinda funny cause czech language is central europe language, but who know chernarussian maybe isnt :D

One think I have learned from my studies in Belgium, you can never be truly sure if the one who speak is black or white based on the voice!

That may be true in Europe, but here in the States I would guess that most people can make a very good guess about another American's skin color based on how they sound over the radio or the phone and most of the time they would be right. There have been more than a few studies done as well as investigative reports where people are discriminated against, especially about job openings, based on if they "sound black."

Edited by Ebud

I think that you are right in this, I think that it would be different compared europe to america. I dont want to be offencive or like that but it maybe have to do something with the integration in the society and historical acces to them.

/5char

Edited by Vandrel

That is the most rediculous thing I have seen someone comment here. How are you able to tell the "color" of a person by their voice aside from obvious slangs and language useage of certain geographical locations?

Not sure what rock you've been living under your whole life but people can sound black, white, mexican etc.

Funny blog articles about talking white part 1, part 2

The flip side... ebonics

Many people like to say that there is no difference to be PC, but there are language differences here in the U.S. and there is nothing wrong or racist with pointing it out.

Umm... Do military people speak differently to other people?

They do in the UK. You can tell a squaddy a mile off just from how they talk.

/5char

Edited by Vandrel

Aye a ken{i know},,,lol you would here me a mile away laddie!!

I would love to hear real mil radio ingame.

Edited by doc_no1

Personally I think it's something we have to accept with devs were English is not their language.

I don't mind the acting at all in this - sure it sounds odd sometimes but it's acceptable given they aren't English speaking devs. I love the intro of the trial by fire mission. :D

^^ Why should it be something we accept? My money was good enough for them? This "accepting" thing is something atune to, near enough is good enough and I don't "accept" that from anyone.

HAVING said that, who listens to the voice acting, MP is what this game is about :) And that is just awesome, some bugs which will go soon will make it the best online experience ever =)

The rock I've been living under is a educated society, if your argument is that people sound different due to their ethnic backgrounds then you are sadly living in the past. A person's accent and language differences is not based on color but rather as I pointed out.... geographical location.

You are wrong and there are mountains of data, countless lawsuits and countless studies that disagree with you. Someone does not have to speak like Master P or Jesse to "sound black". Also your two examples have nothing to do with location but social standing and education yet when you hear them speak... they sound black. You can argue this all day but you would be wrong. I can prove my point, you cannot.

It is stated that one of the Razor team studied eastern europe languages, so he speak chernarussian. Kinda funny cause czech language is central europe language, but who know chernarussian maybe isnt :D

What gets me is that all the road signs and such are impossible to read unless you REALLY know Czech... I mean, if your character knows the language, you should be able to read the signs... kinda weird.

/5char

Edited by Vandrel

I am not the one suggesting people sound a certain way due to their color of skin, that is you.

WTF are you going on about? Are you honestly saying that if you were on the radio and 50 african americans and 50 white americans spoke 1-2 sentences that you could not tell who was black or who was white in most cases? There is a difference in the way MANY white and blacks speak in america... it's a fact. That's not racist, it's just true. How you react to that is a different story.

Personally I thought Darth Vader was chinese..imagine my surprise! :rolleyes:

There are diferences, its not for nothing that the adage goes that "white men can't sing the blues", but its not hard and fast. Most of the recognisable characterists in a persons speech come from anumber of factors, including social upbringing, education - (a person with a masters degree for example would probably shed most traces of regional dialect), and location/region, (not to be confused with regional accents - but again to do with peers and upbringing).

I would imagine, if you did the test suggested here in this thread, guessing what colour a speaker is, with 25 old white men from Maine in New England all saying "Ayua". You might think it "sounds black"? Same with 25 black guys from Glasgow saying "Gie awa yer schemey wide-o", probably "sound white".

Chances are you'd get some right...but most if spoken with a netral accent, (Queens English like Trevor McDonald for example :p :rolleyes:...joke), it be hit an miss.

Re the OP. 2 good voice actors in CoD 4 Cpt Price and Gaz, were voiced by actors famous for their role in a damn soap opera, (Eastenders & The Bill). And to be honest, I cant think think of someone more likely to take the piss out of a game than soldiers.

Edited by Bascule42
typo..theres always one

What gets me is that all the road signs and such are impossible to read unless you REALLY know Czech... I mean, if your character knows the language, you should be able to read the signs... kinda weird.

The signs are written in cyrillic, another move to make the place feel more eastern.