Sign in to follow this  
andersson

Arma2 roads vs Arma1

The AI cannot drive on the roads of Sahrani (CAA1, oac). I thought that it was maybe the road p3ds that contained some new stuff for the AI as they now drives on the right side instead of in the middle of the road. So I changed the Sahrani tarmac roads to Chernarus tarmac roads (looked quite ok actually). But the AI is still all over the road and dont want to use it properly.

Anyone know anything about this? What needs to be done to make the AI use the roads as intended? BIS, help?

Have you tried setting the AI's experience and training higher?

ex: create a AI character and a empty car, set the AI to max training, etc. and then make the AI get in the vehicle and drive point A to B

Very possible, because AI needs some sort of invisible "path" "below" the actual road. This is set with the Visitor Map-Making Toolset and it is only one single "lane" in Arma1 optimized maps, so its quite possible that Arma2 has/needs/requires 2 "lanes" left and right "below" a placed road for the new AI feature of driving left and right.

I would say that the roads in ArmA2 could be more complexed then the ones in ArmA1. Though they wouldn't need this if the AI were reconfigured to act differently in them.

The roads in ArmA1 are actually very simple to make them work, though AIs drive in the middle of the road.

We as community can not help much if some of the road features were updated and improved. we have to wait and see what BIS made for the roads in ArmA2.

Would be nice to have a word from the developer who are responsible for ArmA2 roads.

Do the roads in ArmA2 have the same feature as the ones in ArmA1?

edit: @mr.g-c: ArmA1 roads do not need to have any kind of special "lane" to work properly, the roads just need some basic and simple LODs and they also need to be closed on both sides, this was already discussed.

In ArmA1 the AI drives in the middle of the roads, but if the AI were reprogrammed they could act differently in these roads, say use right side. I believe the problems AI have in ArmA2 roads are due to their intelligence or the way they were optimized to use a single side instead. I believe BIS can make this work with time.

Edited by bravo 6

The A2 roads are technically the same as the A1 ones. I assume that if you binarize a wrp with A1 binarize that the road positions in the wrp(OPRW) are calculated the A1 way.

As I wrote, I did change the roads on Sahrani from the original roads into roads taken from Chernarus. So I doubt the problem is in the roads p3ds.

There is definately a code differance in how they are setup, the new ArmA2 roads have different vertices settings (memory lod) and thus require manual placement in Visitor as it cannot find the right points for the easier roadlaying method from ArmA1.

However, I have a series of manually placed ArmA2 roads and the AI has no issues driving, in fact the section I built at the entance to my base in the ArmA1 version had to be done using two roads side by side as there is run of concrete barriers for lane control and we all know ArmA1 driver drive in the middle, well in ArmA2 they are driving in the lanese so I need place less and can use a whole road section for both sides, and the AI avoids the barrier. Also helps that I placing the second class road (not sure of name of top of head) at 130% size so its a little wider.

Only MLOD road models have working 'snap to' points.

Planck

Any news about this issue now as the tools are released?

I tried Pollo by Goeth. As the roads work there, is it possible for us to make them work on arma1 islands?

Anyone with some insight and some experience with V3 and islands?