Sign in to follow this  
dominick32

Suggestion: Rank Structure and High Command System

I have a few suggestions and crazy future patch or release ideas.

I would add a few ranks: First Sgt., Lt. Col., Brigadier General, and General (4 star). Allow built in and fluid high command for each level. Idea = instead of a single High Command Module. Assign a seperate module for Platoon Level, Company Level, Battalion Level, Brigade Level, and Division Level. This will allow a single man at the top (4 star general preferable) to command the division, which would tell the Brigadier General's of the seperate Brigades/Divisions what to do, who in turn would tell there battalion commanders (LTC's) what to do, and so on and so forth down the line. So each level in the chain of command would have there own high command module to sync.

This would allow us to expand beyond company command of platoons which is all we can do in ARMA2 right now. After this is done, we would be 1 step closer to having the ultimate military simulator. I would also make it so that every company would need to have a first sergeant as company NCO in charge.

Here is another little out of the ordinary idea that I have.

PROMOTIONS, DEMOTIONS, and BATTLEFIELD COMISSION's.

Here is where this crazy idea of mine gets really crazy. Have a real time ranking system where if your superior officer dies in combat you can be promoted by the next superior to his rank or if there are no officers higher than you, you would automatically take his rank. Also, a system where you can discipline soldiers effecting there morale. If you feel a soldiers skill level is lacking and he is not obeying orders, or hasnt had 1 kill the whole battle, you can demote him one rank and this will increase his skill level slightly so his morale gets back up to par and he starts working harder for you to get his rank back because of fear of getting shipped out.

Something else, to show a soldier that you are appreciative of his kills or support, you can battlefield promote him one rank (this would be a short cutscene or realtime of you actually putting the oakleaves, or putting the gold bar (2nd lt) right onto his/her collar), or battlefield commission a non commissioned officer to 2nd lt so he can be in charge of his platoon. This would increase both skill and morale. This would also happen automatically, as it already does currently in ARMA2 when the superior dies.

I would also request that "the brass" or all the rank insignia be fully visible in the next patch and that subordinates show more discipline to superior officers. Maybe giving us more options to boss subordinates around like do push-ups, do sit-ups, run a mile. Ask them "are you eye balling me like your first drill sgt in basic"? Have them respond in the 3rd person. Make them line up for attendance in a tight line. Order them to stand to attention, order them at ease, order them when an officer enters the area to attention, etc. etc. lol (right now we only have three options when talking to sub's weather, targets, sitrep, etc.) This would make the game more fun and realistic, may even be funny at times.

OK, hopefully you dont take my crazy ideas as too psycho. lol

Edited by dominick32

ArmA scale is not that big. You wish way too much.

I told you I was crazy in advance. lol But, I am not talking use the entire scale. It would just be really cool to have the options to go "that high" though. I am talking at a minimum have control over the battalion as an LTC and have the proper module to make all units function as 1. "move at the same time, 1 unit, 1 waypoint = 1 battalion and the proper subordinate support under.

So imagine yourself as an LTC, having high command control over 4 companies each with there own Captains commanding 5 platoons within each company and having everything controlled by sending your 4 company captains to a certain waypoint and having them command all of the underlings/subs. (currently this is hard to do because you would see every single group (squad, platoon, company, etc. of 12 units) as one single high command unit and like 15 to 25 different groups/waypoints instead of 4 companys and 4 waypoints. I think we can improve on the high command function of ARMA2 tremendously without much work either.

Edited by dominick32

ArmA scale is not that big. You wish way too much.

It is not crazy, it is simple. BIS simply does not see the need for a better CoC control.

A graphical tree structure for editing the CoC for a mission offline and a similar to change it ingame must be very simple.

And you could keep it that generic so that you could name the ranks by yourself as well as the CoC structure.

e.g.:

Side: Retarded-Fraction

Showmaster->Masterclown -> Slaveclown->Idiot

I would be happy if there were separate Modules for Squads and Platoons.

Platoon Commander high-commands (is that a verb?) the Squad Leaders, Squadleaders high-command the Fire Team leaders, and those command their FT members (like the SL's do now with the SM's).

*sigh*

I highly agree that Arma2 could use more ranks. But at the lower end, not the higher end. The current colonel rank is well above what is needed in terms of ranks. I wouldn't mind general and other high ranking officers though as model, mostly as they make good targets ;)

If for no other reason, check out the realistic marine ranks in OFDR. A rank system should be simply an array of named ranks depending on the faction they belonged to. Since army and marine ranks doesn't use the same naming conventions (and most like not the russians either :)).

Please BOHEMIA, make a realtime online Ranking system ( exemple BF2 ), is better for you = more buying Game worlwide, the Game ist nice. Your Concurrent Codemasters make a online Ranking now.

Sorry for my english ! ;-)

So make a script. Well actually Im working on something like this (now for OFP, late I will transfer it into Arma 2). But if you want to, you can make another or try to help ;)

that is a brilliant idea, and exactly what i want. it would be so much easier to use the high command system with this addition.

great idea hope Bohemia take up this idea