Sign in to follow this  
Redfield-77

What is your favorite ARMA 2 Loadout?

what is a ghost ring?

Its a term used online in MP by infantry teams for individual AI that get lost or stuck in a rock or building on the map, of which you spend far too much time hunting down in order to complete the objective to move onto the next, which gets very frustrating.

The actual term comes from "Invisible Ass".

IE: "Can anyone spot this last tango? I cannot locate his invisible ass for shit, we need to destroy this damn ghost ring otherwise this missions toast".

Well known to many clans and COOP servers. I think it originated from early OFP clans, very much Arma based MP terminology.

As regards load outs I could not say specifically as I change alot per missions but ACOG M4's seem to be a main stay for me.

Edited by mrcash2009

I think he was referring to ghost ring sights. Google a picture of them, it's just a type of iron sight

AA12 + 5 drums of explosive ammo + 1 drum of pellets for cqb :bounce3:

Any launcher with 2 or 3 rockets

G17

unfortunately on most servers theres no AA12 so i go with anything else with scope/IR sight :icon_wink:

FN FAL + mags

2x RGO frags

Colt M1911A1 + mags

Binoculars

US khaki patrol pack with extras, usually extra FN mags, 2 satchels and a grenade.

M4 CCO, with 203 and SD attachment.

4 - 30 round mags

2 frag grenades

1 AT4

8 - 203 rounds

Map tools

GPS

Safety Goggles

Ear Plugs

Binoculars

NVGoggles (when dark)

My Brain

A corpsman whenever possible

I play Arma 2 Free:

Primary is M4A1 M203 ACOG (inventory full of 30 Round STANAG but I have 1 Frag and 1 white smoke grenade for extraction)

Secondary slot has 8 M203 HE Rounds :P

rocket launcher: AT4! hooah!

This loadout will make you unstoppable in the field.

x1 M16A4 MWS/M203 GLM with ACOG RCO optic

x1 Beretta M9 pistol

x1 M136 AT4 rocket launcher

x1 laser rangefinder

x1 AN/PVS-7 night vision device

x1 compass

x1 GPS module

x1 map

x1 radio

x1 wristwatch

x6 30-round STANAG magazine

x3 M67 fragmentation hand grenade

x3 M83 white smoke grenade

x8 15-round Beretta M9 magazine

x1 M136 AT4 HEDP 502 rocket

Edited by Laqueesha

I use a modified version of Laqueesha's apparently. As I fly transport helos most of the time I find it comes in handy to carry colored smoke, a single satchel (I normally play Domi, and if I get shot down beyond the red line and the bird lands intact I blow it up, to both simulate preventing it from being captured and to have it respawn), and enough M203 rounds to cover my ass as I run towards my extraction LZ if I get shot down.

x1 M16A4 ACOG M203

x1 M1911

x1 NVGs

x1 Compass

x1 GPS

x1 Map

x1 Radio

x1 Watch

x6 30rnd STANAG

x1 Satchel Charge

x2 Frag Grenades

x1 White Smoke Grenade

x1 Red Smoke Grenade

x1 Purple Smoke Grenade (It's the most visible from a pilots perspective. Comes in handy big time when the shit hits the fan and you need CAS or EVAC.)

x2 M1911 Magazines

x5 M203 HE Grenades

x1 M203 White Smoke Grenade

I guess my personal bias for real-life weapons effects my choices in ARMA. I just really hate the 5.56mm round... so by extension, I don't want my life depending on an M16 or M4. They're both great guns, don't get me wrong, but the ammo is slightly above a pellet gun or .22LR imho... :p

I want at least a 7.62 / .308-cal between me and death. For me, the recoil is totally tolerable and the ammo/gun is light enough, so I don't see the said merits of the 5.56. I want to know that when I shoot you that you will fall, and you won't bother me anymore... probably because you're dead. That's what a battle rifle is for, me thinks...

What I take in the field in ARMA all depends on the situation, just like it should in the real world. If I'm going into a dense urban environment, I'll take the MP-5 instead of a rifle... 5 shots to the chest at 30m seems to do the trick, lol. If I'm playing as American, just give me anything >= 7.62 with plenty ammo, 2x 'nades and a good M9 or M1911. I also like the Makarov, despite its low powered rounds (probably 'cuz I love my real Hungrarian Mak), because a head shot in the dark seems to work. Some scoff at the idea that soldiers should carry a pistol too, but they've gotten me home on too many occasions to ignore! And if my choice MUST be a 5.56mm, I honestly like the AK-107GL best. One of my favs:

M-14

M9-SD

2x Hand grenades

Binos/Rangefinder

NV Goggles

I can hit nearly anything I can see with the M-14, and they usually die with very little convincing... :bounce3:

I've started to like the AK-74 a lot for zombie missions. Can't argue with 30 rounds and patient headshots.

Love the M60 or GPMG. Suppression's the name of the game here, if anyone is stupid enough to pop out then they usually go down without too much fuss.

I want at least a 7.62 / .308-cal between me and death. For me, the recoil is totally tolerable and the ammo/gun is light enough, so I don't see the said merits of the 5.56.

You don't see the merits of 5.56 because they are not properly simulated in Arma. Add that to average engagement ranges much longer than the RL average engagement range and you get 7.62 dominating the battlefield whenever a soldier can actually pick it over 5.56.

You don't see the merits of 5.56 because they are not properly simulated in Arma. Add that to average engagement ranges much longer than the RL average engagement range and you get 7.62 dominating the battlefield whenever a soldier can actually pick it over 5.56.

... what merits?

Hey new to ArmA2 and loving this, especially that I can be British. :D

Isn't the 5.56 meant to tumble better once hitting its target causing more damage inside and leaving the round still in there whilst 7.62 are more likely to just go through and through?

Isn't the 5.56 meant to tumble better once hitting its target causing more damage inside and leaving the round still in there whilst 7.62 are more likely to just go through and through?

7.62x51 might "just" go through, but it will also more likely kill the target. The way 5.56 has been criticized by its users in war zones, I wouldn't put that much faith in the tumbling effect or whatever hydrostatic shock the small varmint round is supposed to cause as opposed to larger, more powerful calibers.

5.56 from a 20" barrel is bounds ahead of 5.56 from the M4's 14.5" barrel.

Regardless, you won't see me with a 5.56 rifle if 7.62 is available. FN FAL or go home.

5.56 IRL is much more controllable (lower recoil), rounds weight about 1/2, and the weapons involved are usually lighter. All of those factors are either not simulated at all, or in the case of recoil poorly simulated. Add that to the fact IRL average engagement range is more like 100m, while in Arma it's more like 400m or more, and that 5.56 is great up to 100m, good up to 300m, and in practice not too good at 300-600m (to say the least), while 7.62 is good to 800m and possibly more, and you get Arma soldiers favoring 7.62 weapons much more than a RL soldier would.

There's a reason 5.56 is standard issue in most western armies IRL with 7.62 only being used for very specific platforms (sniper rifles, static MGs, platoon-level MG...), while in-game there's really no reason to take a 5.56 weapon over a 7.62 weapon.

Only time you might want 5.56 over 7.62 in Arma is in order to go into CQB with an M249 (where again the lack of weight simulation and poor recoil model makes it an unrealistically great choice, while IRL the bulkiness and difficulty to control makes the M249 not a very optimal weapon for CQB. Read: less-optimal, not useless, but that is still very different from the game where it is quite optimal).

My dad actually used an FN-FAL sometime back when he served. Let's just say he didn't praise the weapon nearly as much as Arma players praise it. The weapon is old, bulky, and not comfortable to use (by his description), and none of those disadvantages are felt in-game at all, making it one of the better weapon choices out there.

Edited by galzohar

I agree. Personally I nearly always take an M249 over something like an M27 (mission specific though). If those things you mentioned were precisely modelled, I'd take the M27 a lot more, mainly for CQB and missions where mobility is paramount. At the moment there's almost no strong penalty for taking the M249.

Weaponry is a personal preference thing. I've read accounts of South Africans and Rhodesians praising the FN rifle, and the same with Brits praising the 7.62mm SLR. One SA guy said that people use the R4 5.56mm (Galil) assault rifle, but never feel the emotional attachment to it that they did their R1 7.62mm FNs.

Same goes for Americans in Vietnam not wanting M16s etc.

Americans didn't want the M16 in Vietnam because they had a ton of technical issues and soldiers weren't trained properly to use them. The introduction of the A1 and issued cleaning kits slowly fixed most of these issues.

My favorite loadout:

M249 ACOG

M9

4x 200 round M249 tracer

5x 15 round 9mm

2x M67 frag grenade

2x white smoke

I don't get to carry it in our official events but I carry it as often as I can on our recruiting server. I've always referred to the ArmA2 M249 ACOG as a fully automatic DMR. With tracers rounds it's so easy to walk your rounds on target. As long as you can rest the weapon on something you can dominate out to 800 meters.

Edited by django333