Sign in to follow this  
arma2disapointed

More units mod?

Is there any mod for OFP where the models have less polygones and less animations than BIS units?

So you can simply have more units on map with less lag, and allow greater viewdistance.

Hope is out on arma on that one.

Should be simple i think.

Also if the viewdistance is about 20000 meters would be great.

Not that I know of no. WW4 mod is prity low on requirements and turning ground to low maby disabling shadows and turn op the FPS setting will get you smooth running with 2000m view distance(20000 is not posible in OFP). Are you intending to play it as a strategy game like World in conflict?

What about "setviewdistance" 25000 meters?

Im aware of the game settings, but they are not enough to have 600 units run smoothly on full viewdistance.

Think some models could have less polygones and take away some animations would get higher fps.

Like to open up the strategical part of the game.

Realistic artillery and antiair defence simulations.

Sahara map or siberia steppe, it should be smooth.

---------- Post added at 11:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 AM ----------

Cant remember if it was addonmaker gnat that made very large low polygone ships.

---------- Post added at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 AM ----------

And in the distance it just have to be 8 polygones.

Edited by arma2disapointed

max view distance is 5000 in OFP.

As long as you use addons with LODs then it should have much the same effect fare a way only small amount of polys. A simpler animation system I think is very complicated to do might be posible but I don't think it would have a masive impact on performance but it would have a masive impact on game play if you were to play first person.

STGN

I've tested it some months ago.

Very low poly (80 points / 100 faces) infantry/cavalry/artillery units in a Napoleonic style, with 2d weapons and 128*128 textures (one texture only by unit) etc. It was lagging when approx 300 units are fighting together.

Example :

ofptest1.jpg

I've tested a wargame style units, based on the tank simulation (1 unit = 1 batallion, with 2d figures, see below), no animations at all apart from units falling down when "batallion-tank" is hit (simple rotation anim) and some smoke.sqf when "batallion-tank" is firing. You can then figure a wole Army corps and have some wargame fights. It was fun, but then you'd better get another game, like Total War.

Example :

ofptest2.jpg

Yes the main problem in OFP is that mostly everything use CPU ressources, AI, collisions, etc... and it seems the engine does render even things you are not supposed to see so CPU cycles that could have been saved are eaten away even by things out of your field of view :

Put tons of units (and i mean a very lot) behind a big hill, put yourself behind that hill so you can't see anything that is behind that, no object, none of those tons of units etc...

Look additionally in the opposite direction of where those units are, notice how acceptable the framerate is, then rotate on yourself and look at the hill, in the direction of those tons of units and notice how your framerate is beginning to crawl, despite all you are seeing is a hill.

This engine thing seems to always exist in ArmA2 too from some reports

So even when optimising highly the polycount, there will be always some engine limitations that will prevent completely smooth gameplay with thousand of units, very high terrain and very large view distance.

Yes i have tried it, when turned away the FPS is high, when looking at lot of units the FPS drops.

Kind of engine limitations as always, but the napoleanic are very acceptable, even the textures could be 64x64, insted of 128x128.

And not only the unit count are important, it´s also to be able to have a huge map.

300 units fighting is acceptable enough.

And dont forget that the CPU´s using now are not mutch faster than before.

Just have to do the best of it.

Maybe just have one texture with BIS units so you dont have to do new models.

And fix the lod that make 4 polygone boxes in the distance to be a little closer?

Like BIS tank model that only have like maybe 6 polygones on the track and wheels together on low settings closeup.

300 fighting units are very acceptable.

Edited by arma2disapointed

I've tested it some months ago.

Very low poly (80 points / 100 faces) infantry/cavalry/artillery units in a Napoleonic style, with 2d weapons and 128*128 textures (one texture only by unit) etc. It was lagging when approx 300 units are fighting together.

Example :

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/5066/ofptest1.jpg

I've tested a wargame style units, based on the tank simulation (1 unit = 1 batallion, with 2d figures, see below), no animations at all apart from units falling down when "batallion-tank" is hit (simple rotation anim) and some smoke.sqf when "batallion-tank" is firing. You can then figure a wole Army corps and have some wargame fights. It was fun, but then you'd better get another game, like Total War.

Example :

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/245/ofptest2.jpg

Mount and blade "is" total war, but it dont lag less than OFP.

Look here and see what i mean.

Edited by Rellikki