Sign in to follow this  
doakwolf

Transfer save game files from Vista to XP?

Hi all,

I've been reading about performance increases when using XP rather than Vista.. So I re-installed ArmA2 on XP SP3 and tried moving my save game folder/files from Vista (my user folder) to XP (my documents) and when I load missions I get an error saying the save game can't be loaded. They all show up in my list of save games when I load ArmA but they just won't load the levels. Sorry, can't give exact error message right now because I'm at work.

Has anyone successfully transferred save games between different OS? If so, I'll keep trying but I just don't want to waste time if this isn't possible.

Cheers!

Jero.

Try this...

Transfer the files, start the game and see if you can pull them up in the editor. Then save them in the editor, get out of the editor then try and play them. I had one mission that wouldn't transfer but after doing that I could play it. It could also be your security settings in XP/Vista. Move the saved games to a non-secure place (c:\temp\arma\) instead of in your documents folder, because if you do a copy it takes the security and moves the rights with the file. But moving them to a temp directory off the root of C: takes the security off, THEN move them into your document directory within XP partition.

Edited by Squigibo

Ok do the following:

1. Set your profile up in arma2 in xp and then exit.

2. Under vista copy the entire contents (folders and all) from this location:

C:\Users\(*USER NAME*)\Documents\ArmA 2 Other Profiles\(*PROFILE NAME*)\

Don't copy profile name folder just everything within that folder.

3. Paste those folders/files to the location in XP into the profile name folder you have set in XP install:

C:\Documents and Settings\(*USER NAME*)\My Documents\ArmA 2 Other Profiles\(*PROFILE NAME*)\

Load up your xp install and the profile will have all the same settings/saves/config as per you vista install.

It all works fine, I have dual boot XP/Vista and did it to test both O/S's.

Also any errors would be if you have not set any mods up you had in Vista install, if you used mods and they are not set in XP then that would cause error messages, also make sure you have patched the game correctly for both installs so they are the same version, cant think of much else though.

Edited by mrcash2009

Thanks to you both - worked a treat!

I think the file permissions were the problem :-)

Jero.