Sign in to follow this  
Michael_Wittman

GPU Random Shutdown

Well, titles says it.... when I´m playing after a whyle (15-20 min) my GPU stops sending signal to the screen... the computer itself is still running the game as I can hear by the headphones but the GPU goes completely down... I cannot exit the aplication whatsoever. I´m thinking its something about overheating but the curious thing is that I can reset the computer and it runs agains perfectly and that very moment (not giving it time to chill).

My GPU is Geforce 9800 GX2 with the latest drivers.

GFX cards take no time at all to cool down. Even if your card is over heating it will be back to idle temperatures within a minute or so of closing a 3d application.

You should probably take your card out of the PC and check for dust build up. It can be quite difficult to tell on these design of cards (totally enclosed case http://aledb12.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/placa.jpg) if there is dust blocking it, so you might need a bright torch to see if you can see light shining through.

If your used to taking things apart or build your PC, take the card apart and have a look. If you go weak kneed at the prospect of disassembly then get your self a can of compressed air.

here what a GX2 looks like when open http://img.tomshardware.com/us/2008/04/04/first_look_at_asetek_s_9800gx2_waterblock_water_cooling_for_the_masses/asetek_9800gx2_open.jpg

You could also get Hardware monitor or Speed Fan and check the temps with that. You say the screen goes blank, but can you Alt/Tab or Ctrl/Alt/Del to switch back to windows? If so, these tools will save you opening anything.

Edited by -=seany=-

When disassembling your card mind that you will void your warranty in some cases (depends on your countries law). Take this into consideration.

The stupid thing is that these card designs are really bad for collecting dust and will stop working in just over a year in a moderately dusty environment with no dust filters on your case input fans.

They have to be taken apart to be cleaned properly. Not opening it and using compressed air will only clean by 50%. I have never tried, but I doubt a GFX card company would take a card back a clean it for you then send it back, with an RMA or something. Maybe they would if you just gave them the symptoms and didn't tell them the cause. Also it would be a pain in the ass to be without a GFX card for up to month for such a simple problem.

If your careful enough there is no reason for them to know you have dissembled it. There are no special stickers or screws etc on them to show if they have been tampered with afaik.

You are right though -s!Gm4-, it's always best to be aware of all potential issue before disassembly.

There are no special stickers or screws etc on them to show if they have been tampered with afaik.

You are right though -s!Gm4-, it's always best to be aware of all potential issue before disassembly.

Sorry to disappoint you, but at least Zotac does attach this nifty little sticker on one of the screws which are needed to loosen in order to open the coolers case.

Yea, you know, one can not be cautious enough around a forum. People are said to exist which blame _you_ after _they_ made something brake/broke something when they tried to follow your advice... ;)

Btw, Op, I kind of have the same problem here. But today it lessened a bit.

Could you write down which tweaks you already applied to let Arma 2 run better as well as your system-specs?

Well, titles says it.... when I´m playing after a whyle (15-20 min) my GPU stops sending signal to the screen... the computer itself is still running the game as I can hear by the headphones but the GPU goes completely down... I cannot exit the aplication whatsoever. I´m thinking its something about overheating but the curious thing is that I can reset the computer and it runs agains perfectly and that very moment (not giving it time to chill).

My GPU is Geforce 9800 GX2 with the latest drivers.

I get this if I run with video memory set to default. It's a known bug at the moment, usually preceeded by flashing polygons. Until the source is fixed by BIS (/nVidia) the best I can suggest is turn down your video memory in the options. Very high for me works fine.

P

Definey it looks like a overhaeting problem... It also happens with ARMA 1..

I have open the case and check..the GPU fans work until the bank screen..then they stop blowing. I´m trying to figure out how to improve the cooling without great expenses etc..

As far as I´ve seen the air comes from the outer side of the case by the DVI connector side and then its expelled inside the case by the upper and side of the card.

Other thing I give no credit is that I´ve forced alternate frame rendering 2 for ARMA 2 in the driver and I experience the HDRI flash again as in ARMA 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really dont understand how can they make a game asking for ultra powerfull GPU and not testing the game for them properly! It´s like building a ferrari and delivering it 1000km away from any paved road.

I´m trying to figure out how to improve the cooling without great expenses etc.

Are you cooling your PC's guts with air or a water-based system?

If you're cooling by air, I can recommend some cooling solutions from Lian Li (e.g. BS-08) if you got some spare PCI-Slots.

I'm waiting for mine, already bought two Noctua NF-P12 to replace the Lian Li-specific fans.

This should give the gfx card some fresh air.

As far as I´ve seen the air comes from the outer side of the case by the DVI connector side and then its expelled inside the case by the upper and side of the card.

Now, I cant read really much from that. Ofc cool air comes from outside the computer-case. But that fresh air (for the fans/coolers) comes from outside the chassis is only true for case-fans, not for those on the gfx-card or the CPU. They ose air from inside the chassis (and this is why many case-fans are needed ;] ). Where exaclty your DVI-connector is located (aside from the fact that the rear of a gfx-card has a dvi connector) I dont know.

But is is no secret that gfx-cards either use air from inside the computer-case to cool the GPU by directing the stream of air right on top of the processor (and thus releasing the warm air into the comp-case once again; found on older gfx-cards)

Link to Pic

or they are transporting air from inside the chassis to the outside, letting the airstream cool the GPU and the memory on its way out.

Link to pic

(even though the cards presented in the pics may not beup to date, I dont think there are other cooling methods for air around, are there?)

//Edit:

I just saw that you told here what your gfx card is. Yea, it should work like the card in pic 2, unless they didn't turn that whole cooling principle (cards blow air out, not into case) upside down with those cards...

Edited by -s!Gm4-

Well...

Happy to say I found the solution by a multi-purpose device. Until the weather chills I´ll leave the chasis open and set the device at full speed beside the chasis. It´s rough, its noisy but it works...played arma for an hour without issues and awesome fps.

The device.

Well...

Happy to say I found the solution by a multi-purpose device. Until the weather chills I´ll leave the chasis open and set the device at full speed beside the chasis. It´s rough, its noisy but it works...played arma for an hour without issues and awesome fps.

The device.

very nice! just make sure you check for dust buildup regularly since the air isn't being filtered

But if you have the money, I'd suggest getting one or all of the following: a new case fan, an aftermarket heatsink for your CPU/GPU (depending on which is overheating); or a new case that has better airflow! To many bad things can happen with an open case. I had a cat who decided to play with one of the fans and broke it (he kept using his paw to stop it lol); also had a ton of hair and dust buildup after just a couple weeks

Edited by No Use For A Name

very nice! just make sure you check for dust buildup regularly since the air isn't being filtered

But if you have the money, I'd suggest getting one or all of the following: a new case fan, an aftermarket heatsink for your CPU/GPU (depending on which is overheating); or a new case that has better airflow! To many bad things can happen with an open case. I had a cat who decided to play with one of the fans and broke it (he kept using his paw to stop it lol); also had a ton of hair and dust buildup after just a couple weeks

yeah, a decent case with dust filters on every input it a must if you live in a dust prone area.