Sign in to follow this  
sakura_chan

Non-blinding sun mod

you can make things a bit better by turning down the gamma, but of course areas become too dark then. They need a HDR option because as it is now is terrible. Your screen can completely change colour just by moving you mouse a few pixels in a direction. Obviously this never happens in real life. People defending the default lighting because this is a "realistic" game need to go and take a look outside lol.

Hopefully this mod will stop me having to mess with my gamma and brightness.

Out of curiosity, what makes this different from the GDT HDR mod?

Also, is more of a "middle ground" possible? As in, ArmA 2's default is 100%, yours looks to be around 10% (just throwing a figure out there). Is there any way to get more of a glare but not nearly as much as the default--something like 50% the norm?

Out of curiosity, what makes this different from the GDT HDR mod?

Also, is more of a "middle ground" possible? As in, ArmA 2's default is 100%, yours looks to be around 10% (just throwing a figure out there). Is there any way to get more of a glare but not nearly as much as the default--something like 50% the norm?

I agree

any chance you could put a .bikey with this so it can be used on signed servers ?

how does this affect stars ?

Unfortunately I couldn't find a way to change the star texture, I believe that it isn't actually a texture but a hardcoded effect like the bulletholes.

any chance you could put a .bikey with this so it can be used on signed servers ?

I thought I signed it?! maybe I didn't do it right? It has a sakusun.pbo.saku.bisign file, do I need something else?

edit***

duh here it is:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=a54b8a5cbcab5132e7c82ed4b8f0c380e04e75f6e8ebb871

Edited by Sakura_Chan

You need to publish your public key for server admins. :)

key = server

bisign = client

Hi Sakura!

Great mod! - I've been looking for your Arma 1 version, but all the links on the original thread are dead... is it still available???

*edit*

Oops.... just tried this version in Arma1 and it works fine!!

Doublethanks!!

*edit*

B

Edited by Bushlurker
personal stupidity

Great mod! Makes the lighting so much better. No more nuclear explosions in the sky.

I'm loving the screenshots. I can't wait to try it out when I get home. :)

Abs

This is what I dont understand, all these kick ass mods and we cant use them when we are on multiplayer servers...so really whats the point? Unless there is some way to do that? I have down loaded some that are awesome but when I go to play multiplayer I end up having to remove them from the addon's folder. :confused:

AI isn't affected by lighting. Most multiplayer servers don't allow mods so it is a non issue.

This is what I dont understand, all these kick ass mods and we cant use them when we are on multiplayer servers...so really whats the point? Unless there is some way to do that? I have down loaded some that are awesome but when I go to play multiplayer I end up having to remove them from the addon's folder. :confused:

It's either that, or potential cheating.

Abs

Great mod Sakura, thanks. The default sun exposure of ARMA 2 is not realistic, we all think it is because we see it on movies and pictures, but it's just an effect caused by the lens of a camera, not by human eye.

I think this mod makes the game more realistic, if you really think about the way things are viewed in the game world for every one we aren't actually veiwing them through our characters eyes, we're viewing them from a camera.

Motion blur, shaking while moving, intense HDR, rotors being perfectly visible as a defined 3D shape and not blurs as well as other things are not what you will see in the real world.

In real life the sun also doesn't take up the screen and being blinded by the sun does not make the sky appear a bright color, it just hurts our eyes then things look alittle discolored and we see circles for awhile.

Also on another note Sakura will you also be re-creating your damage textures by chance? They made everything destroyed look so much better.

http://www.armaholic.com/datas/users/4-dam4.jpg for those that haven't seen it.

will you also be re-creating your damage textures by chance? They made everything destroyed look so much better.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the default damage textures. My damage texture addon made it really hard to tell from a distance if a unit was destroyed anyways.

Ah that's a shame, twas one of the things I liked about it, being more realistic in most cases.

A lot of people in this thread seem to not think about what they're saying at all. The problem in arma is that, short of having an irtracker, you must put your crosshairs on the horizon a lot of the time in the game. What this does is put the MASSIVE glare in arma almost in the center of the screen, when in real life you would be wearing sunglasses, or a hat, or diverting your eyes, etc. You guys are comparing the ridiculous glare in ArmA to staring directly at the sun. How many of you stare directly at the sun when walking around? What about driving?

Thank you for this mod Sakura.

I would suggest removing the lens flare, as that is a camera effect not an eyeball effect. I havent tested it yet though to compare it to IRL so I won't comment on that portion and Idon't even know if you are striving for realism.

I think this game isnt trying to simulate how the sun actualy glares, its trying to simulate "a way" to blind you looking directly at it.

Simply simulating blinded by the bright sun, not trying to suggest its glare is actually that large in real life. The perspective is from you in a game and being blinded / finding it hard to look at it directly and the way BIS have done it pretty much does the job its required.

QFT. There's obviously no way your monitor could be used to blind you realistically so what? Just don't bother representing sun-strike at all?

The problem in arma is that, short of having an irtracker, you must put your crosshairs on the horizon a lot of the time in the game.

LOL crosshairs. So now with perfect vision in any direction, including directly toward the sun, you won't need to wear out your spacebar scanning for enemies! Play your video-game, I'll be enjoying a simulation.

Wow gotta love the player diversity in the Arma series. So many ideas and opinions. Its nice to work on a game that people actually give a damn about.

Thanks for this.

If you could, remake the addon zip with the server keyfile inside so that the mirroring sites like armaholic can grab the latest zip with the addon, client key and server key. Currently, they are mirroring the addon only.

Edited by oktane

We probably won't allow this one, since it removes an important element of gameplay - getting blinded by the sun. The picture used as an attempt to describe the blindingness as wrong, is exposed for the sky and not the ground (ground is all black). Other than that, there is nothing wrong with comparing photography with real life, except that our eyes can see things at a broader dynamic brightness.

If you find sunglare a problem, don't make sunshades, attack from a better position. Get sunshades scratched up, and you won't appreciate the additional glaring... It would make for a pretty good 'cheat', and because of it we most likely won't install the keys. Fun for screen shotting and singleplayer testing though.

Does this work for 1.03 too?

I can't notice anything different from original and in ArmA2 version 1.03

I use it in 1.03 and it works. Are you using any other addons that might interfere?