Sign in to follow this  
harveysimpson

Very important issues

Hi All,

I've been having an OK time with this game so far...

Fair enough I do get a smooth as silk 50 FPS most of the time and ultra High settings with 5k vis etc etc.

I find the enemy Ai is spectaculary realistic and fantastic fun to fight against.

However....

Believe me, things are far from perfect in this game.

The major problems started when after a very engaging, tactical firefight where I must say it was a joy to behold the enemy AI flanking my team in all there hi-res glory...anyway I digress...

The problem was, as my teammates (AI) and I were speeding along this open country road all of a sudden there were some cows blocking the road!

I pressed my horn down many times but the damm cows wouldn't move.

So, after this shock I decided to spend my weekend conducting tests to measure cow response time, because when they refused to budge it totaly ruined the realism factor of my experience.

On my first test I was 100 meters away from the cows - horn pressed once - no reaction. (It was windy so sound could travel non?)

On my second test I was 50 meters away from the cows - horn pressed once - no reaction.

On my first third test I was 10 meters away from the cows - horn pressed once - no reaction.

(I'll post a graph as soon as I get a chance!)

Dreadful realism I hear you cry!

In conclusion, the only way to budge cows from the road is to mow them down.

Thanks Bohemia - your shoddy programming and lack of attention to detail ruined my enjoyment of this game.

I can only hope and pray they fix this glaring bug in the new patch as a priority!

On my first third test I was 10 meters away from the cows - horn pressed once - no reaction.

(I'll post a graph as soon as I get a chance!)

Dreadful realism I hear you cry!

Yes, thats what i call very important issues :j: , maybe deaf cows ? :yay:

I'm tempted to say "you've obviously never worked on a farm" but I get the comedic point of the post, just a pity that it'll be either locked or deleted.

Fully ACK - had same problem with a bunch of rabbits running after a load of hens.

How I overcame it:

Shoot the alpha hen and it all calms down.

Should work with cows too.

Possible reason:

BI forgot to implement the "taking over command" to animals :butbut:

Haha.If that was the main problem then this game would be excellent.

They're "BIS cows", you have to ask them nicely, repeatedly... them wait for a considerable time...

They WILL move eventually though, they always do...

;)

I hope this post is somehow related to all the mulish people who are starting new threads after new threads everyday which have the same topics. Otherwise I am shocked! :eek:

They're "BIS cows", you have to ask them nicely, repeatedly... them wait for a considerable time...

They WILL move eventually though, they always do...

;)

Nice post.

This post was a spoof of so many posts I have read on here...

People posting who have bee playing games on pc's for like 2 years - and really dont know how good they have got it...

People want a game like this to contain sophisticated AI - the like of which will eat up your CPU for breakfast.

When BI make a game with great AI that will eat your CPU for breakfast they moan that the game isn't configured well enough.

Jesus wept!

Why dont they just go play space invaiders - I'm sure there I7's will get about 1000FPS on that.

It was not meant to be sarcastic re the game itself; That, I am most impressed with.

Edited by harveysimpson

This post was a spoof of so many posts I have read on here...

People posting who have bee playing games on pc's for like 2 years - and really dont know how good they have got it...

People want a game like this to contain sophisticated AI - the like of which will eat up your CPU for breakfast.

When BI make a game with great AI that will eat your CPU for breakfast they moan that the game isn't configured well enough.

Jesus wept!

Why dont they just go play space invaiders - I'm sure there I7's will get about 1000FPS on that.

It was not meant to be sarcastic re the game itself; That, I am most impressed with.

QFT buddy.

They are fixated on getting 100 FPS because that's what they have been led to believe is important.

Then you get the novice who has shelled out $4K for some insane system (i7 @ 4.0Ghz, 2 x 295 and 12 GB of RAM) that he has no clue how to troubleshoot if it goes wrong. All a novice has to do is put that in a room that is too hot and the fun begins.

Some people's ignorance is staggering. You try to help them but they know best because they read an article on CNET or whatever. EVERYONE is an expert these days. Sometimes I wish PC gaming was confined to the niche, segregated community it used to be.

The games were generally better (present company accepted) and so were the people who played them ;)

Eth

Edited by BangTail

yeah back in the good old days.. frak it dude, why dont you dust off your 486, wrangle the autoexec and go play falcon3.0 ?

yeah back in the good old days.. frak it dude, why dont you dust off your 486, wrangle the autoexec and go play falcon3.0 ?

Good idea :p

Hey, those were great games too! :)

I don't even want to know how many hours of my life I lost to Falcon 3.0.

Eth

QFT buddy.

...Sometimes I wish PC gaming was confined to the niche, segregated community it used to be....

Eth

I could write a whole topic on this subject alone...

You are spot on when you suggest that the brats who have recently found pc gaming are there own worst enemies. The 386'ers and 486'ers among us were definitely more discerning and thus the games produced were a million times better in their ambition alone - Falcon 3 being a wonderful example with its dynamic campaign system!

That said, and in total contradiction to everything I've said above, Falcon 3 only allowed you to fly the 'Hi-Fidelity' model of its plane if you were a lucky 486 DX owner...maybe things havent changed after all! Anybody remember that?

Edited by harveysimpson

999fps in Q3 ;)

To sort the cows you need to add -animal_ears_enable=true to your startup icon.

I could write a whole topic on this subject alone...

You are spot on when you suggest that the brats who have recently found pc gaming are there own worst enemies. The 386'ers and 486'ers among us were definitely more discerning and thus the games produced were a million times better in their ambition alone - Falcon 3 being a wonderful example with its dynamic campaign system!

That said, and in total contradiction to everything I've said above, Falcon 3 only allowed you to fly the 'Hi-Fidelity' model of its plane if you were a lucky 486 DX owner...maybe things havent changed after all! Anybody remember that?

I hate saying it because it sounds elitest but the "instant grat, e-p33n waving" idiots that permeate PC gaming these days have single handedly destroyed many genres by demanding they be as simple as possible to appeal to their LCD mindset.

Look at MMOs, they used to be complex and elaborate. Now, you might as well just a have a big green button on the UI that says "Give me Everything - I'm so l33t OMGZ0R1111!!!!!!!111!"

People think that buying a high end PC is just like buying a 360 and don't realise that getting PCs running optimally and ironing out the kinks is PART of the experience. If you aren't patient, then PC gaming is NOT for you, and it doesn't matter how much cash you throw at it. In general the more expensive the machine, the more problems you are going to have if you don't know what you are doing.

And Falcon 3, Boy do I remember that game. between that and the orginal Gunship and GS 2000. I spent countless hours on those games and few sims since have been as good in terms of detail. Saying that LOMAC and Black Shark are excellent games but ED seems to be the only developer willing to take the risk in developing for a niche market. Much the same way as BIS does with their licenses.

The difference is that because BS/LOMAC only simulate flight, most of the dullards won't even attempt them. 57 keystrokes to start the Black Shark's engines and systems eliminates the bunny hoppers in short order. Unfortunately, because you can run around shooting a gun on the ground in the OFP/ArmA games, you inevitably get the people who need 200FPS otherwise it is "unplayable" and who routinely spit their proverbial dummy whenever things don't go exactly the way they want them to.

As for the 486 DX/HiFi Flight model, there are plenty of people who have A2 running well on very average machines. A lot of the alledged "problems" seem to be occuring on the 4.2 Ghz i7's with dual GTX 295's.

I digress.

Eth

Edited by BangTail

I think it is okay when new people discover the "pc gaming niche". But they should in some way accept and understand that pc games should be in general directed towards a more mature audience who in general looks for more complex games then those games that can be found on consoles and played within 5 minutes. And because of the very complexity of simulators (dynamic AI and battlefields, complex emulations, modelling etc.) they should consider some "faults" which will be fixed as soon as possible or when the willing group of developers take note of them. And as everybody should have noticed by the many forum posts and stickies, the developers seem to be willing to improve and enhance the quality of the game. There is no reason to cast a slur on the developers just because the game will not run on the first try. As a pc system has so many possible configurations, it is hard to see or to tell, where the real problem can be found. So tweaking is always a part of pc gaming, today maybe even more then in the last decades (when there were games like Falcon, Longbow, F15 etc.) since the modern games become more and more complex (or the other way around on the mainstream market).

So, I have nothing against newcomers, but they should not blame others (maybe for their own mistakes) first. Instead they should try to solve the problems independently and learn from it. There is always a solution until some progress news arrives.

Edited by Jimmy the Saint

Please lock this thread.

10 posts and he thinks he's running the forum now?

Eth

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 PM ----------

I think it is okay when new people discover the "pc gaming niche". But they should in some way accept and understand that pc games should be in general directed towards a more mature audience who in general looks for more complex games then those games that can be found on consoles and played within 5 minutes. And because of the very complexity of simulators (dynamic AI and battlefields, complex emulations, modelling etc.) they should consider some "faults" which will be fixed as soon as possible or when the willing group of developers take note of them. And as everybody should have noticed by the many forum posts and stickies, the developers seem to be willing to improve and enhance the quality of the game. There is no reason to cast a slur on the developers just because the game will not run on the first try. As a pc system has so many possible configurations, it is hard to see or to tell, where the real problem can be found. So tweaking is always a part of pc gaming, today maybe even more then in the last decades (when there were games like Falcon, Longbow, F15 etc.) since the modern games become more and more complex.

So, I have nothing against newcomers, but they should not blame others (maybe for their own mistakes) first. Instead they should try to solve the problems independently and learn from it. There is always a solution until some progress news arrives.

Open minded newcomers are always welcome.

Eth

Edited by BangTail

Well, I would have asked for this thread to be moved from "Troubleshooting" to "Pointless" but seeing as there isn't a "Pointless" forum there would be no point - like this thread.

I've been posting in these forums longer than you, but had to re-register - but then again, how long you've been posting and how many posts you've made is pointless as well isn't it?

P.S. where can I apply to be a moderator?

;)

Well, I would have asked for this thread to be moved from "Troubleshooting" to "Pointless" but seeing as there isn't a "Pointless" forum there would be no point - like this thread.

I've been posting in these forums longer than you, but had to re-register - but then again, how long you've been posting and how many posts you've made is pointless as well isn't it?

P.S. where can I apply to be a moderator?

;)

I've been here since OFP went live, just not under this name. Not that it matters.

If you don't like something, don't read it. Problem solved.

Eth

PS : Can't wait for the new season of CYE btw :)

This might be pedantic in the style of LD, but how do you know you dont like it till you've read it?