Sign in to follow this  
vanchatron

dfgfdgfd

If you had spent like 5 minutes reading on these forums or downloaded the demo you would have realized that this game is a military simulator striving for realism and NOT another stupid FPS shooter!

Why so much realism.... because we are a lot of people wanting just that ;)

And if you feel some posts sounding a little harsh it's probably because some of us hate when people compare ArmA with BF2, COD etc. etc.

Edited by JW Custom
typo....again

First off, you should have downloaded the Demo first. If you had done that, you wouldn't have had to write this huge explanation of why it's not for you. It never was supposed to be a BF2/Quake/Delta Force.

If you didn't download the demo first, that was your first mistake.

Sit down, find a co-op clan, play some missions, Then decide whether or not to return the game.

Sit down, find a co-op clan, play some missions, Then decide whether or not to return the game.

Dude, i think we already lost him here:

I like fast paced action FPS's and games where it doesn't particularly matter all that much if you get killed because you'll just respawn in the next 10-20 seconds anyway. What I really expected (and was hoping) when buying this game was that it'd basically be a game like Battlefield 2 but with better graphics.

He should have done some homework before buying this milsim!

- Being unable to run & shoot at the same time prevented this 'fast paced' type of action I'm so used to when playing other FPS's. It's not like you can't run & shoot at the same time in real life. This feature should have been implemented but your accuracy could have suffered, which is exactly what would happen in the real world, and is exactly what happens in other games.

Yeah, this isn't the game for you.

That's cool. I enjoy a good actioner as much as the next guy when the mood takes me.

This isn't meant to be that and that's why I bought this game in particular though

Look at what they actually do in other games when they let you run and shoot btw.

Generally weapon accuracy in other FPS games is done CoF style. There's a crosshair which is tethered to the centre of your monitor. When you fire bullets land randomly within a N degree cone around this point. Generally they're hitscan which means damage is applied instantly to that point.

When you move or do anything like that the crosshair expands and the cone expands too. The animation probably shows your gun bobbing but the cone is still locked to the centre of your screen. You don't even run in those games. You just glide along more quickly. The bullets probably don't even come out of the muzzle of your gun but rather the centre of the camera. That's OK I guess. It's how FPS games have done it since quake.

So you're not "running and shooting", you're "gliding more quickly while your hitscan bullets land within a widened yet still perfectly aligned cone centred on your camera". I could write you an essay on the foibles of hitscan and why it's bad and how it actually does the opposite of what it's meant to at times because it's predictably random but meh.

By contrast Bohemia games, OFP onwards, actually have a ballistics system which tracks each bullet. The bullets come out of the barrel of the gun. I dunno if you've seen the run animation but your dude is really moving and so is the barrel of his gun.

I think OFP actually let you shoot while running but it was basically pretty dangerous. Because the gun barrel is bouncing all over you can't really see where you're shooting and it was quite possibly to shoot a friendly or yourself in the foot.

Get a laser pointer or flashlight and try running while pointing it at something and watch what the beam/dot does. I doubt you'd really want that feature for anything quicker than a quick walk / slow jog.

Edited by spm1138

Hi I was a bit like you when i first started playing arma,but over time it started to dawn on me that this is the best game Ive ever played took a while for it to happen.

I guess what sold it to me were firstly you need brains as well as brawn and the outcome of battles is not just down to who can click a mouse button quickest,tactics and trying to play as if you were in that situation for real makes a big difference in survival.

Also when i played muliplayer for the first few times i thought it sucked,but as i carried on i found a goodish server and learned what to do and suddenly I'm loving every second.

As well as this there are loads of people making missions add ons etc which add a dimension to the game second to none and if your ever stuck the guys here always help out,with anything you cant understand.

Also you have the editor hours of fun messing about with it.

You get a lot of game with arma its grown on me big time,cant imagine going back to click click bang bang games now.

If you don't want realism then DONT BUY A SIMULATION. Pretty simple.

If you had spent like 5 minutes reading on these forums or downloaded the demo you would have realized that this game is a military simulator striving for realism and NOT another stupid FPS shooter!

Why so much realism.... because we are a lot of people wanting just that ;)

And if you feel some posts sounding a little harsh it's probably because some of us hate when people compare ArmA with BF2, COD etc. etc.

1) Why would FPS Games be stupid? It is simply a different genre

2.) there is no reason to reply to a polite post in a harsh way, nothing would ever justify that.

I certainly hope he doesn't have that option! Why should anyone lose out financially just because some numbnutz didn't read up on the game first.

Many people such as the OP are taking a too narrow view about what you get when you purchase ARMA2 (or ARMA1 for that matter). If you look at it as purchasing a game to replace BF/COD/GRAW/AA3 or whatever then you are selling yourself short as well as not really "getting" what this engine is for. With minimal work I can DL some addons and recreate any scenario I can imagine. Zombies vs a D-Day landing... a complete airborne assault on a fictional soviet satellite state, a LRRP recon mission in the Ia Drang, a humvee patrol through recreations of actual afghan or Iraqi villages, you can recreate any or all Marine Corps TDGs to see how well your leadership skills are... there are endless situations you can create at a moments notice as the inspiration hits you.

If you buy this only for the missions, campaign or MP aspect you are barely scratching the surface and then for some people to actually complain about the attempted realism and large scale is insulting. Go Fing play COD/GRAW/BF2 FFS you ninnies. I'm sick of people who buy this series and complain about the very things that set it apart from other games in this genre.

This isn't for everyone and I hope it stays that way.

Many people such as the OP are taking a too narrow view about what you get when you purchase ARMA2 (or ARMA1 for that matter). If you look at it as purchasing a game to replace BF/COD/GRAW/AA3 or whatever then you are selling yourself short as well as not really "getting" what this engine is for. With minimal work I can DL some addons and recreate any scenario I can imagine. Zombies vs a D-Day landing... a complete airborne assault on a fictional soviet satellite state, a LRRP recon mission in the Ia Drang, a humvee patrol through recreations of actual afghan or Iraqi villages, you can recreate any or all Marine Corps TDGs to see how well your leadership skills are... there are endless situations you can create at a moments notice as the inspiration hits you.

If you buy this only for the missions, campaign or MP aspect you are barely scratching the surface and then for some people to actually complain about the attempted realism and large scale is insulting. Go Fing play COD/GRAW/BF2 FFS you ninnies. I'm sick of people who buy this series and complain about the very things that set it apart from other games in this genre.

This isn't for everyone and I hope it stays that way.

Well said.

You should try "Frontlines: Fuel of War". I got this cheap on Steam and have actually enjoyed many hours of gameplay online.

I've never played BF but I heard its like that, but in the future. It's not a realistic fps but it is FUN!

Yapa

There are already too many fast-paced action FPS in this world. ARMAII is the other way around and that you dont find alot of in the gaming world.

So therefore its hats off and salute to the BIS team for atleast ONE team in the world is making it, despite bugs!

But yea, atleast a little reading up or trying the demo, or trying the games they made before(OFP, ARMA1) is essential and you would have known that this game isnt for you.

Personally I would like to have more realism, like I said there are already an abyss of fast-paced action FPS games one can play already but not much of real soldier simulators.

As for moving and shooting at the same time, just lean while you're running. It will slow you down, but not as slow as walking, and allow you to shoot. Not the best solution but it's a middle ground.

Oh and yes this is a slower paced game, but it's EXTREMELY fun for those of us who are looking for this type of game. I love it. I get most of my kills from 100-500 meters away. Very little CQB. Maybe(hopefully) someone will come up with some urban/cqb game types in the future.

Uh...the OP signed off on page 2, I don't think we need to try anymore to convince him to love this game, lol. :D

Uh...the OP signed off on page 2, I don't think we need to try anymore to convince him to love this game, lol. :D

I wish more people could actually come to the same conclusion as him by themselves though.

You made good job anyway, its good to support and buy Arma 2 even you would not play never it, mroe money to BIS studio so they can deliver much better product next time.

just felt like i had to say in general its a military simulator not a full action fps and i think thats the biggest mistake alot of ppl make that end up not liking the game.

U either like it or u dont.... i just think ppl should do a little more research or atleast try a demo before buying a game not liking it and give us a whole shitload of stories again why they dont like it, basicly explaining to us what we already know its not a all out combat fps.

anyway talkin to a wall the guy left at page 2 i think lol

I don't mind intelligent comments, OP, and yours made sense. Don't worry, this isn't a Halo forum where we trash anyone with a different opinion. It's just that this game is very obviously a dedicated war/strategic combat simulator, and the kind of FPS games you like...aren't. That's not a bad thing. It doesn't make you any less of a gamer-- I mean, at the end of the day, this IS still just a game-- but these aren't for everyone. In real combat, you don't run and shoot. Things like that just don't happen. It is a much slower paced game.

I say you stick with ARMA for a while. The fact that you have no knowledge of the game is partly the reason you haven't found much action. The realism factor for a lot of us is what gets our heart racing, the fact that you only have this one life intensifies things don't you think? It would help if you played the game with some experienced players, maybe in coop mode to see how intense and fun some of larger battles can be. There are a lot of veterans that play this game, myself included that love this type of game. Maybe you are right in saying that this is not the game for you, but I would give it a fair shake before I ditched it if I were you.

As far as another game that may fall more online with BF2 would not be OFP2. No one knows for sure what the game play will be like in this game. These comments a based on speculation and nothing more. I suggest you wait for MW2 or Bad Company 2, also BF3 is in the works as well.

And, fyi, I am joining the Army.

"..am joining" and "have served in" are two completely different things. When you've been at your permanent duty station or on deployment for a few months, you won't wonder why some of us want realism.

they add this kind of realism because there ARE people out there that want this kind of sim.

This game is the opposite of BF2 as far as gameplay. BF2 is more of a run and gun rambo fest, this is a tactical teamwork shooter. You may survive for a few minutes as a rambo in this, but not much longer than that. I pray you don't try any of the DCS series with that kind of attitude. You'd probably throw that disc out the window when you find out the manual for flying the thing is 383ish pages. ArmA is designed for realism, not run and gun. If you want run and gun, I hear Battlefield Bad Company 2 is coming to PC, I also hear Modern Warfare 2 is due out soon, try those. I strongly suggest though that you try arma 2 multiplayer a bit more with a more realism orientated community. When I got ArmA 1, I was put off a bit by the realism, then I joined at the time IC-ArmA, now called Charlie Foxtrot, and I grew to love ArmA. ArmA is a big change from BF2, but it's not something you can't do. If you want to try your hand at it, hit me up on xfire, my xfire is usmflyboy, and I'll gladly show you the ropes and help you out. I am more than willing to try to show you a bit about how to properly fight in ArmA, and there are many out there like me. The key is to have friends to help you learn the game, not doing it on your own. BIS has never really excelled at Single Player except in OFP and OFP:R. The multiplayer community is the saving grace along with the addon community. I'll gladly try to show you a bit about how to play with a team, and you may even grow to like a different style of play.

"..am joining" and "have served in" are two completely different things. When you've been at your permanent duty station or on deployment for a few months, you won't wonder why some of us want realism.

I'm a Civvie and I can explain that one, because sometimes the realism in game can save your ass IRL.

"The realism in game can save your ass IRL?"

Oh, how? Please explain.

This always interests me, the supposed parallels between Arma2 and real life. I don't see any. If I had, in real life to press 8, 1, 1 to get my team to return to formation, I think I would shoot myself, far less rely on the enemy to do it.

Can anyone fill me in on what commonality exists between army doctrine and Arma2?

It would be fun to know peoples age on this forum, i can only speak for myself and im closing (fast) 40.

I have been playing games since the 80s and all the new "blockbuster" games nowdays feels like "been there done that".

Upp until the late 90s it felt like games was progressing and evolving but then suddenly stopped, it was like a new generation gamers came and the gaming industry started over again only with prettier graphics.

I have always liked simulations and seen the progress they have made. There are still some developed thanks to BI and others but many has fallen for the temptation of bigger profits in the "mainstrem" sector. The sims today are very complex and come as a shock to a "mainstreem" gamer but to people like me they are simply an advancement of the genre.

What i dont understand is why some people are so singleminded that they want every new game to be exactly like the one before.

OP of this thread seems to be questioning why Arma2 isnt more like Bf2 or Cod4 when the only resemblence is that it contains soldiers and tanks. Same thing with people that are playing Nfs or Grid are complaining over the Gtr series or Rfactor for being "slow" or to hard. All games doesnt need to be for everybody.

The gamingindustry today are only interrested in sales and what sales is pretty graphics sadly (not that i dont like pretty graphics but you know what i mean).

Edited by Odjob

"The realism in game can save your ass IRL?"

Oh, how? Please explain.

This always interests me, the supposed parallels between Arma2 and real life. I don't see any. If I had, in real life to press 8, 1, 1 to get my team to return to formation, I think I would shoot myself, far less rely on the enemy to do it.

Can anyone fill me in on what commonality exists between army doctrine and Arma2?

Because used properly with proper scenarios, it can teach you signs to look out for in a battlefield, along with teaching you to not do stupid things. Why do you think militaries use products such as VBS 2 and Steel Beasts Pro/Pro PE. It's because they help reinforce how to properly move and work in a unit.

It would be fun to know peoples age on this forum, i can only speak for myself and im closing (fast) 40.

I have been playing games since the 80s and all the new "blockbuster" games nowdays feels like "been there done that".

Upp until the late 90s it felt like games was progressing and evolving but then suddenly stopped, it was like a new generation gamers came and the gaming industry started over again only with prettier graphics.

I have always liked simulations and seen the progress they have made. There are still some developed thanks to BI and others but many has fallen for the temptation of bigger profits in the "mainstrem" sector. The sims today are very complex and come as a shock to a "mainstreem" gamer but to people like me they are simply an advancement of the genre.

What i dont understand is why some people are so singleminded that they want every new game to be exactly like the one before.

OP of this thread seems to be questioning why Arma2 isnt more like Bf2 or Cod4 when the only resemblence is that it contains soldiers and tanks. Same thing with people that are playing Nfs or Grid are complaining over the Gtr series or Rfactor for being "slow" or to hard. All games doesnt need to be for everybody.

The gamingindustry today are only interrested in sales and what sales is pretty graphics sadly (not that i dont like pretty graphics but you know what i mean).

Exactly...

Oh and just to help your first question out, I'm 19...