Sign in to follow this  
Sneak69

View distance

I did a search and nothing helps

when I host my view distance sucks, I cannot find away to bring it up anywhere, I even went into my profile and the view distance there is the same as in my settings.

thanks for anyhelp

so where do I put it in? I made a description.ext and put it in there it doesn't work

It should be put in the init.sqf file in the mission.

Using the description.ext together with init.sqf can be done to give options for multiple view distance settings.

init.sqf ???

ok so I assume I make it the same way I made the description.ext

so what is the diffrence between init.sqf and description.ext?

all of this seems overwhelming

The init.sqf is a script that automatically is run for every unit on the map when they are first created. This is mostly used for server-side settings, but is also used to run the briefing.sqf that adds all the tasks and notes for a player, and it can run settings for the client like chosen view distance, time, or weather in a mission.

description.ext is a definitions-file where you can define the parameters for mission-specific settings. Both the two settings you can (if included in the mission) alter at the slot selection screen when starting a mission, names and looks for specific characters (usually used in campaigns or more story-driven missions), weapons and items for gear selection, and so on.

One special thing is that description.ext is loaded at unit slot selection for a mission, while init.sqf is ran at the briefing screen, and then can make use of parameters from the description.ext that were selected during unit slot selection.

I'm not the best to explain, and it is a bit complex, but not that badly. Quite simple once one takes a proper look at it :)

I made a init.sqf put in setviewdistance=3500

doesn't work :(

The command in the init.sqf is:

setViewDistance 3500;

not:

setviewdistance=3500

Just to clarfy *why* it is as Jman says it is because setViewDistance isn't a variable that you can give a value, but is a function that you can pass on a value to.

That's actually the reason it can't be in the description.ext, since that file can only take variables and values for them, while it can't call functions like setViewDistance.

still doesn't work...

setViewDistance 3500;

its the only command in the init.sqf file and it doesn't work

Where have you put the file? It is a mission-specific file, that has to be in the folder for the mission in particular.

I think that missions default to a quite low view distance unless configured otherwise.

I put it where I put the description.ext... and that file works fine because respawn works

PM me your mission .pbo and I will take a look at it for you.