Sign in to follow this  
lks

Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear 10th Birthday

Rogue Spear is 10 years old next month. I think the Rainbow 6 series (before awful Lockdown and Vegas of course) stands alongside Bohemia's games as being one of the most realistic games on the PC. I consider Rogue Spear and its expansion packs to be best in the series and I'm sure many OFP/ArmA fans also love this game. So here is a tribute to this Great PC Game:

FWSEvyKNOCE

I can only dream that someday Ubisoft stops giving the PC rubbish ports of run-and-gun console games and makes a worthy successor the series.

Nice vid, a lot of good memories :)

I still occasionally play Raven Shield switching with its 2 expansion packs, a shame that the license turned to some casual aaa shit ...

In the same genre, H&D2 plus its addon Sabre Squadron is pure orgasm from Czech Republic. I really hope they'll do a sequel, Mafia2 finished.

Edited by dunedain

Oh yeah H&D 2 is an amazing game. Stunning detail and missions. It's on my list to make a video of it in my Great PC Games series that I got planned. Mafia is on there too. And of course OFP is definitely getting one!

Rainbow Six: Steel Wind belgium embassy (first) mission is freaking legendary.

I loved to play that mission, it was the first experience on realistic tactical indoor game for me (before that it was SEAL Team and Army Rangers only). Oh the good old memories :)

Awesome game. I found the manual for Rogue Spear recently, but the CD is still missing. Also, a few years ago I sold Rainbow Six 3 on the Xbox (AKA Ravenshield on PC). Recently downloaded a demo of one of the recent games (think it was Lockdown) - bad times.

Tempted to buy Ravenshield and Rogue Spear for PC again as there are gold editions which include the expansion packs, none of which I ever tried, and each is only a few quid from amazon.

And I agree, H&D2 was also awesome.

EDIT: and the original Rainbow Six on the N64 - brilliant!

Great memories. First game i played online, and what a blast it was - Chalet Winter DM, pistol or rubber batons only, ... :D

10 years already, time is really flowing out of hand.

Can't believe it has been so much time when i bought this brillant tactical game, as i had already played both offline and online its formidable predecessor Rainbow Six a year before and enjoyed each minutes of both games of the serie.

The planning built meticulously and the rea time execution of it were great ideas and worked very well for me, i liked to test various ideas in there.

Fabulous games in which i hope one day, like for Ghost Recon too that even expanded to new directions in the same genre, there will be a real and as brillant successor.

Rainbow Six: Steel Wind belgium embassy (first) mission is freaking legendary.

That was the mission in the demo too, it was this mission that sold Rainbow Six to me. I couldn't count the hours i spent in this demo in trying every kind of tactics, fantastic mission.

Would be good for the people that never had the chance to play those superb games if ubi did the same as Bethesda for the franchise anniversary.

Edited by Sanctuary

Truly one of the best games ever made. It was a game that had a great balance between realism and immersion and ease of play. I would pay a lot of money to see a modern recreation...

Totally agree. The soundtrack is also awesome... Bill Brown is certainly a good composer. Looking back, I picked up Rainbow Six when I was never actually heard of it, but the green black clad guy holding a pistol seems kinda intrigue me to actually buy it. The storyline was good to, but rogue spear and raven shield storyline seems.. not so great I think. But gameplay is really great nonethelss. Original Rainbow Six also made me to actually buy the book. my first Tom Clancy book. then I bought without remorse then clear & present danger... very nice read. to bad Tom Clancy's name owned by ubisoft...

Nice vid, a lot of good memories :)

I still occasionally play Raven Shield switching with its 2 expansion packs, a shame that the license turned to some casual aaa shit ...

In the same genre, H&D2 plus its addon Sabre Squadron is pure orgasm from Czech Republic. I really hope they'll do a sequel, Mafia2 finished.

I hope they continue with their Enemy in Sight project.

enemy.jpg

_30_enemy-in-sight_1126100479_4312731555b60.jpg

But I guess it's vapourware.

The original R6 & then Eaglewatch expansion pack is what brought our gaming group together. We still host 3 Ravenshield servers. It is still a great game for both genders.

I gave up with it at Ravenshield. Before the expansion.

It had clearly lost it's core programming talent already by then and once H&D2 had come out there really wasn't any going back to just another Unreal mod, (albeit a good one).

R6, Rogue Spear and Ghost Recon. A great series. Classic.

Edited by Baff1

I wanted to play R6 as soon as I saw previews of it but my computer wasn't good enough :( So I played it on playstation about a year later. A few years later I bought some computer magazine which had a copy of Rogue Spear in it, I think it was the Urban Ops pack (I'm not sure if that was an expansion or what) but it only had a few levels.

I will NEVER stop playing or give away my copies of the old Rainbow Six series.

Rainbow Six is the game that together with Hidden and Dangerous 1 sold me to the tactical gaming genre.

I have spent so much time playing R6 you can't imagine, i've got every expansion, every single game up till Lockdown which was so absurdly bad and took a nosedive in quality.

I will not even mention Vegas, because thinking of that game and the route they have taken with it make me go in a rage.

You might say 'dude, it's just a game' but i say dude, it's the mother of all tactical gaming we are talking about here! This is it, this is where it began, ground zero!

The capitalistic mind to sell out to the public is to be despised and spit on, for it has robbed us of this fantastic series.

Now, tactical gaming is all but gone, the only bright star in the sky being ArmA 2. For the rest, it's sticking to the golden oldies: H&D, first Ghost Recon (again Ubisoft did an abysmal job at creating a worthy successor. GG Ubisoft, go die in a fire), Operation Flashpoint, Rogue Spear (although Raven Shield is still a very good game, i prefer the feel of Rogue Spear personally).

Yeah I can only wish that I had an internet connection at the time when I got this game. Playing it online must have been awesome. And yes, SIC-Disaster it is a terrible shame what has happened to this series and indeed the rest of PC gaming. Pathetic traitors selling out to the mega corporate publishers.

Bohemia is the only developer I know of now that still makes proper tactical PC games like this. They have stayed loyal to their community, the people who made their games the hits they are. The fact that they can pull of a game with the scale and detail of ArmA 2 without massive funding from a publisher gives me unreserved respect for BIS.

Edited by LkS

Nice vid. I still remember i spent countless hours using ingame debug options to get coordinates for different positions in every room of every R6 map. Then i put them into the mission files and ended up with a totally random environment. (1st R6 game btw)

Anyone remembers CovertOps ? Man, the crashed airplane in the jungle was so full of snipers, it felt like the AI was cheating. Ripped my hair out while fighting through that map.

Now that i think about it all, why don't they make a remake with todays gfx? Instead of whining about the video game crysis & stuff. :P

Edited by ])rStrangelove

Played the original Rainbow Six to death, but the rest on the series never caught on though.

Wow!

Nice video.

That gave me goose bumps!

I totally loved RS - Rouge Spear and especially the mission "Lost Thunder" (The Kosovo map), and the first one on the ship, and, well most of them but those are the two I remember most.

And that you could play them in MP, I can't tell how many hours me and my friends spent on those maps :)

Played the mission pack Urban Operations alot too.

RS Raven Shield didn't run that well on my computer even tho' it was supposed to be "state of the art" at the time.

Fun gameplay and maps too nevertheless.

Never tried the new ones and never will.

I loath LoL(con)sole games.

Remakes of old classics seem to be something which game producers do nowadays, see Lucasarts and "Secret of Monkey Island" for example.

So Please PLEASE! Ubisoft & Redstorm make remakes of the RS series (leaving out the LoL(con)sole versions ofc)

The console industry are destroying PC gaming I tell you! (BF 1943 24 players max, dumbed down versions of other games, dull graphics etc...

Ahhhh, and old classic. Makes me feel old to think when I first played it. Heck still got the cd's! Think the graphics would come as a shock though.

Edited by alext223

Remakes of old classics seem to be something which game producers do nowadays, see Lucasarts and "Secret of Monkey Island" for example.

So Please PLEASE! Ubisoft & Redstorm make remakes of the RS series (leaving out the LoL(con)sole versions ofc)[/size]

Supposedly some of the old Redstorm devs are working for Blackfoot Studios which is working on some Rainbow Six/Ghost Reconesque games. Remains to be seen how good they are.

I think OFP has overtaken now the amount of time I hvae used on eny game but Rouge spear especialy the Urban operations pack was what I used most of my time on when I where in school, I don't know it must have been several 100 times I practiced entry in the kill house, training my self to shoot semi-auto shooting for the head. The docks mission was one of my favorite to do terrorist hunt on, it was realy creapy and it was dificult to see the terrorist.

Btw: R6 Ravenshield had great ragdoll effect files in a dir called "karma". Those files were compatible with the files in Brothers in Arms.

Copy those files over to BiA and you get dismemberments & different style of drops. Much cooler than the original BiA deaths. Try it!

Supposedly some of the old Redstorm devs are working for Blackfoot Studios which is working on some Rainbow Six/Ghost Reconesque games. Remains to be seen how good they are.

Not very, judging by the level design I've seen.

They are using the Unreal engine and quite frankly I thought the models were sub Rogue Spear resolutions.

I noticed after they finally showed off their work, their busy forum turned into a ghost town.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but I'm not holding out much hopes on that front currently.

Recent character work i've seen was looking very good on GB.

Different kinds of body armour, just like in Rogue Spear and Raven Shield etc.

I'm still keeping my hopes up for them, it would be great if they could succeed.

There are some people who worked on the original R6 and Ghost Recon games (John Sonedecker, BFS's boss being the main one i think), and they have got back-up from several Special Forces soldiers providing their input (HatchetForce being the main one i think).

However the studio isnt large, so work is slow. Before GB is released, they want to release a smaller project called Sky Gods to gain more funds and immediately get player input of what should be changed (not towards mainstream but to what the oldschool fans want. Their motto is 'dont build a community around your game, build your game around a community' because the oldschool fans have been left in the cold)