Sign in to follow this  
katua

How to use rifles with grenade launcher

GL TEST

GL's are notoriously difficult to use because of range-judging problems, but I like using them against light vehicles/helos at short/medium range (like 'bazookas') because a solid target is easier to hit than say a group of dispersed infantry.

Furthermore, when the grenade hits the veh/helo it explodes on impact, no annoying bouncing off like thrown pineapples do..:)

A fat juicy tanker is emerging from behind that tree so I draw a bead on it, aiming just in front so it drives into the slow-flying grenade-

AA-GL1sml.jpg

Direct hit! This was pure luck, it usually takes 2 or 3 shots to find the range.

The crate lurches and stops with its tyres blown out-

AA-GL3sml.jpg

Edited by PoorOldSpike

The driver bails and runs like hell, good call..

AA-GL4sml.jpg

Leaving our Grenadier to gloat-

duel.gif

PS- More awesome witticisms and screenshots from that stunning sequence are full-size at the Few Good Men-

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/showthread.php?7338-Grenade-launchers&p=51035#post51035

Edited by PoorOldSpike

I too have difficulty aiming the grenade launcher.

One time I fired at a group of enemy. They stupidly had bunched up.

I fired and the grenade went off in the middle of the bunch and I knocked down 4 with one shot!

I was thrilled!

I have been useless with the weapon since.

-

I think that the m32 mgl would rock. It would be the answer to the prayers of the 'shoot then adjust' grenade launcher crowd (myself included) if only BIS had included it in the game, I mean, the Marine Corps does issue it now. :)

Isn't that the weapon that is in the game already? It's just that the sight is messed up and doesn't work at all.

from what I remember, practice is the best solution !

On the picture posted before I remember that each bar is for 25 meters when you are NOT zooming the view. So if you have a soldier at 75 meters, then align the 3rd bar to the soldier's feet.

This assumes that you have a rangefinder or the "spacebar" to scan the enemy distance.

If you don't have the HUD, it is better if you don't zoom in as you will have a better view of your weapon and the best angle for the throw. Then practice is the best way to hit the target.

I really wish you could use the leaf sight like in infiltration for UT99. It made sense and worked. I can barely aim the leaf sight in ArmA2 because I have to aim it at a 45 degree angle and have to make adjustments based on which cloud I'm aiming at.

Hi, what i did on the ArmA and served me for the ArmA2 too, was to practice alot (with the M16A4 ACOG + M203), placing objects (like wrecked cars) on the edges of an editor's square and one in the middle; once i was able of land the nades on the center of the car wreck... i'd switched to targets (the red ones) and finally... with NMEs with this line one the INIT box: 'this setbehaviour careless'. After that i'd began to practice on moving targets at the same ranges (from left to right) and now i can do it well enough with the M16A4 ACOG+M203, but... im unable to score anything with a M4A1 ACOG+M203. Was dissapointing to fail with all the M4s on my ArmA's weapons pack. Let's C ya

Substituting working sights with practicing until you can guess roughly where you'll hit is a bad idea. Both in real life and while playing this game.

I for one will not use the grenade weapons until the sights are fixed. When playing Arma2 I prefer having fun in missions, rather than firing thousands of grenades on the range just to be able to better guess where they'll land.

Edited by Johan S

Actually if you practice ALOT you can use it effectively.

Or just try to shoot it into the middle of the screen.

Train first on flat ground (sunny day) until you can manage to hit stationary box-sized targets at ranges from 100m - 400m.

After this train to hit such targets from a lower or higher position eg training course in hills, valleys and urban areas. Than repeat all and try to change the daylight/weather conditions. If you sure to hit at least 80% with the first round - try to hit moving targets. Repeat all till you can estimate (no guesswork!) where the grenades hit. No gain without pain! ;)

This sort of comments are getting really boring...The guy is asking about vanilla game, not about modifications of it.

That goes for all that other threads that get a similar reply, from yourself and people such as yourself.

NOTE: i got nothing against ACE, especially since i was part of it. But then again, it has nothing with the mod/addon your are posting about, especially when the question is not related to any of those

Acctually, for some of us this is valuable information. I haven't figured out how to enable this, so if anybody can tell me how to do this in ACE I'll be glad.

I am pretty sure you just get you switch to your GL then you press the "UP" And "DOWN" arrow to set the distance to the target. Then you aim and fire.

It will probably take about 5 shots to figure out how to exactly use it, hopefully only 1 :)

@aLmAnZo press Shift+0[NUM] when equipped with GL

That should show you how far the Grenade will go

The GP25 sight is set so that the notch is aligned for a 150m distance target. Beyond that, get practice :P

afaik all GLs that have sights are aligned for 150m (of course IRL you could align them for any range, not just 150m).

GRENADE LAUNCHER TESTS

This is the baby, there are also other GL rifles in the game, but whether they have the same ballistics I don't know-

AA-gl1b-1.jpg

The tests indicate these are the correct range bars (and yes, 300m is off the scale)-

AA-gl-rge.jpg

100 metres test

I stand a group of civilians 100m away (civs so they won't mess up the test by shooting back)-

AA-gl1.jpg

And lay the central range bars on them and pull the trigger-

AA-gl4.jpg

The grenade detonates among them (ignore the sights now being in the sky, the recoil kicked them up there)

AA-gl5.jpg

Edited by PoorOldSpike

@ PoorOldSpike

I appreciate your tests. I tested with a with 74 Kobra, a slightly less sophisticated rifle.343kjmw.jpg

It seems (atleast to me) your indications where off by about 25mtrs.

might be wise to test if there is a difference in the aim based on the player stance too?

IE: standing, kneeling, and prone

@ PoorOldSpike

I appreciate your tests. I tested with a with 74 Kobra, a slightly less sophisticated rifle.

It seems (atleast to me) your indications where off by about 25mtrs.

In my tests, each group of civilians went down and I also zapped a fuel truck in an earlier test which put a smile on my face bigger than a wave on a slop bucket, so the range bars work fine for me..:)

PS:-In all my tests in various wargames over the years, i've avoided getting on the statistics merry-go-round like the plague, or there'd be no end to it and we'd get bogged down in petty facts and figures.

As i always tell my doting wargame students "play by gut instinct, not by sliderule", then I sit back watching them race up wargame league ladders and think "That's my boy,you're a soldier now!"

Edited by PoorOldSpike

might be wise to test if there is a difference in the aim based on the player stance too?

IE: standing, kneeling, and prone

There isnt that i could tell.

I'm surprised noone has commented. That's an excellent guide PoorOldSpike.

-k

shouldn't the m203 shoot farther than in game? it seems you have to lob it mortar style just a few hundred meters away.