Sign in to follow this  
RazorX

The Icarus Project

What feature would you find the most interesting and enjoyable in the Icarus Project?  

131 members have voted

1. 1. What feature would you find the most interesting and enjoyable in the Icarus Project?

• Lots of action/shootouts
    • Freedom of choice
    • A living country
    • Lots of missions and tasks to complete

OFFICIAL WEBSITE!!!!!!

http://icarus.cba.pl

OFFICIAL WEBSITE!!!!!!

Project name

No official name so far.

Figures under codename: Icarus.

Project type

Singleplayer mission

Project status

Details on the website

What's it all about?

I've been a scripter and a missionmaker since few years from now, but this is my first project for the OFP and ArmA community. Well, my native language is not English, so forgive me if I make some mistakes.

I have yet created many missions for OFP, mainly for my own, sometimes for friends. I wanted to achieve one thing... create a dynamic world, full of life, full of opportunities, full of people that will help you or stand in your way and (the most important) a campaign that you can accomplish in a way you like to accomplish it (or you don't want). No strict missions you need to pass to achieve your goal. I've grabbed the OFP editor, written some scripts and the creation has started. The first project was to take place on Everon, later on Nogova island, but it was never completed. Now, when ArmA2 was released, I decided to continue and this time finish the project.

I've played the FTA mission on OFP, it was called a 'life simulator', but well... it was far from ideal. So i decided to make something by myself.

Now imagine a country.... a normal country.... with it's citizens, economy, politics, army. And then there's you. You came here for a purpose (well, can't exactly tell details untill the storyline is completed, no spoilers!). You can do whatever you want to do, become whoever you want to become. If you wish to prosper as an exemplary citizen, it's your choice, if you see yourself in a world of crime, it's your chioce. The situation in the country will change by the influence of politics, economy, crime world and many random events. The prices of goods will go up or down. The world will be fully dynamic. Every decision you will make will have an effect on the gameplay, just like the decisions in your real life.

Well... Chernarus Life is a multiplayer mission. I haven't seen the City Life yet, but I think they represent a similar concept. But what I wish to do is to focus on a singleplayer gameplay. I'm trying to create a dynamic country with it's life, all it's problems and opportunities. When player can spend many hours trying to (or not) complete his main objective, but additionally has an opportunity to live in a dynamic world in which the situation changes on his eyes and he is able to change it in a way he wants. And, what's more important, if he wishes to restart the game, the newly created world will be different, nothing or very little will be the same in comparison with the previous game, he has started. The crime world will change, the politicians will have different ideas and take different actions, the police will chase different criminals, the people he has met previously will not exist after he restarts the game and he will have to make new contacts. This will keep people playing and playing and if the game creates a new situation around them, which they can never predict, they will be likely to start it all over again 100 times if they want to, or just keep playing the same game in the same world, that they already know well.

The player will have absolute freedom. He will decide what path he will take. If the player wants action and shootouts, he/she may join the police, the army or a gang - action provided. If the player wishes to become a businessman, then, in example, he can start being a trader and after that buy a company that will generate revenue. He may also sell guns to the gangs, but he must be aware that the armed gangs may be dangerous to public safety and even start a war. Player's decisions will change the world around him, the gangs may want to assasinate him, the police may want him in prison (in which he may decide to stay, break o bail) or the secret agencies may want to hire him. Everything the player wants, the game will provide him, but he has to think smart what consequences the proper action will have and the consequences of the actions of AI players, i.e. if a politician stands for fighting organised crime, then the gangs may want him dead, they may hire a sniper to take the man down. After the assasination, player may find out what happened in the radio news. He may also hear news about what he has recently done. If there is a shootout, the player must be aware, that the police will arrive very quickly. If you hear in the news that the police is looking for a serial killer, expect more patrols. If the country has declared a war against other coutry, expect an invasion. Your decisions and the AI decisions will form the world, you live in. The game can become easy, or deadly hard. This game is all about thinking like in real world.

Buy cars, houses, boats, companies. Or.... steal cars, boats, burn houses, bring companies to dust. Everything is in your hands. Listen to people, they will have important information, some won't tell you anything, some will lie to you, some will try to kill you, some will try to save your life when in trouble. Make friends in the government, or even become a politician. Call the police by the cell phone if needed... if hurt, call an ambulance.

Make money on legal business or try something illegal like smuggling.

Everything is up to you.

In all this just don't forget, you're here for a reason.

I haven't thought about this project as a multiplayer mission, but no one knows how it will evolve. The aim is to create a dynamic world full of surprises, full of action, full of opportunities. Not a game that the player will start, choose a scenario and play it for an hour.

Some sripts have already been made in the OFP, I only need to put them in ArmaA2. But I know there's still a long way from the final product.

I would like to know what do you think of this project. Is it worth developing?

Because I'm only a missionmaker, I look forward to see addonmakers in action - to use their objects, units or islands ingame.

More updates soon...

Peace...

OFFICIAL WEBSITE!!!!!!

OFFICIAL WEBSITE!!!!!!

Edited by RazorX

I applaud your efforts. This relates to a concept I posted on and it's encouraging to see someone else thinking this way.

Keep going with it.

can you be military/police in second life and can you steal from/kill people?

Wow, strong words.

"Fallout: ArmA" ;)

Good luck with this, and do you have a team? Cuz this sounds brain frying and very long to make. :eek:

Well, It is a singleplayer project, so I need to close literally a whole living country in one mission. I can do this even not using any 3rd party addons, but I really think they will be needed to make a good effect.

However, there's gonna' be a lot of scripting, but scripting itself is easy, creating the algorithm is a challenge :P

So, there's gonna' be a lot of brainf***ing :P

Well, It is a singleplayer project, so I need to close literally a whole living country in one mission. I can do this even not using any 3rd party addons, but I really think they will be needed to make a good effect.

However, there's gonna' be a lot of scripting, but scripting itself is easy, creating the algorithm is a challenge :P

So, there's gonna' be a lot of brainf***ing :P

I imagine...

Make a beta and try to simulate a small vilage. Then fix the problem in that and copy & paste ;)

can you be military/police in second life and can you steal from/kill people?

Meant as light hearted, obviously irony lost :eek:

To answer your question, if you can be a paedophile:mad: in second life, then actually maybe the police;) and kill;) people should be in it.

Not that i have ever used it.:confused:

I imagine...

Make a beta and try to simulate a small vilage. Then fix the problem in that and copy & paste ;)

Well, some scripts may work with the copy/paste method, but using this, villages/towns will be isolated. Reality level downgraded :P This thing is very complicated and a detail may cause serious bugs during gameplay.

But my team is ready ;)

Well, some scripts may work with the copy/paste method, but using this, villages/towns will be isolated. Reality level downgraded :P This thing is very complicated and a detail may cause serious bugs during gameplay.

But my team is ready ;)

Well i more ment like make a general outline in one village (people going to work, using buses, going out with friends that kind of crap) and the just use those methods in all of the towns/villages.

Copy paste was wrong expresion... Myb rinse & repeat?

Well i more ment like make a general outline in one village (people going to work, using buses, going out with friends that kind of crap) and the just use those methods in all of the towns/villages.

Copy paste was wrong expresion... Myb rinse & repeat?

You're right. Everything on a local scale for now.

Hello RazorX,

My compliments on one of the most ambitious projects I've come across in a BIS game.

The first reaction is "WOW!" this could become something spectacular, the second reaction is "My God! making this mission/campaign will be bug hunting hell".

I think the focus on SP is smart, since the MP compatibility issues would be tough to get right, with so many functions and variables active... Jesus. But if you get it right it would be even more spectacular in MP.

Good luck and again my compliments,

The Outcast

i like the promise of this project and i hope it will get carried on till it is completed.

now i think i might have a possible setting for this mission to take place in, i got the idea for this setting when i read about the siege of sarajevo, this was a 4 year siege of the capital of bosnia by the "yugoslav people's army" and later the serb "army of the republica sprska". now to tell the story in a nutshell the serb's couldn't/didn't want to capture the city so they occupied the hills around the city and besieged it for four years. during this siege the city was shelled and fired upon by snipers of all sides now what makes it interesting is that there were on all sides multiple paramilitary, criminal and military organisations fighting with/against each other all while the people in the city tried to go on with their daily lives.

now i dont say that you need to make a mod/mission about the siege but you could make something that resembles the situation (city under siege, sniper and artillery attacks on a regular basis or even conducted by you, civilians struggeling to go on with their lives, several groups on all sides from wich you can accept missions, can buy things from, groups like criminals, militias, army, police, peacekeepers, journalists.....)

I have thought about giving the player the opportunity to choose between different starting conditions. Whether the country is at war or not and much more.

I think that your scenario is very innovative and I'm quite apt to use it.

I look forward to see more suggestions and ideas about the gameplay.

The project's official website will be created soon.

Edited by RazorX

OFFICIAL WEBSITE!!!!!!

OFFICIAL WEBSITE!!!!!!

More informations about the project are here. Feel free to comment.

The site is still with poor graphics, but I'm working on it :P

OFFICIAL WEBSITE!!!!!!

OFFICIAL WEBSITE!!!!!!

More informations about the project are here. Feel free to comment.

The site is still with poor graphics, but I'm working on it :P

Hi, nice project, but this is something quite like a herculean task.

If you want to finish it before ARMA 6 release, I think you shouldn't spend time on your website's graphics but concentrate your efforts on your idea which will be already hudge amount of development. Ok, this is not the best web graphics I know, but it does the work, and frankly everybody will be happier if you release your mission than if you change the graphics of the site.

Good luck!

Hi, nice project, but this is something quite like a herculean task.

If you want to finish it before ARMA 6 release, I think you shouldn't spend time on your website's graphics but concentrate your efforts on your idea which will be already hudge amount of development. Ok, this is not the best web graphics I know, but it does the work, and frankly everybody will be happier if you release your mission than if you change the graphics of the site.

Good luck!

Well, I'm not concentrating on the website's graphics as you might have seen :P the work is currently going on pretty well, much have been done already. Don't worry, I'll port it to ArmA 6 :P

I back this 100%. SP has been sadly neglected since the days of OFP.

Jezus... If this is finished, it will be EPIC.:eek:

It will be the best mission ever created!!!:D

I can't wait to play it! Too bad I can't contribute tho :p

I wish you good luck. You have my complete support in this!

Sounds a lot like Mount and Blade only set in modern times. Keep going with it!

Wow this is probably the most ambitious mission I've ever heard of since OFP's Abandoned Armies mission.

If you're actually able to complete it then it will be simply amazing, good luck to you.

Anyone interested in beta testings? Sign in!

More info about how to sign in on the project's website.

Well hpefully i are realize, what execly you have to go through, it`s sound like another game, and you only one persone, wich is one man army sound like, wish you luck and luck and luck, if you make it i will defenatly check it out...

Nice nice NICE.

absolutly ingenius this game.

just regitered on your site, and am gladly willing to help however i can :-)