Sign in to follow this  
xy20032004

Please enhance image quality back to 1.01 in patch 1.03

Seeing the change list of patch 1.03, I don't see anything about image qualiy improvement.

As most of us have noticed that patch 1.02 greatly reduced imgae quality to add FPS even with all settings set to max. I do hope BI can change image quality back to that of 1.01. Those who want more FPS can use medium or low settings, but for us who care image quality more, please enchance the image qualiy. Those low lods of medium and far distance trees and grasses are really image quality killers.

Please!Please!Please!

Do u have ur 3d resolution and interface resolution the same. It was called fill rate resolution or something like that in 1.01.

I havn't noticed any loss in quality in my game since i upgraded it even thou i just recieved my copy yesterday

Edited by vasmkd
spelling mistake

Image quality has IMPROVED with AA now. You must be doing something wrong.

Do what vasmkd has said.

Come on everybody, I know exactly what I am talking about.

Under this condition: every setting is Very High, Postprocessing Off, view distance 5000,

then....................

In 1.01, if you set fillrate to 200%, you are indeed using Super Sample Anti-aliasing x 2.

In 1.02, You can set anti-aliasing to x 2, x 4, x 8, it's Multisample Anti-aliasing.

With the same setting, x2 or x4, x8, SSAA has better anti-aliasing effect than MSAA but with lower FPS. I do prefer MSAA. It provides good anti-aliasing effect with good FPS. Patch 1.02 has done great improvement in this important part. That's very cool and I am not complaining about this.

What I said about image quality is the LOD of medium and far distance trees and grasses, the LOD is set too low compared to 1.00 and Patch 1.01, the result is blurry and ugly looking trees and grasses in medium and far distance. In fact, this is an old topic, I talked about this before and some people who care much image quality have found this problem too. If you have just installed the game, update to 1.01, do watch those medium and far distance trees and grasses with attention, then update to 1.02, watch again, you will notice this problem.

What I hope to get is that BI can increase the LOD distance of trees and grasses in Patch 1.03 (not the thing like clutterdistance=125, I can mod that in PBO files and I konw how to do it. It's the LOD thing which now I don't konw where to modify.), or the best way is to let users to adjust it at our own taste. Thanks!

Are you using the new render resolution thing? It's right under the screen resolution setting in the visual settings, it's the new fillrate setting. Just reworded so that people understand what it means more.

Under this condition: every setting is Very High, Postprocessing Off, view distance 5000,

then....................

In 1.01, if you set fillrate to 200%, you are indeed using Super Sample Anti-aliasing x 2.

In 1.02, You can set anti-aliasing to x 2, x 4, x 8, it's Multisample Anti-aliasing.

With the same setting, x2 or x4, x8, SSAA has better anti-aliasing effect than MSAA but with lower FPS. I do prefer MSAA. It provides good anti-aliasing effect with good FPS. Patch 1.02 has done great improvement in this important part. That's very cool and I am not complaining about this.

What I said about image quality is the LOD of medium and far distance trees and grasses, the LOD is set too low compared to 1.00 and Patch 1.01, the result is blurry and ugly looking trees and grasses in medium and far distance. In fact, this is an old topic, I talked about this before and some people who care much image quality have found this problem too. If you have just installed the game, update to 1.01, do watch those medium and far distance trees and grasses with attention, then update to 1.02, watch again, you will notice this problem.

What I hope to get is that BI can increase the LOD distance of trees and grasses in Patch 1.03 (not the thing like clutterdistance=125, I can mod that in PBO files and I konw how to do it. It's the LOD thing which now I don't konw where to modify.), or the best way is to let users to adjust it at our own taste. Thanks!

Funnily enough, the opposite happened to me : I had horrible medium distance tree textures all the time.

Now I barely spot them

I agree with the OP. I couldn't be %100 sure without going back to 1.01 and doing a direct comparison. But either way, there are some objects: Trees, vehicles and buildings that are not changing LOD until you are right on top of them (within 100 meters), it can look pretty bad.

then....................

Fillrate =/= AA

If you play the game at 200% fillrate in 1.01, use a render resolution in 1.02 twice as large as your monitor, as render resolution is fillrate with a different name and option selection.

I agree with the OP. I couldn't be %100 sure without going back to 1.01 and doing a direct comparison. But either way, there are some objects: Trees, vehicles and buildings that are not changing LOD until you are right on top of them (within 100 meters), it can look pretty bad.

+ 1.

Some objects are more affected than others but its pretty bad overall!

I have never seen such horrific vegetation in a BIS game yet, i hope Arma 2 will get to look atleast as good as Armed Assault because atm it looks worse..

I think they did that as a quick fix in the 1.2 damage control patch since everyone was/is complaining about performance..

Post some screenshots of the difference. I don't see it....