Sign in to follow this  
BKnight3

The Corpsman is a Sailor, not a Marine

Small detail that needs to be recognized. A sailor uses Navy ranks rather than Marine ranks, therefore the corpsman should be reflected respectedly.

Keep in mind, to declare one real life Corpsman to be a Marine, or a Marine to work for the Navy (which they infact do :p) is considered an insult and may result in.... unpleasantness.

Speaking from experience?

It's like being a Submarine ET and being called a Nuke... also causes 'unpleasantness'

Are you sure? My teacher's husband is a Marine Corpsman. And she did specifically say Marine.

Speaking from experience?

It's like being a Submarine ET and being called a Nuke... also causes 'unpleasantness'

FC here, worked on an LHD, and after witnessing several little discussions, indeed. I'll have family making such discussions soon as well, cousin's FMF HM, lil bro just went to Parris Island.

you do know the Marine corp is a department of the navy,THE MENS DEPARTMENT!!!!!!LOLOLOLOL.sorry bout that,couldnt resist,im ex army myself,so i can pick on both branches,its an army right.lol.

Small detail that needs to be recognized. A sailor uses Navy ranks rather than Marine ranks, therefore the corpsman should be reflected respectedly.

Keep in mind, to declare one real life Corpsman to be a Marine, or a Marine to work for the Navy (which they infact do :p) is considered an insult and may result in.... unpleasantness.

As unpleasant as it may be the truth is simple. The marines are and always have been a subdivision of the Navy. What your saying is false. The Marines and the Navy both use Corpsman.

All is good though God bless all the services.

To clear this all up, and to show some facts, here is a link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corpsman

And one on the USMC specifying this particular subject:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Marine_Corps#United_States_Navy

"Marines do not recruit or train noncombatants such as chaplains or medical/dental personnel; naval personnel fill these roles."

Go, be educated, and know that all Corpsman are NOT Marines, and are in fact, Sailors.

At the very top level of civilian organization, the USMC is part of the Department of the Navy and reports to the Secretary of the Navy. However, it is considered to be a distinct, separate service branch and not a subset of the Navy; the highest ranking Marine officer, the Commandant of the Marine Corps, does not report to a Navy officer.

Wikipedia

The marines are a department of the navy in name only. The high command of the navy has no authority over the marines, making it a desuire(pardon the french spelling) command structure only. Also, a corpsmen is not a non combatant in the marines. They carry guns, shoot people, and all that happy stuff. Well, at least some do. Your point may be more valid if we were talking about more advanced medical personnel, such as a field surgeons. Then again, the lines between medical personnel and soldiers is ever more thin. This is the first age where every soldier has the capacity to treat someone using their cls techniques. And as a final note, the marines do have their own corpsmen. If you were to bring up the records of a corpsmen in Afghanistan right now you would see he enlisted as a marine, has a marine rank, and falls under the complete jurisdiction of the marines.

Edited by manberries

Given that the ranks in ArmA2 are entirely incomplete, and universal to all sides, I dont think that him having "Marine" rank instead of Navy rank is really that much of an issue.

At least he's called a Corpsman and not a Medic...

The marines are a department of the navy in name only. The high command of the navy has no authority over the marines, making it a desuire(pardon the french spelling) command structure only. Also, a corpsmen is not a non combatant in the marines. They carry guns, shoot people, and all that happy stuff. Well, at least some do. Your point may be more valid if we were talking about more advanced medical personnel, such as a field surgeons. Then again, the lines between medical personnel and soldiers is ever more thin. This is the first age where every soldier has the capacity to treat someone using their cls techniques. And as a final note, the marines do have their own corpsmen. If you were to bring up the records of a corpsmen in Afghanistan right now you would see he enlisted as a marine, has a marine rank, and falls under the complete jurisdiction of the marines.

Really? Like this?

http://www.military.com/news/article/marine-corps-news/navy-corpsman-shines-among-marines.html?col=1186032325324

"It was no different for two Navy corpsmen with 3rd Medical Battalion, Combat Logistics Regiment 35, 3rd Marine Logistics Group, who were awarded medals Monday for their actions while deployed with Marines in Afghanistan."

http://www.military.com/news/article/marine-corps-news/actions-earn-corpsman-combat-promotion.html?col=1186032320397

"A Sailor from 2nd Medical Battalion, Combat Logistics Regiment 25, 2nd Marine Logistics Group, received a combat meritorious promotion to the rank of petty officer first class, Dec. 17, for actions in Iraq from March 29 to April 28."

Hmm... "Petty Officer First Class," doesn't sound like a marine now does it?

And abit of history for you people:

http://www.military.com/news/article/marine-corps-news/celebrating-111-years-of-saving-lives.html?col=1186032320397

Find me one Corpsman with a marine rank, and you will make history. Look it up, google. Perhaps you've been enlisted longer than me and met one from 111 yrs ago?

I know this little detail isn't game breaking at all. This is BIS with their super realistic military sim, not Battlefield 2. Surely, they can change text around and make a sound bite? "Doc," must be the hardest thing to utter apparently.

Guess that 90% of ArmAII players could live with "corpsman" and I bet they could still enjoy the game with good old "medic". Imho such things are on very very low priority according to other bugs and gameplay issues.

Really? Like this?

http://www.military.com/news/article/marine-corps-news/navy-corpsman-shines-among-marines.html?col=1186032325324

"It was no different for two Navy corpsmen with 3rd Medical Battalion, Combat Logistics Regiment 35, 3rd Marine Logistics Group, who were awarded medals Monday for their actions while deployed with Marines in Afghanistan."

http://www.military.com/news/article/marine-corps-news/actions-earn-corpsman-combat-promotion.html?col=1186032320397

"A Sailor from 2nd Medical Battalion, Combat Logistics Regiment 25, 2nd Marine Logistics Group, received a combat meritorious promotion to the rank of petty officer first class, Dec. 17, for actions in Iraq from March 29 to April 28."

Hmm... "Petty Officer First Class," doesn't sound like a marine now does it?

And abit of history for you people:

http://www.military.com/news/article/marine-corps-news/celebrating-111-years-of-saving-lives.html?col=1186032320397

Find me one Corpsman with a marine rank, and you will make history. Look it up, google. Perhaps you've been enlisted longer than me and met one from 111 yrs ago?

I know this little detail isn't game breaking at all. This is BIS with their super realistic military sim, not Battlefield 2. Surely, they can change text around and make a sound bite? "Doc," must be the hardest thing to utter apparently.

He is correct

Edited by anfiach

Given that the ranks in ArmA2 are entirely incomplete, and universal to all sides, I dont think that him having "Marine" rank instead of Navy rank is really that much of an issue.

At least he's called a Corpsman and not a Medic...

Aren't the ranks depicted as Army ranks anyway (in game)? =P

I believe so. This game does not follow the Marine ranking system very well if it even tries to.

To clear this all up, and to show some facts, here is a link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corpsman

And one on the USMC specifying this particular subject:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Marine_Corps#United_States_Navy

"Marines do not recruit or train noncombatants such as chaplains or medical/dental personnel; naval personnel fill these roles."

Go, be educated, and know that all Corpsman are NOT Marines, and are in fact, Sailors.

Go get educated? maybe you should learn to read an entire quote before answering with posts to wikipidia.

I never said all corpsman were only marines jackass. All i said was that both the navy and marines have people designated as corpsman. No need for stupid remarks about being educated on the matter. I have been serving my country for over 10 years I think i know more tabout what goes on in the services then a snot nosed spoiled internet brat does. :)) Oh and also what the fuck are y ou talking about they dont recruit non combatants? there is revryn or priest from every religion posted at every base in around the world. Please stop opening your mouth when you all clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

---------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:19 PM ----------

Thank you for explaining it better then me :( i am only a weak minded uneducated grunt :)

Edited by airguard79

Well, after reading this thread I can't possibly play the game anymore. Thanks alot guys.

Well, after reading this thread I can't possibly play the game anymore. Thanks alot guys.

Same here, I just can't handle this corpsman fiasco. The bugs, the performance issues, all that is just small stuff, but bloody hell, corpsman, I've just had it, I'm going to uninstall now.

Yeah, cuz ArmA1 was about the US Army so they didn't bother to change it going to ArmA2.

While a Navy hospital corpsman is not a marine... what uniform does he wear? I figure he probably at least dressed like the marines he's running around with.

Are you sure? My teacher's husband is a Marine Corpsman. And she did specifically say Marine.

Nope. Corpsmen are sailors. The Marines get all their docs from the Navy. She might just be unfamiliar with the specifics, considering her HUSBAND is the sailor, not her. Many corpsmen do ride with the Marines, so that's probably the reason she's confused.

I remember that in the movie Flags of our Fathers the 'doc' guy was wearing sailor uniform,

I didn't get it then. (I'm not from USA)