Sign in to follow this  
Merad

Troubleshooting TrackIR in ArmA 2 / OA

His symptom's sounds like when I smoke a cig while using TIR, also during daytime I have to cover a glass picture frame hanging on the wall when the sun is reflecting off it.

His symptom's sounds like when I smoke a cig while using TIR, also during daytime I have to cover a glass picture frame hanging on the wall when the sun is reflecting off it.

see now that should b incorporated into the game, if you're smoking at night (game)time, the enemy can see your cigarette glow on the nvgs

If you're using the "hat clip thingy" then essentially you're "passive IR tracking" - like I do with freetrack, except I use a reflective sideclip... its good cause theres no wires, but basically the cam is acting like a floodlight - spotlighting you in IR illumination - thats easy to forget 'cause it's invisible to you... but the trackIR cam sees it fine, and is particularly sensitive to it being bounced back... it'll think its a point source - and attempt to lock on it = occasional jitter...

If that reflection is occasional (like off glasses - or even an independant source like smokin a cig), you'll get occasional jitter as it appears and disappears...

The software is basically thinking - "wow - how did he suddenly get his head in that position?", and swiftly adjusts itself accordingly...

Reflections off say, a pic on the wall would be different - that would appear to the tracking software as a permanent point source, and so would be an ongoing hassle - not an occasional one...

Now Killwill is using a trackclip pro - that means he's draggin wires, but he is his own independant point source - so trackIR shouldn't be outputting IR at all in that mode...

The other possibility is overheating... even if it doesn't feel hot, the fact that it gets progressively worse over time is suspicious... That's how my trackIR 3 eventually died...

I'm not sure about tIR5 - its supposed to be a complete redesign and sounds good, but tIR4's and before DID/DO have a bit of a reputation when it comes to overheating (try googling for trackIR overheating)...

Again - the overheating should mainly be an issue when using passive tracking (ie: the hatclip thingy), and it's internal illumination LEDs are running full tilt... that shouldn't be the case if you're using an LED clip...

Doublecheck your settings - make sure you're NOT in "IR illumination/hatclip thingy" mode...

B

small P.S.... do you guys REALLY hafta run around covering up lights, darkening the room, closing windows an stuff???? Wow! Thats strange... I use passive IR reflection headtracking in normal daylight with 4 x 50w halogen spotlights directly overhead and I have no hassles or stray reflections whatsoever...

I was discussing ths with another BIS forum member recently and made him a really crappy little 60 sec video to show him the average illumination in the room where I use headtracking...

If anyones interested you can catch the video clip link Here...

Edited by Bushlurker

yup - the window illuminates me, but not the cam directly... the overheads are a different story... but it's all down to stray reflections really... I'm not particularly reflective, and neither is anything else (except the chrome rim of my glasses), but the "hatclip thingy" or whatever you use IS, so the tracker sees that and nothing else... Killwill is using an LED clip - thats 3 x "hot" point sources, the same concept applies...

General room illumination shouldn't be an issue or a problem... only stray reflections, or independant sources within the tracking cams field of view should cause any false tracking or occasional flickering...

If all those possibilities have been eliminated and the flickering still persists, my money's on either this...

1) i hadnt told the trackir5 profile to use the track clip pro...i.e. it was still set for the other 3prong thingy that sits on your cap.

So you're sitting in a floodlight that you can't see...

...or overheating as the cause...

B

Edited by Bushlurker

Getting ArmA2 into the games list by doing a game update check did the trick for me aswell.

small P.S.... do you guys REALLY hafta run around covering up lights, darkening the room, closing windows an stuff????

It's not that bad, for me it's a certain time of day when the sun is coming in perfect alignment thru a bay window to a pic on the wall, which the pic is at the perfect angle for the camera to pick it up.

Rarely am I playing during those 20 mins the sun is there, and if I am, I usually pause TIR and wait for it to pass.

Jorge's post deleted as it 1. promotes solutions that require cracks for our game, which is not acceptable to be discussed on here, and 2. links to a poll which is OT to this thread and is posted purely to promote the posters' agenda.

If you feel my moderating decision is incorrect then you're welcome to PM me, you're not welcome to ignore my instruction and repeat the same thing, FT requires a cracked ArmA2 executable for certain OS' or certain PC configurations, not all, but some, thus it has no place to be discussed on these forums as a currently viable tracking solution, it also absolutely certainly has no place to be discussed in a thread that's for NP users to receive NP troubleshooting support, especially when it's posted as a thinly veiled attempt to push the pro-FT agenda which I agreed to let you have a poll for, continue and you'll be post restricted, further attempts will lead to the poll being closed.

Trying to grandfather it into our current interface

TrackIR 2 cameras still work with OptiTrack so there is no reason why they shouldn't work with TrackIR software as well.

TrackIR 2 used a significantly different API than TrackIR 3, 4, and 5. It was inferior in many ways, probably primarily in ease of developer implementation.

It doesn't take much detective work to find out the real reasons for the different API. The difference is clearly not significant nor an improvement for ease of developer implementation.

It doesn't take much detective work to find out the real reasons for the different API. The difference is clearly not significant nor an improvement for ease of developer implementation.

As this thread is to discuss TrackIR troubleshooting issues and not to speculate on the whys and what fors I would ask you to stay on topic.

Hi all,

I've read some threads around in the forum but they dont help me enough...

so... my TIR4 dont want run in game ...

I've enabled correctly the TracKIR in Arma2 setting... and I've downloaded the last driver for TrackIR4 4.1.037.Final and the The TrackIR version 5.0 (this crash at startup with my W.XP sp2 - only the v4.0 work for me)

any help / suggestion ?

:j:

Did you say u enabled track ir in your profile name.cfg located in ArmA 2 folder or ArmA 2 Other Profiles folder in My Documents?

i.e. C:\Documents and Settings\Cameron\My Documents\ArmA 2 Other Profiles\OrdeaL

Then open ur profile cfg file and change trackIR=0; to trackIR=1;

Hi,

I think you may be having the same problem with mine.

Are you using the TrackClip(metal clip with reflectors) or the TrackClip Pro(Plastic USB clip with lights)?

If you are using the TrackClip Pro then you may be having the same problem as many others. I bet that your yellow or green light comes on in the game. But the blue light is not on... It is not going into Enhanced Mode.

I could not get it to with with the TrackClip Pro with the version 4 final drivers and the version 5-beta5 drivers either. I play FSX and ARMA2 on a daily basis. The trackIR worked flawlessly with the reflective TrackClip but I gave my soul to the devel and it still did not work with the TrackClip Pro.

After a few hours of beating my head on the desk. I found that there was a version 5-beta4 drivers that works perfect for me.

Give them a shot and see if they work for you:

http://media.naturalpoint.com/software/TrackIR_5.0.beta.04.exe

A little tip... If you start the game and forgot to start up the TrackIR software. Just Alt-Tab to the desktop and start the software. Then go back into the game and go into your controller settings and then click "Disable" then "Enable" to initialize the TrackIR.

Hope this helps... And save you many hours like me of digging through the forum.

If you would like to contact tech support. Just head on over to the Naturalsoft forums and post your question. They have excellent tech support on their forum. It's a great product with great support..

p.s. When you install the new drivers. Don't forget to close and uninstall the other version 5-beta5 software. You can still keep your installation of version 4. So long as they are not installed into the same folder. I have both version 4 and version 5.4 installed onto my pc at the moment.

Good luck :)

Edited by CID_Gen_Bondorf

ooooooo YESSSSS !!!!

thanks CID :)

problem solved.

Edited by qawa1967

ooooooo YESSSSS !!!!

thanks CID :)

problem solved.

No problem. When I saw your email. I suspected that you were having the same problem as me. And I just found this out this weekend. So your timing was perfect...lol

Have fun with the TrackIR. It's an awesome product. Takes a while to get use to in ARMA/ARMA2. But once you get used to it, it is great. Especially when flying.

Just another little note. I myself disable the lean and zoom functions of the TrackIR in ARMA2. I like using the head movements. But the lean and zoom sometimes get you killed.

Often times I play the game until I start to fall asleep. I then find myself starting to lean in my chair and this will cause your character to go into a lean and go from running to walking.

And I dislike having the zoom available. This is when you lean forward, you will zoom. It is nice when you use a rifle. It saves you the trouble of having to use a key to zoom. And you can zoom in the amount you wish. BUT, it is very dangerous when flying. All of a sudden you are looking around in your chopper and you go into a zoom and your perspective is all messed up. And we know what happens after that.

If you wish to disable those axis. The best is to create a new profile(I like using the Smooth profile, so I made a copy of it) and then I disabled those axes with the check-marks. And if you really want to set yourself up. You can assign that profile to ARMA2. This way the profile loads when the game starts.

Enjoy

:cool:

CID... we are tuned !!!

in my first mission, I've disabled the trackIR setting for zoom function !!!! lol

thanks for your precious and fast help !!!

Edited by qawa1967

Hey guys

I've just upgraded from Vista Ultimate Ed x64 to Windows 7 64-bit edition. Wow, what a massive improvement in performance in ARMA2! One slight problem - my TrackIR has stopped working.

I've used the latest official (not beta) drivers, and set it to run as admin with Vista Series Pack 2 64-bit mode compatibility. The software works fine, and I've enabled it in the game's controls. But when I play, it doesn't work at all. I can alt-tab out of ARMA2, and use the TrackIR softare to see that the virtual heads are moving, but alt-tab back into the game and I get nothin'.

Any ideas?

You need to enable the TrackIR in the control settings of ARMA 2...

Yep, its that easy.

And mine works without using compatibility mode and just run as administrator ticked on.

This is a common noob fail. It's a trap for young players.

Yeah - just 'enable it' and you can look at your feet.

My original post clearly states:

"The software works fine, and I've enabled it in the game's controls"

So that's not the issue... =(

Do the TIR lights turn off when you bring the game back up?

Tried alternate usb port?

In device mngr, are there any issues with hardware?

Edited by SWAT_BigBear

When using trickir the game flickers fairly often like it flicks to look somewhere else then instantly flicks back to where it should be.

Its very off putting and ruins the immersion.

I am using trackir 5.0.230 software and tackir 4 with trackclippro hardware and have none of these problems with other games.

Hope someone else has this problem and found a solution.

Sounds like theres some light in your background distracting your tracker..