Sign in to follow this  
Squigibo

The unkillable T-90

You're too close. The Javelin in Arma2 doesn't hit properly unless you're about 200m or more away from the target. I guess there's a bug that makes it explode too early if it comes in too high.

I just blew up a T-90 with full ammo, fuel and health with a single javelin.

I also just blew up one with 25% health and no fuel or ammo.

I also just blew up one with 25% health full ammo and fuel.

I also just blew up one with full health no ammo or fuel.

Maybe you just need to learn to use the javelin better.

Why is your ground so wavey?

Whats also funny is that in your related video section on youtube is there is a video of someone else blowing up a T90 with a javelin.

Edited by Jakerod

I just blew up a T-90 with full ammo, fuel and health with a single javelin.

I also just blew up one with 25% health and no fuel or ammo.

I also just blew up one with 25% health full ammo and fuel.

I also just blew up one with full health no ammo or fuel.

Maybe you just need to learn to use the javelin better.

Does it matter what part of the armour you hit?

Does it matter what part of the armour you hit?

I was just locking it on and firing it appears as though it was hitting the top as it is supposed to:

Javelin Minimum Effective Range Top-Down Attack: 150m

Source

You were firing from closer.

I just tested it and I got a kill from 152m. I also got a direct fire shot from 65m which is also accurate.

I was just locking it on and firing it appears as though it was hitting the top as it is supposed to:

Javelin Minimum Effective Range Top-Down Attack: 150m

Source

You were firing from closer.

I just tested it and I got a kill from 152m. I also got a direct fire shot from 65m which is also accurate.

Wow, they even modeled both attack modes!

Wow, they even modeled both attack modes!

Well direct fire was more of me tricking the system by just aiming lower but it is possible they meant to do that.

Whats also funny is that in your related video section on youtube is there is a video of someone else blowing up a T90 with a javelin.

Uh the reason my ground is so "wavey" (sp?) is because my graphics are on Very High and the breeze is blowing the grass back and forth. :yay:

I just uploaded me shooting a T-90 at 150m as I was told is minimum distance for a top attack. Well. here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsy9sY7YJLw

I tried attacking a T-90 with the javelin and it seems that 264m is the minimal range for destroying the tank. 200-263m causes severe damage and closer than 100m does nothing...

Did not try anything between 100-200m

This should be fixed, its not fair I have to be at certain distance to destroy a tank with a missile. I know some weapons got activation range but over 250 meters sound pretty far. The distance seen in the video is reasonable enough to destroy a tank.

This should be fixed, its not fair I have to be at certain distance to destroy a tank with a missile. I know some weapons got activation range but over 250 meters sound pretty far. The distance seen in the video is reasonable enough to destroy a tank.

This is called "Tactics". Know your weapon and for which fighting distance it is designed. The Javelin Medium Antiarmor Weapon System has a typical fighting distance of 2000m with a max distance of 4000m. The missile contains several security mechanism to prevent the warhead detonating by mistake or too close to the weapon operator.

For shorter ranges (from 50m to 300m) you should let the guy with the M136 or the SMAW do the job.

I think that information about javelin use (and other weapons) should be in the manual or somewhere else. The lack of information about game mechanics is huge and for new players can be a problem. I dont think this game has a high learning curve, problem is there is not documentation.

I think that information about javelin use (and other weapons) should be in the manual or somewhere else. The lack of information about game mechanics is huge and for new players can be a problem. I dont think this game has a high learning curve, problem is there is not documentation.

Agreed, you're completely right. So here some probably useful info about the Javelin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FGM-148_Javelin

This is called "Tactics". Know your weapon and for which fighting distance it is designed. The Javelin Medium Antiarmor Weapon System has a typical fighting distance of 2000m with a max distance of 4000m. The missile contains several security mechanism to prevent the warhead detonating by mistake or too close to the weapon operator.

For shorter ranges (from 50m to 300m) you should let the guy with the M136 or the SMAW do the job.

Typical fighting distance is 2000m? 2km? Thats its maximum. According to what I am looking at anyway. Its minimum is 150m in Top-Down attack as stated earlier. And if you fire it in direct its 65m which is also possible in ArmA II.

Reference taken from german Wikipedia (the text isn't on the english site):

Date: April, 6. 2003

Operation Name: "Northern Safari"

Involved Troops: 4th Iraqi Inf. Division vs. US Special Forces

Javelin hitrate: 14/19 (hits/shots)

Engagement distance: 3'000m (3km)

Greatest distance: T-55 at 3'700m (3.7km)

Totally destroyed vehicles by Javelins:

2 MBT (T-55), 8 APC's (not specified) and 4 Trucks (also not specified)

Your turn.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC1EB-sqKBY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC1EB-sqKBY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

1:04

Reference taken from german Wikipedia (the text isn't on the english site):

Date: April, 6. 2003

Operation Name: "Northern Safari"

Involved Troops: 4th Iraqi Inf. Division vs. US Special Forces

Javelin hitrate: 14/19 (hits/shots)

Engagement distance: 3'000m (3km)

Greatest distance: T-55 at 3'700m (3.7km)

Totally destroyed vehicles by Javelins:

2 MBT (T-55), 8 APC's (not specified) and 4 Trucks (also not specified)

Your turn.

FAS: 2,000m

Army-Tech: 2,500m

Global Security: 2,000m

Howstuffworks: 2,500m

AA Website: 2,500m (not really reliable but thought i'd throw it in.

Army Ranger: 2,500m

Need more?

I supposed its possible that it was used outside of what stuff says though. Or maybe 2,000-2,500 is an average.

High altitude, hot (less dense) air, launcher height advantage, high contrast thermal image... I can believe a Javelin could stretch it that far under the best circumstances.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC1EB-sqKBY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC1EB-sqKBY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

1:04

What was that? I don't speak Russian :(

Was it an AT rocket countermeasure?

You don't need all that ... all you need to realize is that 'advertized range' does not equal 'true range' in some cases. The rocket propellant for the Jav is likely good to carry it this far, but it's laso likely to be sub-optimal when it comes to engagement time. A TOW at 4km is flying for 20+ sec. Assuming that sort of flighttime for a far Javelin shot, that's a lot of time to implement some counter-measures.

High altitude, hot (less dense) air, launcher height advantage, high contrast thermal image... I can believe a Javelin could stretch it that far under the best circumstances.

What was that? I don't speak Russian :(

Was it an AT rocket countermeasure?

Who cares? Look at the man's hat. Winner.

Who cares? Look at the man's hat. Winner.

True indeed :D

all you need to realize is that 'advertized range' does not equal 'true range' in some cases.

Valid point.