Sign in to follow this  
Proton

Warfare Proton Mods

//////////////////////////////////////

Warfare V1.8F Proton Mods 1.3

//////////////////////////////////////

LATEST UPDATE: 12/08/2009 4:21 UK time - 1.3 released.

Download link: MP_Warfare32V18E_PE13.zip

This is a modification of the Superpowers 1.8F Warfare mission of ARMA2 v1.03. It was inspired by the excellent ARMA1 Warfare mod of Benny (XR). Check the changelog for a complete list of modifications.

Credits: Most of the code is a hack of BIS's warfare. I am using Kronzky's string scripts. The options dialog is based on a dialog in Benny's warfare2 edition.

Please report bugs in this thread.

LIST OF CHANGES:

1.3:

+ Increased overall AI skill to the highest.

+ Added an option to the communication menu to unflip selected vehicles.

+ Added an options dialog where it is possible to 1. set the view distance and terrain grid, 2. transfer money in a more convenient way, 3. compact and sort group member icons and 4. set the default vehicle lock/unlock.

+ Fixed bugs in the buy units menu hack.

+ Fixed: added arty server script timeouts to handle non-responding clients.

+ Fixed: destroyed AI teams are now re-added to high command properly.

+ Fixed: AI groups defending base will now leave their static defenses if base is too far.

+ Fixed: AI commander now moves its building location with the HQ, so it is possible to relocate the MHQ and give the command to the AI again.

+ Fixed: AI commander will not build in water anymore.

+ Fixed: Improved vehicle placement around factories.

+ Fixed: Mission works again on a shared client/server.

1.2:

+ Added artillery.

+ Found a workaround which made the addon unnecessary.

+ Added more weapons/vehicles.

+ Merged with changes of the 1.03 update.

+ Fixed game ending with a single deployed MHQ.

+ Fixed: base construction menu for non-AI first commander.

+ Increased starting money to $1000.

+ Increased minimum side starting distance to 4km.

+ Changed MHQ repair cost to $15000.

1.1 BETA:

+ Fixed buy unit menu for multiplayer clients.

+ Fixed bugs in supply truck autopilot.

+ Server-side execution of MHQ wreck placement.

+ Made lock/unlock faster for the owner.

+ Added more vehicles.

+ Fixed: minimum HQ deployment range from town centers works now.

+ Fixed: structures now updated for new clients.

+ Fixed: AI supply trucks do not refill anymore at undeployed or destroyed HQ.

1.0 BETA:

+ Buying units is now possible anywhere on map and from vehicles.

+ New vehicles now locked by default to prevent stealing. To lock/unlock, select the action menu of the AI in the vehicle (button '6') or stand next to it, and select "Lock" or "Unlock".

+ Service points now refill supply trucks. AI supply trucks are aware of this and use them.

+ Added an action to the player's AI driven supply trucks to automatically resupply a selected town (to make their management easier).

+ You can now respawn at any base structure and the undeployed/destroyed MHQ as well.

+ You can respawn at mobile ambulances if you died closer than 800m to it. Their price is increased to reflect their utility.

+ You CANNOT respawn at a camp or a mobile ambulance anymore if you died closer than 100m to it, or there are more or equal enemy troops than friendly closer than 50m to it.

+ MHQ wreck cannot be salvaged anymore and AI salvagers are no more aware of it.

+ If the deployed HQ is destroyed, an MHQ wreck is created in its place.

+ A destroyed MHQ can be repaired with a repair truck for $25000.

+ Enabled victory for capture all towns.

+ For a destroy base victory one side must destroy the MHQ and *all* existing factories (regardless their position).

+ Town information on the map now shows the maximum supply value in 'actual/max' format.

+ Added lots of weapons to both sides (like the AT13 to counter the Javelin) with updated costs.

+ Added vehicles (like the MLRS and the GRAD and airplanes to the air factory).

+ Increased supply costs and build time of structures.

+ Added a tag to identify ammunitions in the buy gear menu.

+ Fixed: removed build menu for destroyed vehicles.

+ Fixed: second crewman now properly placed into turret.

+ Fixed: items in buy gear menus are now shown only once.

+ Changed maximum number of players to 32.

+ Increased respawn time to 30 sec.

+ Increased maximum group size to 20.

+ Number of AI supply trucks was increased to 5 and AI salvagers to 2.

+ Increased base deploy distance from towns to 500m.

+ Changed mission setting default to "FastTime" (nights are fun!).

HINTS:

Currently there are 3 types of artillery: mortars, howitzers and rocket launchers. To start a fire mission you have to own some of these, and they should be manned with your own group's soldiers. Only one type of artillery can be used for a fire mission at once, and each player can conduct only one fire mission at a time. Each mission will cost you money depending on the type of the mission and the amount of arty pieces used. You cannot control the artillery while the fire mission takes place.

To use the artillery, select the fire team members by the F-keys. Then select "Communication" from the menu and choose "Fire mission". The available missions are different for each type of artillery. Pick the type of the mission from the menu which fits into your budget, and choose "Start". The fire control team is now allocated and the artillery pieces will be moved under the HQ's control. Wait a couple of seconds, and you should receive a menu with only one option of the selected fire mission; confirm this buy pressing '1'. The HQ will ask you to pick a target on the map and then the artillery will conduct the fire mission. Shells may fly for a long time so be patient. The artillery will join your team again after the fire mission finishes. If you die during an ongoing mission setup, you may loose your money but get no effect - make sure you are staying in a safe place.

To use the auto supply truck function, buy a supply truck or command a soldier to drive one. Display the map, select the truck driver with the F-keys, and select "Supply town..." from its action menu (key '6'). Then click on the (friendly) target town's name on the map. Your command is echoed and the driver starts commuting between this town and the nearest service point (or the HQ), hopefully making money in the process. It will still announce "waiting" when it stops, but it will immediately move on. The driver will automatically change its resupply point if it becomes invalid (when it is destroyed or the MHQ is mobilized), and it stops at the supply point if the target town was taken. It *only* checks for these when the driver is idle (for example because it has just finished its previous move), so be careful to keep an eye on them if their route is threatened. You can change the supplied town anytime and the driver changes its current target immediately (or turns back for resupply if it does not have enough supplies to resupply it). To stop the autopilot function select the action again and do not click on the map for 10 seconds. Never forget buying supply trucks and protect them, as they are intended to be the most important source of your team's income.

The new respawn rules are designed to encourage players 1. not to abuse camp spawning by multi-spawning on the same camp, 2. to capture more camps of a town to get safer spawning, 3. to try protecting captured camps from enemy troops, 4. when defending, to try recapturing camps. I hope the changes will make defending a town somewhat easier, and make the camps more important (so you need to think in real area defense). Using mobile respawn points for town capturing is strongly recommended, and as a defender, you may want to send out raiding parties to destroy or disable it by moving your team close.

Hope you will enjoy the mission. Any comments and suggestions are welcome. I am quite sure for example that the costs should be refined.

Proton

http://www.armaholic.com/users.php?m=details&id=11836

Edited by Proton

The changes sound pretty good. Looking forward to play it. Thanks for the effort Proton!

Sorry but it is not. The buy menu dialogs which must be modified are on the client side and BIS wired the scripts into the classes with an absolute path, while CreateGearDialog() can access only those. I simply could not find a way around that, but if you have an idea how to remove the addon, it would be nice. The only way I see now is to create a new GUI which uses CreateDialog() only, but it takes much more time. Maybe I will do that later if this addon is really a problem, but I have seen lots of missions in ArmA1 which needed an addon.

I have also tried to make it the least obstructive possible. The mission does not require the addon for starting, but the menus do not work and it warns you to download and install it from the URL. So in theory you can try running it in public and let the people connect without the addon. If they want to play the mission they will have the information to install the addon.

Hello Proton,

sounds great.

I tried it just at the moment but i dont see the mission. Whats the ingame name in the Mission Browser ?

I Put the Mission nd the Mission.bisign in the MP Missions folder of my dedicated.

Then i put the PRTN.bikey in the keys folder of my server.

i make an @proton folder with addons folder in it. There i put the WFProton.pbo and the bisign

I start the Server with additional -mod=@proton

On my home pc i make an @proton folder with addons folder in it. There i put the WFProton.pbo and the bisign.

I start my ArmA2 wit ArmA Launcher and @proton mod enabled.

When i now on my server in the Mission selcet Overview i dont see an Proton Warfare.

Make i anything wrong ?

Greetings

---------- Post added at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

okay i found an first bug :)

you dont make an ingame server missions name. There is an empty field at the top of the list and with this you can select your mission.

Greetings

---------- Post added at 12:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 PM ----------

second question.

how to deploy the MHQ ? When iam commander i dont find an option.

KI Commander instandly deploy the HQ.

Sorry but we dont play Superpower in ( german Supermächte ) before.

Greetings

Thanks for the feedback! The name bug was due to the fact that it looks like localization works differently in unpacked and packed files, it is now fixed. Sorry - thats my ever first .pbo :)

About the MHQ: you have to stand close to the MHQ itself, and select the "Construction" action. Deploying the MHQ is in the "Base" class of structures.

Wow, great! I've been chomping at the bit for new Warfare mods!

Does this mod feature the player controlled artillery interface?

That's really the number 1 thing I'm wishing for in Warfare. Full arty support (the real kind, not spawn shell crap). And a logical counter to it and/or nerfing of it to make it sane (like arty radar to identify the approximate origin of the arty, long resupply times, slower rates of fire, not being able to use arty near your main base - as to counter turtling, etc).

Arty is the next thing I would like to add, the nice module of BIS is tempting. The logic is already included, but I have not added a way to call the strikes. I decided to release the first version without arty, as arty has much less impact on the gameplay than the modifications above.

I am still contemplating about how to use it. Arty is really powerful - the new MLRS-class bombardments are similarly devastating as a smaller nuke, and you also have laser guided ammo now. And it is not really realistic to use rocket launchers with 40km+ range from the next village.

I am thinking on a virtual arty, where players are requesting the support, and the commander can enable it for them by paying for it. MLRS should be priced like the nukes were in the ArmA1 warfare mods.

However, I am unsure about the spawn shell thing - does it really make a difference? I think using the spawning method has much less impact on performance.

However, I am unsure about the spawn shell thing - does it really make a difference? I think using the spawning method has much less impact on performance.

It likely does have less impact on performance, but I'd imagine very little. And if it can be done realistically... why not? If you're thinking of putting in the system as you describe - then the victim of the arty wont have any way of disabling the arty that is attacking them (because the squad leader would be simply calling for it and *poof* it falls on their heads).

With an authentic system for arty, the victim of the arty could hunt down where the mortars, howitzers, MLRS, etc are... and destroy them. And in doing so, destroy a very significant investment that his enemy made in building all the arty pieces, etc. That said, there would have to be limits put it place as I mentioned before.

The whole artillery shells magically appearing in the sky thing bothers me when I'm playing a supposed mil sim :rolleyes:

Proton, you are MilitaryGaming.net's (a.k.a. |MG|, a gaming community for real life veterans) hero of the day, bud. We have been on all the major forums basically begging someone to mod Superpowers as it was with all the features that BI left out. Add artillery capabilities and it'd be near perfect. If we had the skills we'd have done it ourselves, but we don't, so we rely on good Samaritans like yourself. We're happy to finally see some more Warfare and less Co-op.

I'm currently running this through testing on our dedicated server. One potential bug I may have found so far is that if you join the game after it's already going, you can't buy units, no matter where you go. I did try going close to the factories/barracks, and disconnecting and rejoining. I'm also not sure if it happens 100% of the time, like if I were to restart the mission on the server and try it again, could I replicate the bug. I've got the server running the mission in persistent battlefield mode (restarted after the bug) currently and I will tell you more once I reconnect.

I did have a question as to how you implemented the fixed-wing aircraft... Should you drive your MHQ up to an airfield (after your base is established elsewhere), and then build an Aircraft Factory? The reason I ask is because when I took over Cmdr from the AI at the start and drove to the NW Airfield and deployed the MHQ there, it always gives a "OPFOR Wins!" message and ends the mission. Also, I'm not sure if anyone else has this issue, but for me when I assume Cmdr from the AI before AI has built anything, and I drive the MHQ somewhere, when I get out I can't get the Construction option from the action menu. This goes for both Superpowers and this mod. I have to disconnect and rejoin quickly (so I'm still Cmdr), then I can get Construction option to pop up.

Proton, you're welcome to come see your work in action with up to 16 players on MG.net's server. Our addy is: 216.6.231.130:2312 or use the search filter "MG", we're |MG| www.MilitaryGaming.net.

Keep up the good work!

Luke a.k.a. |MG| Godfather

USMC Sergeant

Founder, www.MilitaryGaming.net

---------- Post added at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 PM ----------

It's definitely a persistent/repeatable bug. You cannot buy units anywhere at all if you join a server after it first starts. That pretty much makes it unplayable for dedicated servers where people come and go. Please fix this! You may want to remove whatever it is that you did that allows for buying units from inside vehicles/elsewhere. That isn't really important anyway. Also, small bug, there's a $90 "Rifle" under the US buy weapons menu that is either invisible, or doesn't exist.

Edited by USMCLuke

Dunno, I think being able to buy units anytime anywhere would add a lot to warfare. No reason to make you travel back to base repeatedly.

In my opinion, and that of my fellow veterans is that it adds a little more "arcade-ness" to it. We like ArmA 2 over other FPS-type games because of the realism aspect of the game engine.

However, I'm not arguing whether it's good or bad, the problem right now is because he changed this, it's no longer playable unless everyone who is going to play on the server is on when it starts the mission and does not disconnect. That's why I'm asking for him (or anyone) to remove this feature until the bugs are worked out, everything else so far seems to work pretty good.

I still haven't found a good way to integrate the fixed-wing assets. My only thought is to move the MHQ to an airfield after the AI Cmdr builds the initial base, and then build an Aircraft Factory in a position so that when it spawns a plane it can use the runways. If you try to relocate the MHQ to an airfield at the start as soon as you build it, the other team wins and the mission ends. I will test my theory of building just an AF on an airfield as soon as my team builds up the S points to do so.

I think the truly best answer to this issue would be to make it similar to ArmA 1 Warfare where simply controlling an airfield allowed for purchase of fixed-wing assets from that airfield. It would also make those locations strategic assets to hold on to for your team.

The.Yield:

You are right that the victims should have a way to fight back, but you can do this against a virtual arty as well, like reducing the enemy's funding by taking cities - although I agree it is less direct and less satisfying. And both sides has the same arty options, so they can shoot back with exactly the same stuff.

I also believe that in real cases the shelled side does rarely have the option to attack the enemy arty, as it is used only when it is in a safe position. I was always bothered with the fact that long range guns are used in the game at distances of 2-3km, which I doubt frequently happens in reality. Imagine this with MLRS.

Maybe some combined system, perhaps a building which is necessary to order strikes... I see a path here to enhance player cooperation, which is usually missing in ad-hoc ArmA online games.

---------- Post added at 02:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 AM ----------

USMCLuke:

Thanks for checking it out :)

I could finally reproduce the late entry -> no menus bug. Had a hard time doing it with one copy of the game. Are you running the beta ArmA2Server.exe or "ArmA2.exe -server"? The first one looks like being unable to process the postprocessing commands, but it is quite hard to predict how it affects the game. I suspect some JIP initialization issue here, trying to figure out whats wrong.

It is definitely a good idea to add the airports. I remember seeing their init script in the official version, strange that they are not in the game (actually, I never entered a hangar yet in Superpowers). Will take a look into it after the arty.

I believe buying units anywhere contributes to the game positively. It is absolutely realistic to ask for additional troops over the radio. In ArmA1 warfare I often found myself in a situation where I was defending something and was begging for my AI reinforcements to arrive on time. With the buy-anywhere extension you can re-arrange your AI while in the process of doing something else, like flying a helicopter, so you can modify your plan more dynamically. I have also used it to direct AI troops into cities, like buying a couple of tanks and sending them in the back of Rambos who were taking cities alone in a row. Practically players are giving their brains to make the AI behave more intelligent on the global map and also relieving the commander. You can also help your mates remotely with it (like buying some Shilkas when the base is being bombed).

Edited by Proton

I'm not arguing that the concept is a good idea. But it's simply bugged and therefore unplayable for us. We've been holding our breath since release (26th for Steam), that someone would do exactly what you've done since we ourselves lack the knowledge required to do so. I've got a whole group of guys chomping at the bit to play this version.

We're using Arma2Server.exe (1.02) via a hosting service.

Is there any chance you could release a version that takes out the "buy units anywhere" that is compatible with this type of dedicated server? At least until you've found the JIP issue and resolved it?

Also, as a side note, any reason why the Avenger HMMWV isn't available? We've always found that it was a little unfair the Russians could deploy Tunguskas all over, yet we didn't even have access to the one AA vehicle the U.S. has in the game.

Edited by USMCLuke

I do see what you are saying, Proton - and I agree. Now that you've brought it to my attention, namely with the MLRS, the ranges are sort of crazy. In an authentic situation, an MLRS could be WELL outside the limits of the map and bring the pain down anywhere in Cherarus.

With that in mind I would fully support MLRS to not even be a purchasable vehicle at all! Combine that with a special building needed to order Arty strike, as you mentioned... Great idea!

But as for Mortars and Howitzers... Mortars clearly have a small enough range to justify "real" implementation with player controllability (with the new system) and AI use (like in Arma 1, when you could build some arty at a camp somewhere, man the guns with AI, then call arty missions with the T menu).

Howitzers (like the 119) have a max range of about 13-14km if I remember correctly... Not sure how that calculates into the Chernarus game world, but I think that sort of max range would justify a player/AI controllable system like mortars.

Let me know what you think.

Some of the supply trucks worked for me, some didn't (I saw 1 message saying I earned $ for a supply run to Gorka, never saw it again, although all 12 of my supply trucks kept moving around).

One work-around for not being able to buy units after JIP is to have a player assume Cmdr and build a building that provide units. This is a sucky work-around, however, as it seems that you can't get the AI to take Cmdr back over. It'll say it is, but the AI squads will still be under your command and you can still build base structures. Also, you have to build something for that team each time someone connects/reconnects to that team.

Also, I don't know if it was intended to be this way, but the supply (S) point for commander do not decrease when something is built, meaning you can build as many of something as you want as long as it costs less than the total S point total.

Also, you lose the ability to unlock vics and your squadmembers stop responding for unknown reasons.

While these are all nice ideas, it's still just super buggy. We're still holding out that someone will just make a Superpowers with the extra vehicles, weapons and fixed-wing assets, and preferably artillery.

Edited by USMCLuke

MG would be willing to come to some sort of an "arrangment" with anyone who gets us the mod we are looking for!

What script do I edit to set vehicle "lock" to "unlocked" by default?

or disable vehicle lock in general?

What script do I edit to set vehicle "lock" to "unlocked" by default?

or disable vehicle lock in general?

as for the script im not sure but i believe he put in the lock unlock feature to detour vehicle theft in game

It's a nice thought. But what happens is after a little bit, all the vehicles you buy come locked and you can't unlock them, nor can you give them orders. Pretty frustrating when you drop 14k on an A-10.

I've found you can unlock vehicles, its just hard and takes some time (I had to unlock an APC a couple times before I could order the crew to disembark).

Overall, I must say this is the closest thing to perfect for a lot of people (almost full weapon availability, vehicle selection, and I love being able to buy units in the field). Sure, there are a couple glitches right now, but its so darn close and there are a ton of good things Proton has added.

With a couple more fixes and additions (artie? air support & transport?) I dare say this would be the perfect Warfare map.

It definitely has potential. There are more bugs on an actual dedicated server (ArmA2Server.exe) than on a local machine though, apparently. I had myself and 5 other MG members as well as other people testing this for about 12 hrs on our dedicated. Unfortunately, aside from the added gear and vics, the features Proton has added, like the locking/unlocking, and buy anywhere option, are the exact things that break or are bugged from the start. And when we had the inability to unlock a vic, it was that way perm. for anyone on the server from that point on (about an hr into that round). We tried swapping the units with other members, discon./recon, everything.

Is there anyway someone could share with the MG guys here exactly how to edit Superpowers exactly as it is, but to just add all the extra weapons and vehicles? We're easily satisfied and don't need all the extra bells and whistles.

Just a quick arty update. Assuming that the MLRS is using the standard M-26 unguided rockets... it should have a max range of 32km.

Not sure how that factors into the game world size, but just thought I mention that before and possible decisions are made on whether or not it should be a magic spawn shell device from off of map or not.

UPDATE: Had a nerd do some quick maths for me, lol. According to him, the game word is something to the tune of 21km across diagonally...

So yes the MLRS shouldn't even really be a spawnable vehicle in any sort of authentic-minded mod. You could have it sitting well outside the map (figuratively) and hit... anywhere inside the map... lol :D

But as for the howitzers and mortars... those need to be real and player controlled (with the new system for aiming) + AI controlled (ala ARMA1's T-menu).

But perhaps not allow MLRS "call-ins" without some sort of "artillery command" building. And make Howitzers and Mortars have low-ish ammo counts and very long reload/resupply times to reduce their potential overpowered-ness in a warfare match.

Thoughts?

I don't know man, if you're using the lack of world size as a reason to keep something outside, then aircraft should be called in from outside the map as well...

At the end warfare is not exactly a realistic game mode, so whichever option ends up better for gameplay is probably best off. As long as it's not too stupidly unrealistic.

Key to artillery balance is probably realistic accuracy (which may have to be modded in) and have a cost to re-arm them so you wouldn't want to just mindlessly spam it.