Sign in to follow this  
50.cal

Aiming difficulties with ironsights and aimpoints

What do you think about aiming with ironsights and aimpoints in Arma 2  

255 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about aiming with ironsights and aimpoints in Arma 2

• No problem it reacts as it should...don't change anything!
    • Not perfect but it's ok.
    • It doesn't feel natural.
    • Forget aimpoints and ironsights I'm using the crossair now.

Yeah, if anything, the zoom in Arma 2 is TOO LOW for realism purposes. Even when zoomed in everything that is somewhat distant looks too far away and too pixelated.

Yeah, if anything, the zoom in Arma 2 is TOO LOW for realism purposes. Even when zoomed in everything that is somewhat distant looks too far away and too pixelated.

Agree.

That's why I think a fix magnification (perhaps 2x mag) would be good.

I just don't like to see the sight being zoomed in and out each time I hold the right mouse button to hold my breath.

Although I can live with that I would more expect to see that kind of feature in an arcade game than in a so called simulation.

Back on the mouse lag (which doesn't come from a computer performance issue) it is definitely not that difficult to aim in reality. Sure there's inertia but you feel the weapon in your hands...it's not the same.

By now you're more steering your weapon than aiming. Well I mean when I want to move my body to the right it moves when I decide to move. I don't put an impulsion and then see my body moves ok?

While some features are really nice and well implemented (like the degraded aiming abilities under fatigue or stress) some other are just to much.

At the end the ballistic is the core of the shooting simulation and it quite well done. I think there's no need to add many more barriers.

Actually the degraded aiming over fatigue is way over-done. The actual effect isn't overdone, but you reach to the point of maximum fatigue after running a pretty damn short distance. The rate at which you get tired while running should be GREATLY reduced.

I use the aimpoint and iron sights at daytime, but the aimpoint blinds me at night using nv goggles.

real aim points has the possibility to lower the brightness.

If you wanna talk about real, you don't try and look through an aimpoint with night vision you use a Night aiming device of some kind.

Such as:

Peq-2%20Infared%20Aiming%20Device.jpg

480000.jpg

Depends on the NV, some can be used with the aimpoint, but the one we have in the game only has one lens at the center of your head, which would make aimpoints (or any sights) very hard to use... Of coures the entire night implementation in the game is totally unrealistic. Most nights would allow you to at least see terrain nearby and see the difference between terrain and the sky, but in-game even with full starlight and moonlight you just don't see much of anything.

IRL it's actually usually easier to walk around without NV on and only use NV to scan more distant areas, while in game NV is necessary to even manage walking around.

And yes, those laser sights need to be made functional! What else do we have them for?...

And yes, those laser sights need to be made functional! What else do we have them for?...

Too look awesome! Why else put them in if they don't work.

I just feel it's not very realistic to be able to zoom without optics.

About the lag if it's to simulate the weapons weight then it's a bit too much. I would expect to have that amount of lag with a saw but not with standard assault rifles.

I can tell you that I never had that kind of lag with my sig 550 during my duty...

Zooming without optics is exactly what happens in CoD etc and most other games, you magically zoom when you put on ironsights. There is no difference with the current sytem.

I'd prefer if there was no zoom unless you hold right mouse (at the moment there is a slight fov decrease - and then only because a screen isn't as effective as a human eye.

Zooming without optics is exactly what happens in CoD etc and most other games, you magically zoom when you put on ironsights. There is no difference with the current sytem.

I'd prefer if there was no zoom unless you hold right mouse (at the moment there is a slight fov decrease - and then only because a screen isn't as effective as a human eye.

You fail to grasp how FOV works in ArmA. Most of the time you are looking at the world at less than 1.0x magnification. This is to give you a wider field of view at a sacrifice for normal vision. When you "zoom in" in ArmA you are increasing your magnification to 1.0x from a magnification less than 1.0x. There's nothing magic or cheating about it at all.

You fail to grasp how FOV works in ArmA. Most of the time you are looking at the world at less than 1.0x magnification. This is to give you a wider field of view at a sacrifice for normal vision. When you "zoom in" in ArmA you are increasing your magnification to 1.0x from a magnification less than 1.0x. There's nothing magic or cheating about it at all.

It's more like that you're looking at the world at much much less than 1X magnification, and when you zoom in you still look at the world at closer to 1X but still less.

Actually, the exact "zoom" multiplier would depend on your monitor size and distance from the monitor, not just the in-game FOV. However due to the size of a pixel, if you have a standard HD/full-HD monitor (and not some TH2G 5000X1000 or whatever), then when zoomed you still have a hard time to see a person standing straight in an open airfield at 300m. IRL if you're standing straight I could see you for MUCH further than that, so if anything, the current zoom is unrealistically TOO LOW. At the end though it's a balance between FOV and visibility range - the more FOV you have the less visibility range you have due to pixel size (and possibly monitor size) and vice-versa.

There's a lame workaround, though - in your player.arma2profile you can set "fovTop=..." and "fovLeft=..." to whatever number you want, giving you as much zoom as you want at the cost of FOV as well as the other way around. Certain things bug with it but it's definitely playable, especially if you're playing a rifleman where "toggle zoom in" and "toggle zoom out" function properly. You will have problems seeing watch and compass though. This has no effect whatsoever on anything with pre-defined FOV such as scopes and some vehicle gunner/commander views.

Good info galzohar. I was speaking in "conceptual, close enough" mode.

Yeah, I know, it as just making it look like the current situation is not as bad as it really is ;)

I think we're both a bit above the level of "OMG wuT is zoom? Reel EYEZ Don't have zume."

The only time I really use the cross hairs is when I'm prone in tall grass and in 3rd person, allows me to see over it. :p

Otherwise I'm using iron sights.

On servers with crosshairs I rarely use non-magnifying options. There's no real point. However I usually avoid such servers whenever I can help it.

After playing for a while with 0.6X of default FOV (5/3 X zoom) I have to say I have much better abilities to shoot stuff (and more importantly, see stuff) at reasonable distances, and I no longer HAVE to have an ACOG. However, sometimes moving around with a non-ironsight weapon can be pretty annoying as the "toggle zoom out" is bugged and not working. Most of the time though 0.6X of the original "normal zoom" FOV is enough, and is definitely a better balance between visibility and FOV than the default "normal zoom" FOV.

That is, fovLeft=0.45 and fovTop=0.72 (instead of 0.75 and 1.2).

I wish they'd enforce minimum FOV on everyone though so that it will use your monitor settings to determine what FOV you need to be able to spot a target at X meters, as right now people can set their FOV as low as they want. Then again, the lower you set your FOV, the harder it is to walk around or to see things that aren't directly in front of you, so I guess this can't really be abused much as long as you can only change 1 defualt FOV settings and the others are based on it (which is what we have now unless there are more "tricks" I'm unaware of).

yeah dont confuse mouse lagg with computer not being able to handle everyting on screen. Unfortunately i have a mid range system 512mb graphics card and have to upgrade system. Because people with nividia 295x2 cards and latest processors dont seem to be having these problems. Its a hard out game and needs newe hardware to run it remember the 8800series was late 2006 we are in 2009 now. Turn all graphics on low EVERYTHING and just put yourself in the editor by yourself , for test and youll see a MASSIVE increase in mouse movement performance.

turn anti aliasing to low and you will get no mouse lag. i had the same problem

I'd prefer if there was no zoom unless you hold right mouse .

After you bring up your ironsights, you can double tap " - " on your numberpad (by default) and it will keep your sights zoomed out and locked there until you hold the right mouse button.. Helpful for CQC

This can be fixed easy, But for some reason bis make the aimpoint dot abt 10 times too big. It just dont feel real..

Hi Everyone!

I have a serious concern about the ironsight. I don't know if this is the right topic here, since I am not able to make any contributions, due to a lack of any weaponry experience. It might be, that the following is a bug, that is already known (I couldn't find it in the forums)...

But nevertheless, the title says "Aiming difficulties with ironsights and aimpoints" so I will report my difficulties:

When I go prone or stand, the sight is relatively steady. But when i crouch, aiming is inacurate. Its hard to explain. Its not, that the bullet flys in a diffent direction, the gun is just a little twisted.

Just see these pictures:

this is the G36 C standing. Notice, that both rings are concentrical and they stay like that. Everything is fine here.

846 kb !!!

this is the G36 C crouching. This time, the rifle is constantly shifting. I have marked the bullet-hole in red.

726 kb !!!

The result is, that aiming is nearly impossible, when crouching but fine when standing. I have talked to a friend who has the same problem, but didnt notice, so i think it's a general problem. I have the latest official Patch (1.03.58627).

I highly doubt, that aiming, while standing is more acurate than aiming while crouching.

Edited by W0lle
Images > 100 kb

The issue with crouching is well-known, hopefully will get fixed someday...

Yes i also have problem in Aiming, the accuracy is really strange configured. It doesn't feel realistic.

It is easy to fix what you are asking though it would be very nice if BIS fix it them selves in a patch else a single file can do it.

edit: Its dispersion i wanted to say

Edited by bravo 6

Actually the degraded aiming over fatigue is way over-done. The actual effect isn't overdone, but you reach to the point of maximum fatigue after running a pretty damn short distance. The rate at which you get tired while running should be GREATLY reduced.

+1

I shouldn't be too tired to hold a gun up after jogging a short distance.

Apart from obvious bugs, I'm very comfortable with the ironsights/scopes...