Sign in to follow this  
Squigibo

How Stupid is your squad? Keep it Fun

Since its offtopic i'll just say... I think you're wrong.

Ontopic: I had an SU-35 trying to shoot me down while I was in a Mi-17. It had no missiles left so it was trying to use its guns. Flew straight into me.

Mission accomplished :)

Yea a bit off topic but I read some of the posts in the beginning that were trying to say how the AI isn't "stupid" and just made me think of what I wrote.

Tell me, when one of Razor team says "GO! I'LL COVER!" or "GO!" have you ever seen another team member running to a position of cover autonomously? I've not. My team repeat that a lot but never do it.

Maybe try plopping down a squad in the editor with you as the leader, then in game set them to combat mode (or is it danger? the one between stealth and aware) and then start moving. They always move in a reasonable fashion for me. They take a long time doing it, but well - that's the combat mode where they expect to encounter the enemy at any time, so I guess I can't blame them for being very cautious.

But this is 100% reproducible for me. If they're in "Stay alert" mode, they will sometimes seem to slip into combat mode if they detect the enemy. It seems reasonably reliable, but I've not really paid that much attention to it so I can't be sure.

Thats why I don't believe Bounding Overwatch exists in AI. I think it would actually be difficult to program, tbh... make one unit look in the direction of where your team are running to, scan the rooftops and doors, then once they are in cover they assume the overwatch role while you run.... not easy to implement IMHO.

It does happen, but I'm not sure how well it interacts with human players. I think they mostly bound with themselves, and the player can move along at their own pace.

Also it's worth remembering that the AI instantly shares knowledge of enemies within the group. So long as *someone* in the group is looking in the direction of the enemy, that direction is covered. So it's not quite so necessary for those providing overwatch to be watching the exact right spot. Granted this is taking advantage of the way the AI works rather than trying to exactly mimic real-life behaviour, but from a game perspective it makes sense.

You hardcore fan boys need to calm down and realize when there is a problem and that it needs to be fixed instead of lying to yourselves and accepting what you got.

We've spent years now supporting BI and it's not much to expect that as the years have gone by that they have some what AT LEAST improved aspects of their games like AI and performance.

Time and money at this point should not be an issue. We have given them both over the years. It's just very disappointing and frustrating that we get the same product over and over again with slight improvement.

I still love the game and the company but that does not stop me from opening my eyes and realizing what is going on.

Quite honestly I'd hardly consider myself a BIS fanboy by any means, but I have to say I am pretty impressed by the AI more often than not. I've seen them bounding and execute some pretty slick maneuvers. I've also seen them do some pretty stupid things, just like any other games AI. What I am impressed by is the lack of 500m headshots on full auto, they take cover, have regular reaction times, try to flank, and suppress. More than I can so for ArmA 1 and OFP (which I also enjoyed) so I'll take the ArmA 2 AI any day over ArmA 1 or OFP. Until I start to see 100% realistic AI in any game I can't really complain about this.

Trying not to be to far off topic but arma 2 ai is probably the best I've seen so far, that said, I don't think I've ever actually seen ai in a game that I would consider "exceptional"

here's one ... In a mission with me and the squad sneaking through some grass a chopper lands. A full group runs out of the chopper, my ai opens fire at which stage the enemy squad board the chopper again and fly away.... Must have scared them away.

Quite honestly I'd hardly consider myself a BIS fanboy by any means, but I have to say I am pretty impressed by the AI more often than not. I've seen them bounding and execute some pretty slick maneuvers. I've also seen them do some pretty stupid things, just like any other games AI. What I am impressed by is the lack of 500m headshots on full auto, they take cover, have regular reaction times, try to flank, and suppress. More than I can so for ArmA 1 and OFP (which I also enjoyed) so I'll take the ArmA 2 AI any day over ArmA 1 or OFP. Until I start to see 100% realistic AI in any game I can't really complain about this.

100% realistic AI is not possible in my opinion. I mean you can try to get as close as possible but they will never really react like a human. Most people evidentially are not aware what undertaking this is in terms of programming. During bug fixes it can happpen that you change 1 parameter and it effects other things in a negative way and you screw up more than you fix. Arma II is not perfect we all know that. In one thread I was reading about COD series of being flawless without bugs and in my opinion you can't even compare both games. But anyway it is not perfect and in my opinion it will never be. But ArmA II will be fixed by patches it just takes some time. The only thing I can complain about is that not withstanding 8 years have past AI is still struggling when driving vehicles and second that the campaign is full of bugs.

Regards

nettrucker

I'm not saying I expect them to make the perfect AI. I know that may never be possible. What I'm saying is at least revamp the AI so that you are not importing AI bugs that have occurred since the beginning. It's rather strange that BI has this pattern with these military sims. But I do understand also that it is a big game in scale and a lot of work is involved.

I just think it's getting old to have these same old bugs.

I think the only other option of recourse is to make the game linear and have the AI purely scripted. As I said before, I don't think I've ever seen exceptional AI in a game because every time someone tries to pull it off you end up with AI doing the stupidest things, the only ones that people say "this game has excellent AI" is in the games with scripted AI.

I think we need to start a fund, all the greatest scientists of the world need to start working on AI until they perfect the AI so much that it starts solving all the worlds problems, like Cancer, famine, humans.... uh oh.