Sign in to follow this  
Squigibo

How Stupid is your squad? Keep it Fun

If I board the chopper at the beginning of Razor Two, then order my squad to board it one of them invariably runs directly into the tail rotor and happily continues to receive a face full of rotor blades until ordered otherwise.

ACE2 will certainly throw a monkey wrench into this brilliant AI tactic...

Edited by IronPants

I just had to share this video. It's not mine, but it's hilarious.

Abs

That's excellent. The best I've had is where my driver actually went out of his way to run down several civilians.

Still, one of my favourite AI moments in a game is Far Cry. Shoot a guy in the leg and he says "what was that?" then after a short while says "probably just my imagination"

I made a shooting range mission to practice using the ingame weapons as many people do. I added some friendly soldiers for more ambiance, and put out a load of empty vehicles to shoot including a few empty chernarussian ones (was under the impression that "empty" vehicles did not belong to a "side").

Blew up one of said empty vehicles and went to talk to one of the AI soldiers, who promptly told me to "piss off" before shooting me in the face.

Nice!

I made a shooting range mission to practice using the ingame weapons as many people do. I added some friendly soldiers for more ambiance, and put out a load of empty vehicles to shoot including a few empty chernarussian ones (was under the impression that "empty" vehicles did not belong to a "side").

Blew up one of said empty vehicles and went to talk to one of the AI soldiers, who promptly told me to "piss off" before shooting me in the face.

Nice!

hahah, now thats a gem :bounce3:

ive had ai run in circles right infront of the enemy

on a whole the ai is smart compared to most games. meaning its capable of A LOT more and 2 games are never alike. but it fails miserably at individual tasks. Like I notice when driving, ai doesnt see civilian cars on the road. Until it hits it and stops, then it will reverse, forget about the car and run right into it again. Im also impressed by pathfinding, sometimes it finds the quickest route and will cut corners across a field. others time it just runs in circles

AI dynamically using cover, leaning, bounding overwatch movement?

Yeah, let's just concentrate on their driving skill, you're right, that's all I ask my AI, driving my car

Is that so??

Show me a video of this "cover, leaning, bounding overwatch" and other smart AI in action. Upload it to Youtube like I did with the bugs I found - I want to see this.

I've seen AI ducking behind sandbags while being shot to bits, they won't return fire, I've seen them sit in jeeps getting shot to pieces....

No no, I refuse to accept the AI is anything but thick as mince - prove me wrong. Let's see some videos, I'm not too proud to apologise if I'm wrong :D - and it has to include the cover and bounding overwatch you said it did - I don't want an occasional peek round a corner, let's see suppression, movement...

I can wait til you get FRAPS.... ;)

Edit: I must admit that in the main AI in wargames is dire. Mind you, some notable exceptions: Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter, although a silly wee arcade game, did manage to squelch the major bugs and was playable, so squad AI is definitely do-able.

SWAT 3 was IMHO the best squad AI, even though it was completely enclosed surroundings with not much leeway - I bet every stairwell had a hint to the AI to "look up, here" or "look down, here", or look round this door etc etc

But for sheer AI bugginess, Arma2 is hard to beat!

Is it sick for me to enjoy finding bugs :)

Edited by Zombie_Mod

No no, I refuse to accept the AI is anything but thick as mince - prove me wrong. Let's see some videos, I'm not too proud to apologise if I'm wrong :D - and it has to include the cover and bounding overwatch you said it did - I don't want an occasional peek round a corner, let's see suppression, movement...

I made 1 youtube search

One

"arma2 AI leaning"

First result found :

I know you'll dismiss what you see as only "occasionnal use of cover" and only concentrate on any mistake you can spot in this video, purposefully ignoring all the work done on AI squad movement, use of cover and fire from concealement.

You said it yourself, all you're trying to do is find A2 bugs. Happy trolling, sir.

Regarding the AI being so great at using cover, have a look at that:

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/show/2556

They just love to leave any cover and suicidaly storm over open ground.

lol that was good...

I love telling each of my squadies every last detail, even to breath.

Typical dialog with me and my squad.

All Hold Fire

Roger

All Stealth

Roger

4 move to that tree

Oscar Mike

2 Move to that tree.

Roger

4 move to that tree "not the one you thought I told you to move to you moron"

Roger

2 Get down (why you came out of stealth I dunno.)

4 - Waiting

4 Starts shooting

2 Starts shooting

3 Runs right at AI, turns around and runs back and lays behind a little rock.

4 I'm Hit

2 Is down

3 Heal that sniper

Roger

3 runs backwards up the hill.

3 Move to that tree (near sniper)

Roger

3 Is Down!

2 Runs at enemy for no apparent reason

Oh no, 2 is down.

I give up.

Edited by Squigibo

I made 1 youtube search

One

"arma2 AI leaning"

First result found :

I know you'll dismiss what you see as only "occasionnal use of cover" and only concentrate on any mistake you can spot in this video, purposefully ignoring all the work done on AI squad movement, use of cover and fire from concealement.

You said it yourself, all you're trying to do is find A2 bugs. Happy trolling, sir.

Trolling?

Ah, I see. I complain about the massive amount of bugs in the game and take people to task over what I believe to be untrue, and that makes me a troll does it?

I was not the one making the exorbitant claims of bounding overwatch, cover and leaning. Yup, in your video, the AI makes it to the corner of a wall, peeks round... and faces away from where the bullets are being fired. I am impressed.

As I say, you can produce this video showing me the advanced AI anytime you like. I have plenty videos of my own showing the AI to be thick as treacle, and I do hope people who are thinking of buying Arma2 watch them so they know what they are getting.

And may I add, I don't just snipe - every bug I find I report on dev-heaven. I would like to get my money's worth, even though I fear I will be middle-aged by the time the major defects are sorted. If ever.

Yup, in your video, the AI makes it to the corner of a wall, peeks round... and faces away from where the bullets are being fired. I am impressed.

Exactly like I told :D You could, if you really would like to do it, see AI moving while others are covering, etc... (ie, bounding overwatch, not a perfect example, omg sue me), see it stay behind cover shooting grenade launcher, but no, you prefered taking 1 point, and pointing the flaw out of it. What did I say in the post before, remind me? :rolleyes:

Now, point me to where I said the AI had no flaw? Did I ever say it was perfect?

No

Did I imply that because you point out AI bugs, you're a troll? No.

Plz re-read. You're not trolling when pointing out bugs. You're trolling when refusing anything else than bugs in this game and not acknowledging any work done

Exactly like I told :D You could, if you really would like to do it, see AI moving while others are covering, etc... (ie, bounding overwatch, not a perfect example, omg sue me), see it stay behind cover shooting grenade launcher, but no, you prefered taking 1 point, and pointing the flaw out of it. What did I say in the post before, remind me? :rolleyes:

Now, point me to where I said the AI had no flaw? Did I ever say it was perfect?

No

Did I imply that because you point out AI bugs, you're a troll? No.

Plz re-read. You're not trolling when pointing out bugs. You're trolling when refusing anything else than bugs in this game and not acknowledging any work done

That wasn't bounding overwatch! That was simply an AI soldier crouching at at a random fence (probably the first cover the AI came to) and leaning round it, facing in a direction where the team was NOT moving to.

Tell me, when one of Razor team says "GO! I'LL COVER!" or "GO!" have you ever seen another team member running to a position of cover autonomously? I've not. My team repeat that a lot but never do it.

Thats why I don't believe Bounding Overwatch exists in AI. I think it would actually be difficult to program, tbh... make one unit look in the direction of where your team are running to, scan the rooftops and doors, then once they are in cover they assume the overwatch role while you run.... not easy to implement IMHO.

But, like I said, I await the video that proves me wrong...

Edit: you must be thinking I'm here to slate BIS or something? I'm not, even though I must admit I'm less than thrilled by their "methods" of releasing bugged product...

Edited by Zombie_Mod

lol that was good...

I love telling each of my squadies every last detail, even to breath.

Typical dialog with me and my squad.

All Hold Fire

Roger

All Stealth

Roger

4 move to that tree

Oscar Mike

2 Move to that tree.

Roger

4 move to that tree "not the one you thought I told you to move to you moron"

Roger

2 Get down (why you came out of stealth I dunno.)

4 - Waiting

4 Starts shooting

2 Starts shooting

3 Runs right at AI, turns around and runs back and lays behind a little rock.

4 I'm Hit

2 Is down

3 Heal that sniper

Roger

3 runs backwards up the hill.

3 Move to that tree (near sniper)

Roger

3 Is Down!

2 Runs at enemy for no apparent reason

Oh no, 2 is down.

I give up.

QFT!

Hahahaha Its even funnier when you add their terrible speech patterns into the mix.

Set the AI to "Combat" Mode and they will use bounding overwatch. I was just making a mission using it. They actually seem to do it a bit too much to the point where it takes about an hour to cross a town but I still like it better than OFP AI.

Nonono, it's completely random and only luck that each time 1 of the squaddies stops, another one begins to move, etc... I tell thee, it's only chance!

[/sarcasm]

Tell me, when one of Razor team says "GO! I'LL COVER!" or "GO!" have you ever seen another team member running to a position of cover autonomously? I've not. My team repeat that a lot but never do it.

I see my squadies cover eachother a lot, but not usually in campaign.

I was playing warfare on KH, and sent my 6 guys to move to Devils Castle.. which as about 2 miles away (i had to walk because enemy had tanks all over the place :() And whever we passed through woods, 2-3 AI would stop behind a pinetree (or lay down) while the rest ran 10-15 meters forwards, then theyd move to cover/lay down and cover the other guys. that kept going till the end of the game, i didnt lose a single one of those 6 guys, and killed 5-6 russian guys too (withought my help, as i had accidentally traded my rifle for an M1136 at the armory.. should of been paying attention :()

And yes.. they did say "Go, Ill cover!" etc. when they stoped to cover eachother

This is exactly what I am observing.

@ all the people who are complaining about their AI being stupid. Try letting an AI unit command your squad instead, you'll see how well AI can work when properly led. AI leaders can better communicate with their squad members, thus AI commanded squads can often out-perform player commanded ones. It's not impossible however to get this kind of performance as a player (you just have to know which orders to give and when, as well as know which tactics the AI excel at), and player leaders always have the advantage of being more tactically aware than any AI.

yes I believe you are right, in fact we should actually not even play this game because the AI are the only ones that know how to order other AI around.

DUDE! you dont get it. I dont want to have an AI commander, I WANT MY SQUAD TO DO WHAT I TELL THEM TO DO. .......LOL let the AI squad lead......... lol epic fail bro EPIC.

my chopper pilot decided to exit the loaded vehicle hundreds of feet in the air over a dense forest.

Bahahahhahahaah.

I can just picture everyone going "Did he jump out? I think he just jumped out!"

Edited by Uranium-235

yes I believe you are right, in fact we should actually not even play this game because the AI are the only ones that know how to order other AI around.

DUDE! you dont get it. I dont want to have an AI commander, I WANT MY SQUAD TO DO WHAT I TELL THEM TO DO. .......LOL let the AI squad lead......... lol epic fail bro EPIC.

Thats probably the most stupid post ive seen in a long time... I think all he is trying to say is a lot of the problems people are having is becuase they arnt commanding their squad correctly. I guess thats to complicated for you to understand.. Not sure what i expected from someone who used the terms "epic fail bro EPIC"...

I got in a jeep and ordered the driver to continue down the straight road ahead. So he turned left and ran into a tree. Backed up. Ran into it again.

Last night I was playing Warefare v9 and set up my light vehicle factory, as I ordered a ton of HMMWV's for my squads they started to spawn and then head for the direction their squad leader wanted them to, well they all defaulted to the same direction where a building was and they all just sat facing the wall of the building and not moving. Like how stupid can you be? There's a building...... GO AROUND IT!

Bahahahhahahaah.

I can just picture everyone going "Did he jump out? I think he just jumped out!"

hilarious... lmao hahaha NO SERIOUSLY!!! I THINK HE JUST JUMPED OUT!!! lol :D

You hardcore fan boys need to calm down and realize when there is a problem and that it needs to be fixed instead of lying to yourselves and accepting what you got.

We've spent years now supporting BI and it's not much to expect that as the years have gone by that they have some what AT LEAST improved aspects of their games like AI and performance.

Time and money at this point should not be an issue. We have given them both over the years. It's just very disappointing and frustrating that we get the same product over and over again with slight improvement.

I still love the game and the company but that does not stop me from opening my eyes and realizing what is going on.

You hardcore fan boys need to calm down and realize when there is a problem and that it needs to be fixed instead of lying to yourselves and accepting what you got.

We've spent years now supporting BI and it's not much to expect that as the years have gone by that they have some what AT LEAST improved aspects of their games like AI and performance.

Time and money at this point should not be an issue. We have given them both over the years. It's just very disappointing and frustrating that we get the same product over and over again with slight improvement.

I still love the game and the company but that does not stop me from opening my eyes and realizing what is going on.

Since its offtopic i'll just say... I think you're wrong.

Ontopic: I had an SU-35 trying to shoot me down while I was in a Mi-17. It had no missiles left so it was trying to use its guns. Flew straight into me.