Sign in to follow this  
Squigibo

How Stupid is your squad? Keep it Fun

I got in a jeep and ordered the driver to continue down the straight road ahead. So he turned left and ran into a tree. Backed up. Ran into it again.

Speeding through a village, going downhill at a pretty high speed, we ran straight into the back of a parked civilian vehicle. Having recovered from that I ordered the driver to continue, and 100 meters onwards he ran over an old granny(Sorry!). The next few kilometers went fine, but not for long: We were again going downhill on a road with pretty poor visibility, and my drivers decided to cut into the turn a bit. I bet they're still scraping us off that civvy truck...

Yes, AI was doing the driving :)

If you're going to keep this thread then I suggest you start a "How smart is your squad?" thread as well, it's not fair to dwell just on some of the bad aspects of the AI (especially when there are many good ones).

really this games AI is sub par in this day and age. However to be fair there are a lot of variables. They are dumb as though and do not act like real soldiers. they need a LOT of baby sitting which detracts from the game play.

If you're going to keep this thread then I suggest you start a "How smart is your squad?" thread as well, it's not fair to dwell just on some of the bad aspects of the AI (especially when there are many good ones).

can't think of anything.

Seriously, I set up a little single player mission and put a MG Nest on the edge of town. I jumped in with my squad and we go down through the woods. The squadies yell out, "Static Defense to our Front." I get everybody prone, tell everybody to hold fire. I tell the sharpshooter to crawl down and shoot the MG Nest. "Roger"... he get's up and runs down there, well within sniper range, you hear the MG Nest open up. "F$@K! Four is down. Everybody is still under do not fire orders. #2 turns into Rambo, jumps up, the X comes off as he decides to take on the soviet army, and without orders, runs down to get mowed over. The medic stands up. Just stands up. and proceeds to be pumped full of lead. So I crawl down and pick up the sniper rifle. I open fire, then 2 others just start firing. I'm yelling at them to stop it, but they say "Roger" and keep on firing. Whole squad get's mowed down just taking out a MG nest. They just do whatever they want.

Edited by Squigibo

.....dwell just on some of the bad aspects of the AI (especially when there are many good ones).

good than write some exampels?

btk

first aid modul and every think that belongs to it was link and on.

testing a mission in the editor got hit by enemy fire, i shouted for help my squad was busy wih enemy after they finished them they moved to me. The medic knelt down watch me a sec, he turned away and the whole unit was running away in the sunset i watch that and died.thx ai buddy´s I was aiding them and they spit on me, I will never play medic for them again.

its hard to get loyal ai buddy´s

can't think of anything.

AI dynamically using cover, leaning, bounding overwatch movement?

Yeah, let's just concentrate on their driving skill, you're right, that's all I ask my AI, driving my car

I was making a 'living city' for fun. You know.. pedestrian crowds walking around. Others where 'dismissed' in the middle of a park enjoying the spring morning, a bus was making rounds in the city stopping in every bus stop, a police car patrolling, a plane was flying over the airports, some "women" waiting on the side of the road, fishing boats in the port etc.

So I was just chillin with my rocker friends when WHAM a bus runs over an old lady!

The driver jumps out in horror, runs in front of the bus, examines the body and walks around for a bit, possibly trying to weigh his options. Then he jumps in the bus again to drive off but he hits another woman and freaks out. Oh no! A double hit n run??? With witnesses? Some civilians could stand the horror and did the 'crouch in fear' thing for added drama.

He calmly walks out of the bus again and lies prone just as a police car arrives on the scene. The stopped bus was of course blocking the road and that made the policemen crash too and disembark... I mean they were about to arrest the felon.

I was just standing there watching this drama unfold... it was weird!

I was in town and ordered an Lav 25 from the base to move to my location,after a while I noticed it didn't move so I suspected he was stuck,I started to run towards him(I didn't had any vehicle around me and he was stucked at 1 km from me).After some running I pull up my binocs and saw that he was indeed stucked in the damn railway tracks,started running again towards him and exactly when I'm 10 m away from him,he "unstucked" and started speeding towards the location where earlier I gave him the move order.

In a convoy with two humvees and a truck I started to drive and the humvee behind me ran into a tree(by now I think everyone around here has these stories:moto:).He backed up,the truck also backed up,the humvee got on the road but the truck hit the same friggin tree.Anyway we got on the road an for awhile everything was fine,yet the expected happened again only this time they crashed a few civilians cars in a village,the truck was the best he ran into three of them,AI driving+AI module=pure entertainment.You know I think at the end of this conflict about 99% of the vehicles will be crashed or broken and not by combat.

Me flying with 2 Cobras as backup,they destroyed a lot of armor and I was very happy(not like those lazy Hinds which they don't engage targets),we were flying towards the base when I hear a Boom behind my back,when I look my two Cobras crashed into eachother.:confused:

AI dynamically using cover, leaning, bounding overwatch movement?

Yeah, let's just concentrate on their driving skill, you're right, that's all I ask my AI, driving my car

Yup. I've had 4 of my squad execute some flawless urban combat and then when the enemy starting attacking from the tree lines the AI took cover behind buildings and fences. The moved dynamically from cover positions and the machine gunner laid down suppressive fire. AI teammates even watched the flanks.

I think the key to much of this AI complaining has something to do with the fact that people don't know how to order the AI around. I could see people having the AI set to Danger and can't understand why it takes so long to follow or load vehicles.

Yup. I've had 4 of my squad execute some flawless urban combat and then when the enemy starting attacking from the tree lines the AI took cover behind buildings and fences. The moved dynamically from cover positions and the machine gunner laid down suppressive fire. AI teammates even watched the flanks.

I think the key to much of this AI complaining has something to do with the fact that people don't know how to order the AI around. I could see people having the AI set to Danger and can't understand why it takes so long to follow or load vehicles.

It's "iffy" sometimes they move an act correctly, other times they do really stupid stuff. When I know we are going to engage the enemy, I put them on danger. They will hide behind a bush, when there is a perfectly well defensible building just to their left. I know they won't go into buildings no matter how hard you try.

I was playing a domination with AI turned on. I decided to take two medics with me just to heal me or heal whomever needed it. I thought this was fairly smart. So off we go and I park the dynamic Duo behind some rocks and tell them to stay put. I go down to start working on the town. Zippp. I take one in the legs. So I order Tweedle Dum to come heal me. He comes to me and stands there looking at me. "Hey, stupid, down here, yes I'm down here with all this blood... Heal me." Duhh.... (saliva running out of his mouth.) "OK I think you're bugged." So I order Tweedle Dee down to do the same. Here he comes... good dog. He stands next to his buddy, and both of them are just standing there looking at me as I bleed out.

...I think the key to much of this AI complaining has something to do with the fact that people don't know how to order the AI around. I could see people having the AI set to Danger and can't understand why it takes so long to follow or load vehicles.

I see you have learned your lesson thats good :D

This is exactly what I am observing.

@ all the people who are complaining about their AI being stupid. Try letting an AI unit command your squad instead, you'll see how well AI can work when properly led. AI leaders can better communicate with their squad members, thus AI commanded squads can often out-perform player commanded ones. It's not impossible however to get this kind of performance as a player (you just have to know which orders to give and when, as well as know which tactics the AI excel at), and player leaders always have the advantage of being more tactically aware than any AI.

The big difference w/ OFP/ArmA now is that the "Danger" mode is to be used only under certain ennemy presence and engagement. Even closing the distance to ennemy shouldn't be done in "Danger" mode

If you keep your group in permanent "Danger" mode, you're going to wait for a fecking long time for the simplest things to be done

But most of the complaint here only come from driving issue.

In fact, the 2 issues we can get from this thread is : AI has driving issues, and the healing module can be perfected. Which clearly depicts "the worst AI ever". /sarcasm.

Put the hyperboles aside, guys, it won't help the problems at hand

that said, OP idea was fun :) Mine is about a pilot trying to take off perpendicular to the runway straight into a forest nearby

This is exactly what I am observing.

@ all the people who are complaining about their AI being stupid. Try letting an AI unit command your squad instead, you'll see how well AI can work when properly led. AI leaders can better communicate with their squad members, thus AI commanded squads can often out-perform player commanded ones. It's not impossible however to get this kind of performance as a player (you just have to know which orders to give and when, as well as know which tactics the AI excel at), and player leaders always have the advantage of being more tactically aware than any AI.

I just want healed sometimes. :(

I was running to an extraction point in a mission when one of my guys got shot and called for medic. I one of my squad to go heal him and he did while I shot two guys that were shooting at him as he patched the other guy up and they ran back to me. It was great. Another time I was leaning around a corner picking off some enemies when my entire squad decided that it would be a good idea to just run around the other corner which was covered by a machine gun and they all got wiped out at once... It's hit and miss but overall I'm happy with my AI guys as long as I keep and eye on them and tell them what to do.

I just want healed sometimes.

Healing is induced by the wounded, not the medic (use action menu). Now (another example of superior AI leaders), if you were in an AI commanded squad you could report being injured (5-4) and the leader will send a medic (if there is one in your squad and he's not busy) to your position (as well as order you to heal at him).

I'm not pissed with the game,I made another thread what I like and don't in the new AI.I know about the infantry AI which is miles away better than the Arma 1,but indeed the driving aspect it's very broken right now.Also one thing that bothers me especially is russian MI-24s AI which in my game it engages armor very rare.

Even from the OFP times I knew that is very hard to make a good AI especially in this kind of game,many people don't understand that it's not a corridor shooter where you're making 2-3 scripts for the AI to run to that crate/wall or fire when he sees you.Anyway if you want terrible AI try that old game Soldner,Ofp AIs were einsteins compared to that thing.

Now I'm sure BI is aware about the AI problems and will fix in the future.

So basically like the thread says,I'm just sharing my funny ones.

AI helicopter is so smart.

First time: Crashing into a tree

2nd time: trying to land and flip over. GG

can't think of anything.

Seriously, I set up a little single player mission and put a MG Nest on the edge of town. I jumped in with my squad and we go down through the woods. The squadies yell out, "Static Defense to our Front." I get everybody prone, tell everybody to hold fire. I tell the sharpshooter to crawl down and shoot the MG Nest. "Roger"... he get's up and runs down there, well within sniper range, you hear the MG Nest open up. "F$@K! Four is down. Everybody is still under do not fire orders. #2 turns into Rambo, jumps up, the X comes off as he decides to take on the soviet army, and without orders, runs down to get mowed over. The medic stands up. Just stands up. and proceeds to be pumped full of lead. So I crawl down and pick up the sniper rifle. I open fire, then 2 others just start firing. I'm yelling at them to stop it, but they say "Roger" and keep on firing. Whole squad get's mowed down just taking out a MG nest. They just do whatever they want.

you attack a mg nest from the front and say your AI is stupid?

I was making a 'living city' for fun. You know.. pedestrian crowds walking around. Others where 'dismissed' in the middle of a park enjoying the spring morning, a bus was making rounds in the city stopping in every bus stop, a police car patrolling, a plane was flying over the airports, some "women" waiting on the side of the road, fishing boats in the port etc.

So I was just chillin with my rocker friends when WHAM a bus runs over an old lady!

The driver jumps out in horror, runs in front of the bus, examines the body and walks around for a bit, possibly trying to weigh his options. Then he jumps in the bus again to drive off but he hits another woman and freaks out. Oh no! A double hit n run??? With witnesses? Some civilians could stand the horror and did the 'crouch in fear' thing for added drama.

He calmly walks out of the bus again and lies prone just as a police car arrives on the scene. The stopped bus was of course blocking the road and that made the policemen crash too and disembark... I mean they were about to arrest the felon.

I was just standing there watching this drama unfold... it was weird!

hahaha, i was laughing so much :) thanks for the story.

In fact, thinking about it, you're all wrong, the AI vehicle driving simulation in ArmA2 is perfect. My example :

Perhaps it happened to you guys too : campaign, Manhattan, I'm just out of discussion with this priest member of resistance hiding weapons in I-don't-remember-which-town, during MP campaign played with a friend.

We went there with our trusted humvee that we parked on the road right in front of the church. As we are going aboard again to continue on our missions, here comes full speed a civilian car, BLAM, into the humvee, from the road above, nearly squishing my friend between our humvee and the car.

Out of it comes the girl we saved during 1st mission, she begins to talk, and talk and talk and talk endlessly. I hear my friends on TS "she's fucking drunk or what?"

The discussion ends

"Well, see you later Coops"

"Errr, ..; yes,later... oO"

Back in her car she goes, she goes back a bit to disengage her vehicle from our humvee :p, BLAM right into the wall behind (one less light in the back, one!), then full speed ahead, right on me! I manage miraculously to avoid her (OLE!), she harms one of our squad member, and away she is, blazing across the village at 100+ kph

This AI driving is perfect, I tell thee! Even depicting women in cars to perfection!

Edited by whisper

can't think of anything.

LOL. Don't own Arma2 (and seems that i won't in a long while), but these are classics! Had my share of those in OFP and ArmA.

One has beautifully planned system and then, like lighting strikes in middle of bright day, it just starts to rumble because AI doesnt' work the way one planned it to work. Oh that sweet "OMG!"-feeling when one isn't able to do anything but to see his plan to dissolve. :D

Sometimes it leaves dirty feeling, sometimes it just makes me laugh.

Back in OFP days i did fallback from superior enemy after ambush. I ran like madman for 100 meters to get deeper into forest and started to wait my men... Terrible gunfire blazed still as my squad kept engaging enemies in front of them. It took about minute for them to get to me while they slowly pulled back under heavy fire. Two got killed. My original idea was to open fire for 10 seconds and disappear into forest like ghosts... Maybe AI thought that i ment Zombies instead of ghosts. These things happens.

FOB Manhattan, SF21 tries to land on another helo for some reason, guess what happens.

I disable an enemy tank, my squadmembers watch me enter enemy tank, squad members EXECUTE me for entering tank with volley of AT missiles. Oh no! "They" got one!

And yes, you can take on an MG frontally in this game as the AI view is "odd."

I'll post some more when I remember them.