mechastalin

Making a unit join the nearest group.

Hi, I'm working on a co-op mission where you have to rescue a captured friendly soldier but I'm not sure of how to go about adding him to a group. I can't add him to one specific group because if that group is dead at the time of rescue he wont go anywhere. Is there a way that on a triggers activation I can get it to check which group is nearest him and add him to that one, or add him to whichever group enters a trigger first?

Oh god yes please, this question has been bugging me for several years now! My project - which I have spent 3 years making - relies on this very thing and it's almost complete. I just need to know this. Please, I have devoted a long time to finding an answer to this, my wife left me and my children will not look me in the eye any more. :( They say "Daddy's gone insane" but what do those little shits know? Daddy need his triggers!

make a trigger of 1x1 or whatever size you want (note its in Meters) activated by your group, or any members present. To do that group the trigger to your group leader and change activation type.

then in onactivation put

[rescuedunitname] [b][color=#ff0000]join[/color][/b] yourgroup;

put this in your group leader init line

nameyoulikeforgroup = group this;

make a trigger of 1x1 or whatever size you want (note its in Meters) activated by your group, or any members present. To do that group the trigger to your group leader and change activation type.

then in onactivation put

The problem is I have 3 different 5 man fireteams operating. If the group I name first dies than the mission will be unplayable. Can I set the trigger's on activation so that it also assigns a name to whatever group is present first then the captive joins that group?

In the trigger's onActivation, you could put something such as:

[rescuedUnit] join group (thisList select 0);

That should make the rescuedUnit join the group of the first unit activating the trigger.

In the trigger's onActivation, you could put something such as:

[rescuedUnit] join group (thisList select 0);

That should make the rescuedUnit join the group of the first unit activating the trigger.

rescuedUnit is the name I gave the unit, correct?

then in onactivation put

Change the activation type to what?

Edit, oh it changes the options. Good to know.

I have the exact same prb as described here. I tried the settings above but I cant figure it out. Did you mange it? For me the trigger activates from far away, and Im not able to figure out how to "activate by my group".