Sign in to follow this  
L3dZ3P

Is it me or the game?

Hey guys, been lurking around here a lot more than playing the game unfortunately no matter what I try though this game runs very poor for me.

I'm talking real bad fps, like between 10-15 at best, but more often 8-10 and last night on multiplayer actually went down to 1 FPS which was a first....couldnt even move :S

My CPU was reading 52% and Ram 29% at the time. Without a doubt the worst times are online, but it has been in single play at times as well.

I only built this pc a short time ago, and although I cut the corner when I bought the Graphics card I still assumed it would be enough to see me through till I got the cash for something better. The guy in the shop said it would run any game you throw at it...he obviously hadnt heard of Arma 2 lol :P

In fact it has run any game I play with no probs....arma 1 included in that.

Does everything point to this card if my CPU or Ram dont seem to be stressed out? Am I really looking at having to buy another card to play this game or can I get it to run better somehow with what I have?

Any suggestions are appreciated guys...shame, game looks so freakin' good when it does run a bit nice:o:

ps....it be nice if BIS would step up and say something if there's something wrong with the game and they're gonna fix it:confused:

man... it is the game... it runs bad for almost everyone... me included...

Lets wait for a fix...

Wait for next patch and if it still runs bad then get an ATI HD4890 (best bang for buck)

(I have an Nvidia GTX285 so I'm not biased towards ATI)

My friend has an HD4890 and his fps are quite close to mine.

Hey guys, been lurking around here a lot more than playing the game unfortunately no matter what I try though this game runs very poor for me.

I'm talking real bad fps, like between 10-15 at best, but more often 8-10 and last night on multiplayer actually went down to 1 FPS which was a first....couldnt even move :S

My CPU was reading 52% and Ram 29% at the time. Without a doubt the worst times are online, but it has been in single play at times as well.

I only built this pc a short time ago, and although I cut the corner when I bought the Graphics card I still assumed it would be enough to see me through till I got the cash for something better. The guy in the shop said it would run any game you throw at it...he obviously hadnt heard of Arma 2 lol :P

In fact it has run any game I play with no probs....arma 1 included in that.

Does everything point to this card if my CPU or Ram dont seem to be stressed out? Am I really looking at having to buy another card to play this game or can I get it to run better somehow with what I have?

Any suggestions are appreciated guys...shame, game looks so freakin' good when it does run a bit nice:o:

ps....it be nice if BIS would step up and say something if there's something wrong with the game and they're gonna fix it:confused:

If you can tell us what settings you're running the game at, we can try to help optimize it a little.

In-game settings when set too high can cause a real slowdown in frames.

It's the game, only fools would rush out and spend £300 on a new gfx to improve performance lol

9800GT should be more than capable, the game just needs some patching to optimise.

It's the game, only fools would rush out and spend £300 on a new gfx to improve performance lol

9800GT should be more than capable, the game just needs some patching to optimise.

I think that's a bit harsh. A £300 gfx card might be expensive but it would definitely last 2-3 generations without needing an upgrade.

Any idea how I can shrink my signature text?

I meant if he was to dump his 9800GT to go and buy a more powerful card because Arma2 runs bad.

Not that it's bad to buy a £300 card in general

Even though all four cores aren't being fully utilised, overclocking the CPU would or getting a faster one would help, as would more GPU if you want to turn the graphics settings up. As for graphics, at least if your 9800GT is a 1GB model, adding a second would be the best bang for the buck.

If you can tell us what settings you're running the game at, we can try to help optimize it a little.

Sorry silly of me not to put that:

Visibility - 3045

texture detail - normal

video memory - default

antriscopic filtering - normal

antialiasing - normal

terrain detail - normal

object detail - normal

shadows - normal

post process - disabled

3 d resolution - 1024 x 768

PhysX - disabled

Another attempt at playing there and I was getting 15-20 fps...right up untill I got killed...game immediately CTD.

Turning antialiasing down or better yet off would likely help the most of anything you could do settings wise. lowering the visiablity would help too.

Another attempt at playing there and I was getting 15-20 fps...right up untill I got killed...game immediately CTD.

I am getting that ALOT lately, really doing my head in :(

infact it just happened to me, spawned at mhq1 to find some daft bugger had parked it in the combat zone for an enemy tank to kill me as I spawned then immediate CTD.

Thanks a lot guys for the replies....those suggestions have helped me a bit in the single player department, will give multiplay another try soon;)

Sorry silly of me not to put that:

Visibility - 3045

texture detail - normal

video memory - default

antriscopic filtering - normal

antialiasing - normal

terrain detail - normal

object detail - normal

shadows - normal

post process - disabled

3 d resolution - 1024 x 768

PhysX - disabled

Ok, as others have said try dropping AA and AF completely. Definitely reel the Visibility in too as that can have a huge impact.

Shadows are generally a killer, so scale those back too.

Pretty much mate, bring those settings down to Low/Very Low with half the View Distance and it might be workable.

Oh and don't worry about CTDs being something wrong with your system as we're all getting them, irrespective of hardware. Just a matter of time until it occurs.

---------- Post added at 01:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 AM ----------

Thanks a lot guys for the replies....those suggestions have helped me a bit in the single player department, will give multiplay another try soon;)

Great to hear, congrats!

MP is a real blast when it's not CTDing you. Evo and CTI are great fun! :)

the game has been released far too early in a crude state? however this will speed up the final finished version cos of all the thousands that are playing (testing) it?