Sign in to follow this  
mr_centipede

Hybrid Commanding System

Hello all,

In reference to this mission, I'm rewriting my Command Hybrid System into sqf file, and make it easier to setup.

Basically this system will merge two commanding system (high command and conventional) into one in a mission. But

you have to setup high command module first.

Here's and overview:

In a high command mission, you start with your group and your subordinates. To move your subordinate, you do it

like in most RTS games. But I find it quite inconvenient to move them over long distance especially when no

contact is expected. With this script, I join all my subordinates into my group, so you in command of 1 large

single group and they will follow you in conventional ARMA way. If a contact occurs, you can break you group into

originally setup High Command subordinates, and now you can command them in HC mode.

Previously I used radio trigger to join/split groups, now I'm making it to use addAction command.

I figure I gather feedback here. Do you think it's usefull and would contribute to mission making?

Thanks

from readme

CENT_HCS2 Demo Mission

ABOUT:

Demo Mission for Hybrid Command System

The mission is set up in UTES, with sec Ops module attach. Just preview the mission, and play around with HCS

INSTALLATION:

The mission is in editor format, so the folder goes to your documents\ARMA 2\Missions folder

USING THE HCS2:

1. To split your team, first select the team member(s) you want to split up, the command menu will popup at you left and select COMMUNICATION -> HCS -> Split Unit. Repeat as needed.

2. Press CTRL+SPACE to open up the High Command interface, you should see the split group under your command, and you can order them around with High Command.

3. TO rejoin the split team. Select the group, the command menu will popup at you left and select COMMUNICATION -> HCS -> Rejoin Group. Repeat as needed.

EXTRA:

If you notice in the HCS menu, you will see there is another command called 'WATCH MY DIRECTION'. It works only in High Command mode. Because of BIS 'watch' command doesnt work in HC, so I create my own. Basically it just made the split group to watch the direction as the player's one. NOT watch what the player look at. eg, you are watching in direction at 125 degrees, so the split group will also be watching 125 degrees from their location.

I also include another kind of HCS, which is 'cent_HCS_SOM.Chernarus' mission. This is the first version of HCS, but with added extras from commsMenu. There's a pbo version of it. Basically this mission is just another secOp mission. Go to the SAT Phone near the church to receive secOps mission. you just have to wait a bit longer. After you completed a SecOps, return to the SAT Phone to receive another mission.

CLOSING:

I hope you enjoy the concept, feel free to make some missions and share it with the community

CREDITS:

Special thanks to Kremator and dFear for the commsMenu

Author

Mr_Centipede

Latest version from Los, with MP compatibility (4 Sept 2009)

www.loscon.net/ARMA/AltHCpltv4.Chernarus.pbo

Mirror

ARMAHOLIC

- Command Hybrid System Script

- Command Hybrid System - Mission by Los18z

Edited by Mr_Centipede

Sounds interesting. To get more feedback a small video or maybe even screenshots may help.

I played around with your test mission quite a bit - it was a lot of fun. I have to say I was very impressed with the idea. It makes life a lot simpler when you need to move all your units quickly to a distant location - no more messing about setting multiple waypoints just to move everyone from point A to B. When I first used high command in A2 I couldn't understand why BI didn't include a "group" function to enable movement as a single unit.

Please keep developing this, I am really looking forward to seeing how this progresses.

Edited by stun

Liking it ..... please continue mate !

If you need further beta testers just ask.

One thing that I found really useful with the hybrid system is that by bringing all the units back under your command and then re-enabling high command you can reduce the level of fragmentation that occurs under high command - I have found that the AI commanders tend to engage quite aggressively which after a while leaves their units very spread out and rather ineffective as a fighting force. I have yet to discover a way to get subordinate units to maintain formation.

I am making another test mission, using sqf this time... looks a lot more cleaner. but about modularity, I dont know. I'm afraid I'm scripting it to meet a specific scenario... I'll post it here when the script is ready. I'm aiming for ease of setup, so dont need to meddle much with the script

Another thing is, do you think its better to regroup/split group using radio trigger or action menu? For me personally I like action menu... dont need to move your hands away much.. just scroll wheel mouse btn, and click.

Edited by Mr_Centipede

Sounds like this could make for a good way of controlling fireteams. Individual control when you need it and fireteams for the action :)

I manage to reconvert all the scripts to sqf now, and made a small test mission in UTES. If you want to test it, please PM me, and include your email address. I'll email them to you. It's just a mere 3kb, editor format. so you can check the sqf.

The test mission is just the same secOps mission, except its on UTES now, and no ACM.

@Stun

About your idea on subordinates maintain formation, I may have an idea to do just that, using "group enableAttack false". but right now I'm having a problem with a trigger, problem's here. Thanks for the idea

[edit]

I think I figured out to make the subordinate to maintain formation. Look at this thread. It doesn't necessarily need HCS. but it needs CBA

Edited by Mr_Centipede

Mr Centipede, are you planing on converting these scripts into an addon that can be used with all high command missions?

No I dont have plan for that just yet. I would love to, but dont know how really

I manage to reconvert all the scripts to sqf now, and made a small test mission in UTES.

can you just share you new beta here??

will do, after I got home from work. hehe. I'll put two test mission, one in chernarus and one in utes. both use secOps.

Chernarus is a platoon size mission, you'll paradrop somewhere, then RV to a trigger zone to activate the SOM.

Utes is a squad size mission. It just spawn you at the airfield and wait for secOps.

But both have no briefings and no end trigger

Im very interested, might as well share it here mate :)

Also to actually get it into a addon pbo to use globally would be far from a waste of time that's for sure. Would probably end up a must have to be honest.

Can wait to try it out, im all for more control :)

Im very interested, might as well share it here mate :)

Also to actually get it into a addon pbo to use globally would be far from a waste of time that's for sure. Would probably end up a must have to be honest.

Can wait to try it out, im all for more control :)

Its certainly not a waste of time... But I dont even know where to start, what to ask. But It would be surely a whole lot of work. Tell you the truth, ARMA2 is literally killing me... testing addon, scripts is so damn fun and addictive just like playing CIV4 with just one more turn syndrome... In the end its already 0100 and tomorrow I go to work to sleep... not to mention about skipping dinner. Not that it's ARMA fault... just that its so damn fun...

Okey enuff about me... 10 minutes before I go back home. Expect it within 1-2hours or so

---------- Post added at 07:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:22 PM ----------

Okey folks... here it is the demo missions.

http://rapidshare.com/files/258297405/Cent_HCS_Demo_Mission.rar.html

details in the readme. Hope you all enjoy. And if you made some missions out of it, feel free to share it with the community

Thank you

I was quick on the uptake :)

Just tried it out, all I can say is THIS NEEDS TO BE A FIXED ADDON AND A FUNDAMENTAL HARDCODED OPTION TO THE GAME ENTIRELY

And yes, I was shouting :)

As regards for mission scripting, this is a much needed little script gem that I will probably use on everything I make in the editor. Great work!

Maybe the likes of Lokis' nightmare teamspeak servers could help, Ofpec crew could also maybe help as regards making this into an addon. Mind you the open ended side to teams may need a lot of string/array work, the best person I can think of is Mando over at Ofpec, hes knows a thing or 3000 about it. See if you can get some people on board to help seeing as you have planted the seed with the script already.

Maybe its just good enough how it is, I know I will use it, but to have it as a fundamental part of the game in any situation I think BIS should code it in.

As regards updates, is there a possible way (unless its the engine) to have it so when you split the teams and they are in position, to flip to Command mode and have those groups not return to formation as a result?

I think im asking for a way to split the teams, then when I flip to command mode those teams that are split actually become the high command groups? I guess this it a completely different ballgame to whats done so far, this is very useful anyway. Actualy the more i think thats through, its more a "feature request" for BIS to implement in the engine.

Edited by mrcash2009

It would be really nice if we can creat basic fire team structure under Dslyeci's TTP concept, that something that OFP and ARMA really lack of.

Another question, is the soldier fall into formation like the old lame way where 30 in a single line or do they follow their assigned team leader as a single group with their own formation? I really hate that in ARMA

Edited by 4 IN 1

It would be really nice if we can creat basic fire team structure under Dslyeci's TTP concept, that something that OFP and ARMA really lack of.

Another question, is the soldier fall into formation like the old lame way where 30 in a single line or do they follow their assigned team leader as a single group with their own formation? I really hate that in ARMA

Unfortunately, as of right now, they regroup as in old way (default ARMA way). 1 group 1 formation.

If we assigned them a colour it would be nice if they kept in those fireteams when going into commander mode.

If we assigned them a colour it would be nice if they kept in those fireteams when going into commander mode.

My point exactly ... that would be very nice indeed.

Thats why i was thinking maybe its BIS engine request to hardcode it in.

It would be very nice to have a small team group them into 3's and then flip to command mode and control them globally over the map, and then reform again later, that in some ways is what I would call a justified "Arma 2" feature out the box.

I think I found a bug with secOps mission not completing. It seems because you're no longer in the 'same group' with the group that the SOM gave the mission to. Happens after regroup/rejoin platoon. untested fix right now that I can think of is to remove/comment out the

_HCLeader hcSetGroup [group _hcLeader]

(or something like that) command from the cent_hcs_init.sqf. maybe in cent_hcs_split.sqf too

Will try that now mate to see if it works.

Keep working on this ..... its making a LOT of people happy ! You just need to increase the amount of levels available in command - I know it's not an easy thing to do!

fixed code for non-completing secOps mission after regroup/split:

cent_HCS_init.sqf:

sleep 0.1;

_HCLeader=_this select 0;
_HCGroupName=_this select 1;

_HCLeader hcSetGroup [group _HCLeader];
(group _HCLeader) setGroupID [_HCGroupName select 0,"0"];
_HCGroups=HCAllGroups _HCLeader;

for [{_x=0},{_x<(count _HCGroups)},{_x=_x+1}] do {
_newGrp=_HCGroups select _x;
_team=_HCGroupName select _x+1;
_HCLeader hcSetGroup [_newGrp];
_newGrp setGroupID [_team,"0"];
};

_HCLeader addAction ["Regroup Platoon", "cent_HCS\cent_HCS_join.sqf",

[_HCLeader,_HCGroups,_HCGroupName],6,false,true];

cent_HCS_join.sqf:

sleep 0.1;
_index=_this select 2;
_args=_this select 3;

_Commander=_args select 0;
_Squads=_args select 1;
_HCGroupName=_args select 2;

_SquadsBack=[];
{_SquadsBack=_SquadsBack+[(units _x)]} forEach _Squads;
{_SquadsBack=_SquadsBack-[(units _x)]} forEach group_Commander;
{units _x joinSilent (group _Commander)} forEach _Squads;

_Commander removeAction _index;
_Commander addAction ["Split Platoon", "cent_HCS\cent_HCS_split.sqf",[_Commander,_SquadsBack,_HCGroupName],6,false,true];

cent_HCS_split.sqf:

sleep 0.1;
_index=_this select 2;
_args=_this select 3;

_Commander=_args select 0;
_Squads=_args select 1;
_HCGroupName=_args select 2;

for [{_x=0},{_x<(count _Squads)},{_x=_x+1}] do {
private["_newUnit"];
_newGrp=_Squads select _x;
[b]if(_newGrp select 0 != _Commander)[/b] then{
	_newGrp join grpNull;
	for [{_y=0},{_y<(count _newGrp)},{_y=_y+1}] do {
		if (alive (_newGrp select _y)) then {_newUnit=_newGrp select _y};
	};
	_newGrp=group _newUnit;
	_team=_HCGroupName select _x+1;
	_Commander hcSetGroup [_newGrp];
	_newGrp setGroupID [_team,"0"];
};
};

_Commander removeAction _index;
_Commander addAction ["Regroup Platoon", "cent_HCS\cent_HCS_join.sqf",[_Commander,HCAllGroups _Commander,_HCGroupName],6,false,true];

I hope that's correct. the bold part is what I think that actually fix it

This is really good. but feels like only the beginning of what it could be. looking forward to where you take this great idea.

Let's not put too much hope shall we. Not that I dont want to aim for the sky, just that my initial idea was to set-up a platoon, now thatI have achieved it, I'm kinda lost.

I'll try to set-up a company in the future. Maybe the setup something like this:

The whole structure is COY cmder with pltn cmdr and squads. after regroup command the squads will form on the platoon, and thus we have several platoon size (~30men) groups. in HC mode command them as a 30man group. then split up, we can command the 3 squads. Just an idea.

How would you like to set-up company size HCS?