Sign in to follow this  
Stones

Arma 2 making something click inside my computer?

everytime i load up the game and play it something inside my computer keeps on making clicking noises but when I alt tab to desktop the noises cease. this happens sometimes when im playing the game aswell, but when i go onto the map screen theres no noise. its the only game i have that makes my hardware "click" and can be quite annoying. Also, whenever i load up arma 2 i get a message saying "no entry C:\Documents and Settings\My user\My documents\ArmA 2\ArmA2.cfg.3D_performance." any ideas on that one?

btw, i had none of these problems with ArmA 1, it worked fine for the 2 or 3 years i had it.

can you still hear it if you turn your speakers off ?

yeah, its definatly insde the computer, its not to do with the GPU fan speed either.

downloaded HD Tune, now how exactly do i check both the HDD's health? i've clicked the health tab and to be honest i have no idea what its saying.

Downloaded that tool to answer yer question ;)

Above the healttab is a drop down menu. select your HDD and read the column status.

Additionally I think you should select the tab "error scan" and perform one. //edit: and maybe not just a quick scan

its definatly not coming from a hard drive. i just put my head in my pc and it sounded like it was from either my graphics card or sound card.

What gfx-card you got? If 2-Slot: maybe something fell / went into the fan and is now rioting inside the card when the air is pushed from the fan to the rear slits.

Did you dust of your equipment to ensure that there are no loose parts / grains of dust or whatever?

To check if its coming from the _working_ gfx-card, try furmark or another benchmark which stresses your gfx-card.

Edit:

Mind you, opening your card cancels your guarantee (in some cases - watch for a seal)! So you should do this only if you either have no more guarantee or dont care about it ;)

Edited by -s!Gm4-

i've got a XFX 4870, and i de-dusted on sunday, it was doing it before aswell, and its only when arma 2 is playing the menu screen, when i click on one of the buttons it stops then starts happening again when i get to that menu.

I remember dimly another lad who also had some problems in the menu only.

The answer back then for him was that mayhap the load of water around the carreier was causing the problem. Sharder-render-texture-ishy. You get the point.

So, i guess you have a modern mainboard. How about switching onboard sound on, deinstall you soundcard and check if that sound is really coming from the gfx-card? So you can pinpoint the culprit at least.

But what is causing the card to do such noises is really beyond my horizon.

(In the last instance you should perhaps get in touch with your hardware provider and tell him that your card is kind of defect and you want to swap it with a new one.)

I have the same noise from my BFG 8800GTX OC 768MB. Quiet in Win7, noisy in Arma2 menus, quiet ingame.

I guess its fan just rattles at a particular rpm.

Perhaps you should check this using GPU-Z for instance. Afaik you can log quite everything regarding your gfx-card with this, including RPM of the fan.

Maybe it's the full potential of this game desperately trying knock it's way out?

Sorry couldn't resist, pls continue! :D

perhaps you should stop putting your head in your machine ????

Is it just one click, when you start the game - or ongoing clicking?

If just the one (or two in succession), it's most likely your soundcard switching modes, and is nothing to worry about.

power supply, clicking or buzzing may come from capacitors on MB due to the rail volts being too low

Well I'll be. I have the click sound too! It almost sounds like a plastic thing or something. I've had it for a while though and I've heard the horror stories of it being HardDrive related, but I've been coasting along with no probs.

I also get that ArmA2.cfg.3D_performance window before I launch the game but I just click it off and play on. I'm going to try and reinstall the dx9 redis.

----

Eh, I just deleted the ArmA2.cfg and launched the game. It made a new one.

Here's what .cfg looks like:

language="English";

adapter=-1;

3D_Performance=100000;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

Resolution_W=1920;

Resolution_H=1200;

refresh=60;

Render_W=1920;

Render_H=1200;

FSAA=0;

postFX=0;