Sign in to follow this  
Curs3

computer for arma 2

Since my computer isn't up to par as i thought it would be. I'm willing to get another one and give this one to my gf.

I assume this is a cpu intensive game, would it take avtange of a high end amd am3 quad, 8 gigs of ram? What would it take to run this game maxed out.

thank you in advance.

fyi i build so im not asking for "dell, or hp"

If your pc runs other games good don't upgrade , wait a bit .

Even the monsters pc cant run this game , so i would wait for a patch .

I don't think amd doing to well with this game ???? ( i could be wrong )

This game doesn't like 8 gigs of ram so it would be waste . ( if you plan buying it just for this game ) 4 gigs should be plenty and you could use the extra money on a better psu or gpu.

But i would wait for a patch before speending money on this game

I agree with bender.

I really want this game to run well and I'm prepared to buy a better GFX card but at the moment I don't think a better card is going to guarantee a better game experience.

thanks for the advice.

I agree this is a different breed of game, will require more info on what bottlenecks then. Honestly don't think its the gpu though. I think if the core technology was more supported this game will fly.

also what did you mean this game does not like 8 gigs? as thats what i have right now.

buy the biggest CPU you can afford, then buy a GFX card that matches your Display, 285gtx=best@1400/900 display resolution, and is good@ 1600/1200. Same for a 4890oc_1gb.

If you have a super bitchen 24in 1920/1200 LCD then you need two cards to run it, and they WONT run on veryhigh with 200%fill and max AA. For that you need Quadfire or triSli. and even then they cant push it at max ubersettings. Best resolution for this game on a basic 4870/260/9800/ is 1248/1024 or so... the game demands big kits. If you read through the issues people have, its 99% of the time, they haven't the kit to run there new 24in LCD or just too much display for there hardware. I run Quadfire, 4ghz CPU @ 1920/1440,1920/1080,16/12 ect... (CRT21in) game runs fine, no wacky issues or CTDs.. just playing. 100/90 fps down to 25fps, it depends on settings and rez. A new system is a new PSU new MB new CPU RAM to match and then the Vidcard = $minimum 1500$

GL

thanks for the advice.

I agree this is a different breed of game, will require more info on what bottlenecks then. Honestly don't think its the gpu though. I think if the core technology was more supported this game will fly.

also what did you mean this game does not like 8 gigs? as thats what i have right now.

I think there where a few getting weird textures / glitch with 8 gigs

-winxp, use it in Vista/W7 to enable multi-GPU support, will disable use of D3D9Ex (a special Vista only D3D9 version), fixes users with 8GB+ RAM !!!!

i didn't really read much about it tho , there should be post about it

I have 6GB of RAM on a Ci7 setup and not even half of it is used while playing this game, so 4GB is fine if you are going C2Q. Other than that, get the fastest CPU and GPU setup you care to, the game is rather demanding on both.

Edited by kylebisme

If you're considering an upgrade, Core 2's seem to run faster than Quads for Arma 2, although that may be fixed soon so no idea what the best choice is.

It's good to see those benchmarks finally.

I've had too many posts of "I have a 2 year old CPU and a new GFX card, why isn't it working perfectly?"

It's good to finally see some technical proof that the CPU, in most cases, is the bottleneck with Arma 2

A computer that can run arma 2 without problems doesn't can't exist yet. You would need an Nvidia GT300 series or ATi RV800, which haven't been released yet and have a cGPU design instead of the traditional GPU. It's like a new era of video cards altogether.