Sign in to follow this  
froggyluv

Devils Peak [SP]

enjoying your mission, it seems to work well except twice tonight when we cleared the hilltop, it said saving game, then ctd while I was hosting. Also, can you please add this code to the description.ext so it will stop showing up as an issue in my rpt file?

class Header
{
gameType = COOP;            //DM, Team, Coop, ...
minPlayers = 1;             //min # of players the mission supports
maxPlayers = 8;            //Max # of players the mission supports
}

Thanks again for the fun mission, just a few minor tweaks :p

@[DirTyDeeDs]-Ziggy- Nice job on the video! Thanks alot man. It was really cool watching someone else play a mission that I've tested thru so many times, and go about it totally differently. Noticed you don't engage MG'er's on the little Island with the Lighthouse, taking them out saves a lot of your Ai boats and allows a sniper team to plant themselves there. Frontpaged.

@{USI}_Zombie - thanks. I know nothing about MP code but I'll put that in if it helps. Not sure about the CTD, I was having problems with the save crashing when using big mods like SLX (cannot commit error), but never on vanilla. Check PM.

Edited by froggyluv

I got your pm. I really don't make sp missions, I originally thought this was an MP mission because there is more than 1 playable slot :p

The code I posted goes in the description.ext, seems to be an Arma2 thing, and will generate an error in the arma2.rpt if you don't have it. I am not certain that save game works in MP or it could be an addon thing, since the guys I play with use 2 or 3 addons.

Thanks again for the fun mission.

I just played it, and nearly everyone was invincible. Ran up to a bunch of enemies, we unloaded all our ammo into each other but were all unharmed. A few guys did die though.

Also saw some guys swimming in the sea near the start.

FPS was pretty bad too.

Looks like it could be a good mission though. Maybe you could use some scripts to only spawn certain enemies when necessary, to reduce the CPU load? You should be able to make such scripts using the 3D editor (either the BIS one or the one by Ionis that you can find in the Addons section).

I just played it, and nearly everyone was invincible. Ran up to a bunch of enemies, we unloaded all our ammo into each other but were all unharmed.

FPS was pretty bad too.

Same for me. Not a single person could hit the broad side of a barn, even at point blank. I also saw some sort of dirt pile or something, it was hard to tell, that was just floating in mid air with an enemy guy stuck in it with only his head and gun sticking out. lol!

Yeah, I'm sensing a common theme here :rolleyes:

Certainly I didn't add any scripting that would effect damage or bad shooting so again this must be performance related. I would say I have a moderate rig and have never had these issues unless I triple up on some heavy duty mods but alas, they are a reality for many. I have made a lite version (not released yet) that downsizes the forces and does add some FPS to the mission, I'm just not sure that I like it though. In terms of creating "create groups' scripts and whatnot, it might save some initial fps but would be tough to still keep the manic beach gunbattle withought all of the groups present from the start. I will ceratinly look into it though.

Thanks for letting me know though guys, I do appreciate it. And please, leave a brief bio of your setup and settings to help me gauge the scope of the problem.

Edited by froggyluv

I had no such issues about units being 'invincible', but there was one burm? (is it) not resting flat on the ground. you can see it in the video I made when I fire at an enemy midway thru (@ approx 5 min mark).

my rig is in my sig, and the settings I play with are all high cept for AA normal and post low.

1600x900, 3D render 100%, XP32

perhaps it is my high cpu clock that negates the invincible effect?

Edited by [DirTyDeeDs]-Ziggy-

Great mission... but with a serious issue.

The enemy simply could not be killed. In my case, my squad and I were fighting another enemy squad and then I saw another friendly going all the way to the enemy squad, and I mean 2 feet next to them, unloaded a whole magazine to one enemy guy and NOTHING! That really turned me off.

Also, for some reason while playing this mission my XP machine crashed and I could not get the OS up again. As soon as I logged in the system kept crashing.

I ended up logging in in safe mode, then logged in normally and things went back to normal (so far). FYI.

-Splicer.

==

Same for me. Not a single person could hit the broad side of a barn, even at point blank. I also saw some sort of dirt pile or something, it was hard to tell, that was just floating in mid air with an enemy guy stuck in it with only his head and gun sticking out. lol!

No problems here, though fighting in Elektrozavodsk finally brought my little laptop to its knees.

The amount of static defenses on the mountain may be excessive. Those AGS GLs slaughter entire squads of marine as they pile out of the boats, and it takes a long time to find them all on the summit, just to shoot them like dogs.

A script making them leave the guns to fight when you reached the top would reduce USMC AI casualties and give you a better fight up top.

I ended up single-handedly taking the mountain because BI's beta patches made it so my squad moved 100m every ten minutes while under fire.

JESUS! I played this with ACE and ZEUS AI and NONE of the assault boats made it to shore! hahahahah! (ok, I know because I deliberately waited behind and see if any would make it to see where the defensive gaps may be hehehehe)

Glad to hear people are still playing this :)

@Splicer: The only reason I can think that enemies were'nt taking damage again is a performance issue. I've never had that happen to me on this mission but have seen it on equally large or larger sized missions.

@maturin: A lot has changed in terms of AI since I made this so it probably plays out quite differntly than intended. The majority of the friendly squads are intended to take fire aka die, so that your squad and generally 1-2 other may reach the peak. There are commands running in that if you get within 10m of a static gunner that he will disembark and fight -perhaps I should have increased that range. The problem with having them all disembark early is that some may run off and they are required kills to achieve the objective/trigger. Making the actual static guns the target was used at first but required too much firepower and was too time consuming so it was changed.

@jasonnoguchi: LoL! Probably Zeus's expanded ranges led to that utter defeat and I haven't tried it with ACE (yet).

---------- Post added at 06:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 PM ----------

Ok, tried with just ACE and some squads made it intact to shore. The weakness is in taking a right flank landing area and rushing your men to the right of the mountain, then assaulting from the rear. Actually the 1st objective is made to be a red herring in a sense, in that it is almost futile to try and duke it out a frontal position on the beach

Whn I played it i first went to the Lighttower and killed the machinegunners there, then I went to the Huey wreck, took the gatlin and killed everything in range. After that it was much easier to get up the right flank

Whn I played it i first went to the Lighttower and killed the machinegunners there, then I went to the Huey wreck, took the gatlin and killed everything in range. After that it was much easier to get up the right flank

Nice one, I never even thought of that.

Im waiting for 1.05 before attempting this one again, hopefully there will be some performance increases so I can complete it! On previous attempts ive got about 2 thirds of the way up the hill before my PC has come grinding to a halt!

Glad to hear people are still playing this :)

@Splicer: The only reason I can think that enemies were'nt taking damage again is a performance issue. I've never had that happen to me on this mission but have seen it on equally large or larger sized missions.

@maturin: A lot has changed in terms of AI since I made this so it probably plays out quite differntly than intended. The majority of the friendly squads are intended to take fire aka die, so that your squad and generally 1-2 other may reach the peak. There are commands running in that if you get within 10m of a static gunner that he will disembark and fight -perhaps I should have increased that range. The problem with having them all disembark early is that some may run off and they are required kills to achieve the objective/trigger. Making the actual static guns the target was used at first but required too much firepower and was too time consuming so it was changed.

@jasonnoguchi: LoL! Probably Zeus's expanded ranges led to that utter defeat and I haven't tried it with ACE (yet).

---------- Post added at 06:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 PM ----------

Ok, tried with just ACE and some squads made it intact to shore. The weakness is in taking a right flank landing area and rushing your men to the right of the mountain, then assaulting from the rear. Actually the 1st objective is made to be a red herring in a sense, in that it is almost futile to try and duke it out a frontal position on the beach

@froggyluv,

I'm glad to hear that it is not a common problem (but it had to happen to me... :( ). I'll give it another shot (no pun intended) and see how it goes.

@jasonnoguchi: I've read your posts on how ArmAII's AI is greatly improved with Zeus. I will definitely get Zeus and see how long I can make it (I'm still going through a learning curve on using ArmAII, just played veteran and got smoked quicker than I thought... and this is without Zeus! :) )

Best, -Splicer.

@Slicer, indeed, the BIGGEST difference Zeus make is engagement range. The wildly extended engagement range might have made landing a frontal assault impossible as frog mentioned. :(