Sign in to follow this  
sbsmac

ANNOUNCE: PVP script pack released

Thanks Mosh :)

Recent changes include ability to edit pbo files directly, ability to convert between pbos and extracted missions, 'upload to server' feature, basic/advanced editor sections, _much_ improved new-mission templates, and the ability to create highly-customised templates from your own missions as the basis for new missions (I need to document this though). Working towards an 'official' release - maybe this weekend. In the meantime, bug-reports/suggestions/feature-requests are most appreciated!

BTW - download link for anyone who wants to try the beta is http://www.armaleague.com/pvpmissionwizard/bin/setup.exe

Wizard official release !

TiBXqC5x1u0

The wizard builds on the PVPScriptPack to make mission-making easier than ever before.

*Create fully-playable missions in minutes from a range of standard game-types or user-made templates.

*Edit configuration variables, markers and other aspects of the mission from the wizard.

*Work on existing mission folders or directly on pbo's.

*Uploads pbo's to your ArmA2 server

*Share your missions and templates with other users.

*Automatically downloads the latest version of the scripts and upgrades your missions.

*And much more....

Download link:- http://www.armaleague.com/pvpmissionwizard/bin/setup.exe

Edited by sbsmac

sbsmac,

I tried to install the wizard but got "file setup.exe is not a valid Win32 application" again. I believe I had the same problem with one of the previous versions.

...also, will you be looking into the respawn bug problem?

Thanks

K

Hmm - do you have .NET3.5 installed ? Someone else I know had a similar problem but fixed it so I will see if he remembers what the solution is.

>.also, will you be looking into the respawn bug problem?

The latest version of the scripts (307) that is available through the scriptpack solves several problems with the paradrops including the ones you were seeing I think.

Great job on this mac,,,, will have a go this evening................ damn it matey... you havent half put some work and time into this and you deserve some sort of recognition ... either from bis or the communtity as a whole..

Thank _you_. And congratulations on a well-deserved "community website of the year". :)

Great job on this mac,,,, will have a go this evening................ damn it matey... you havent half put some work and time into this and you deserve some sort of recognition ... either from bis or the communtity as a whole..

He got my vote for the awards... :)

Congratulations on the release. I know you put a lot of effort into this. I hope everyone gives this a try. It's a great program.

Thanks again.

This looks to be a very good program. I was looking forward to using it, however, when I went to down load it I came up with this error .....

erroronly2.png

..... I tried to download it on 14 Feb, Sunday. Any ideas what the deal is or how I can get around it?

I'm not sure but I'm guessing that this may be because you don't have .NET3.5 installed on your system ? You can download that from here:- http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=333325FD-AE52-4E35-B531-508D977D32A6&displaylang=en

Alternatively, it may be a corrupt download (according to some articles I have seen, browser pop-up blockers may affect the download). You can check whether you have managed to get the whole file by opening the path shown in the error dialog and checking the size of setup.exe. It should be around 680kB.

I have also added another mirror for the setup file at http://dev-heaven.net/attachments/download/4860/setup.exe in case this helps.

Luhgnut's

Tips and Tricks for [sBS]mac's PvP Wizard

Single player/co-op Destroy Missions (Vehicles)

Situation: West: Human Player - East: AI

Set Game Tab Item:

Allow a team to win when the other team no longer holds any objectives to "YES".

Create ONE 1m x1m West objective and place it in the ocean way off the way and put the keyword in as "hidden".

The Objective keyword string should be:

"Dummy Objective",west,hidden

Set game type: - Coop

Set all other objectives on the map to be owned by east

Reason: It allows the west player to neutralize the destroy objectives creating a win situation where the East AI cannot get to the single west

objective out in the ocean.

Destroy objectives will only turn neutral and won't actually be "captured".

Destroy text code should be:

"Destroy This",east,destroy, (mobile)

use mobile if you want the vehicle to be able to be moved after mission initializes. Just keep it out if you want it to stay put.

IMPORTANT - Make sure when you place the objective marker over a destroy target that it doesn't cover a building! Unless you want the building to be the target.

EVERYTHING Under the Destroy objective is marked as THIS STUFF MUST BE DESTROYED.

Just make the objective marker really small if it's a single item and place it dead center on top of it, and you'll be fine. FYI, item names when hovered over is the center of the item. Make sure the objective marker covers the center where the name shows up when hovering over. If a marker covers the back end of a tank, and not the center, it's not under it.

Also be cautious of where you place the guarding AI. Had a situation we couldn't neutralize the town because an AI got shifted under the destroy objective and since it was set "mobile" he wandered off and ran into the woods. Had a hell of a time finding him, then debugging.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Mixing Destroy Objectives with Capture Objectives

If placing both types of objectives: It's best to have the capture objective at the beginning or middle of the mission and entice the player to

attempt a capture mission by placing a nice vehicle they will need to neutralize the other two objectives creating a win situation.

If you put the destroy objectives first, when the last capture objective turns "neutral" the game will end. So you want it captured prior to

neutralizing the last destroy objective.

Set everything up as above but place the capture objective anywhere prior to the last objective. Make the "last" destroy mission tough to do

unless you finish the other capture objectives first. I do this by having additional ammo or a tank or something they will need to finish the

last destroy mission.

You can have as many destroy and capture objectives you want, but best to have LAST objective be a destroy mission.

You can also say have a hostage rescue objective prior to the last objective. Have to deliver the hostage in a town guarded by the enemy for

example.

You can also force this by setting the game type to AAS but it's intended for PvP game types, I've noticed some oddities when doing this but you

can try.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Co-op Assassination Type Missions

Set everything up as above

When using non vehicle AI as an assassination/destroy target place the objective marker right on top of the AI. I use a 5mx5m square or LESS so

only one AI is under the objective when the game initializes.

The objective string should be:

"Assassination Target",hostage,destroy,mobile,east

Place it center over what needs to be killed. This marks AI the target as the objective

Special tip: Say you want a civilian to be the target. But he's neutral. Create an east AI, group the East AI to the civilian. Set

"probability of presence" to Zero. Set the East AI a high rank, Colonel or something.

This makes the civilian for all purposes "East". when he's killed the objective will turn neutral. Ending the mission.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Town defense

Setup gametype as CO-Op

Set the game time (I use 30 min)

Set town center objective to the side of the defenders (assuming East)

Objective string should be:

"Town Center",east,flag

Create another objective owned by West 1mx1m out in the ocean.

Set it's string to be:

"Dummy Objective",west,hidden

Set the number of seconds it takes for one player to capture an objective to say "30" or greater. Longer the timer, the more intense the battle.

Be careful with this, you don't want people to think that it's unwinnable or too easy.

Set Allow a team to win when the other team no longer holds any objectives to "YES" in the Game Tab.

When East looses the center objective, it won't "own" any objectives and the AI west player will win.

Set the East Respawn outside of the town center objective so they can reinforce. If you put it inside, the spawning players will just keep

setting it to neutral. Or if you want this, make the respawn timer longer than the capture timer but players will have a long wait for respawn,

and may just respawn into a spawn rape situation.

Special Tip:

USE an AI respawner script. So you don't lag out peoples game by putting a ton of AI on the map to replennish the forces attacking.

Special Tip: I make up an elite squad of attackers with a 10% probability of presence. Fancy it up with a helo insertion or boat landing or

something. Just to spice things up a bit if played multiple times. I also use an AI respawner with weird configurations of troops/vehicles with

weird probability of appearing in large placement area. Just to change things up from game to game. Also I set special weapons crates, static

weapons or maybe even an artillery piece to find and use with 10% probability of presence.

If you want to setup a town attack, just reverse everything. It works.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Other things helpful in general:

AAS Missions:

West ALWAYS attacks the HIGHEST objective FIRST!

East ALWAYS attacks the LOWEST objective number FIRST!

Example:

West Spawn ->objective_3 ->objective_2 ->objective_1

East Spawn ->objective_1 ->objective_2 ->objective_3

-----------

-In Co-op missions it's best to place an objective initially owned by both sides on the map then alter the Game Tab settings to your needs.

-Place one Game Logic Trigger (0 in size) on the map and name it "Server!" some functions in the server code use this for some reason. I've seen

some oddities on multiplayer servers running maps that didn't have this. If you have it, and the server doesn't need it, then who cares? So best

to place one to be on the safe side.

Edited by [RIP] Luhgnut

Good stuff Lughnut, thanks. This has been cut and pasted to my 'Script Pack' notepad.

I always wondered about the server logic myself. I use a Game Logic named server instead of a Trigger, if that's any different, no idea. I assume it's necessary for testing locally (although I never tried the -server switch in the shortcut command line).

I have a dedicated at home to test on, a rented server to test on, and of course the plain old editor (I have more machines to test it on than actual people to help test it). Results do vary...

Good stuff Lughnut, thanks. This has been cut and pasted to my 'Script Pack' notepad.

I always wondered about the server logic myself. I use a Game Logic named server instead of a Trigger, if that's any different, no idea. I assume it's necessary for testing locally (although I never tried the -server switch in the shortcut command line).

I have a dedicated at home to test on, a rented server to test on, and of course the plain old editor (I have more machines to test it on than actual people to help test it). Results do vary...

I think the game logic and the trigger named the same and set for Game Logic are the same thing. Looking at the code.

I've been using the wizard now for about a month in beta and it's awesome. Here's another trick...

I create all my mission set-ups in the Arma2 editor first. I have little templates on utes with all my regular setups. I have one that just has my AI respawner stuff, Create a mission and save it. Import from Utes all your normal rigs. Weapons crates, AI spawners, markers, etc. Move em around on your new map the way you like. Once everything is placed. Save.

Copy your custom.sqs files, scripts, etc, into the new mission directory.

Fire up the wizard. Open the new mission by checking the box "show missions that don't use the script-pack". Bring everything into the wizard.

Alter your settings in the wizard. Save. This then generates all the needed script pack stuff into the directory, set's the init and description files, etc. Then go back into the Arma2 editor and preview. You can then export to single/multiplayer then, or do it with the wizard.

So fastest way.

1. On utes, make up a mission with standard markers for your gametype (AAS,CH,CTF,etc), save each one individually
  2. Make up another mission on utes with Respawners, AI with Arty, etc. Save each individually.
  3. Start up Cherno or whatever.
  4. Import gametype from your utes missions.
  5. Move them into position.
  6. Import AI respawners, and any other special goodies, move them around.
  7. Keep doing this till you have everything loaded you want. Like building blocks all lego style.
  8. Don't fire up the wizard yet.
  9. Get everything placed on Cherno or whatever island.
  10. Save as user mission
  11. Move Custom Scripts/Custom.sqs files into the mission directory.
  12. Fire up Wizard
  13. Open it with option to show missions not using the wizard.
  14. Alter wizard settings. MAKE SURE YOU IMPORT custom scripts check box!
  15. Save or export PBO if you're ready.
  16. Done

Takes me longer to make up the mission logo than it does to make a mission. No foolin.

Edited by [RIP] Luhgnut

So fastest way.

1. On utes, make up a mission with standard markers for your gametype (AAS,CH,CTF,etc), save each one individually

Nice tips Lughnut - I'll add a couple of clarifications later. One thing about the above... you may be able to save yourself a bit of time by creating templates. Basic recipe is...

1)Create a mission that you like - add markers as appropriate, custom scripts, logo, sounds etc as you see fit.

2) Save-as template. Make sure the 'save custom scripts, save sounds and images checkboxes are ticked'.

3) Then you can just create a new mission based on that template - all the scripts including the custom ones are copied across. Images and sounds also as well as any configuration you set in the original mission.

You can also choose to edit the configuration controls that will appear in the 'basic' tab or when you create a new mission based on the template but it isn't necessary.

*Edit* see you have uploaded a template already so it looks like you already figured this out :)

Oh, I figured it out, but had all my plug in stuff already in Utes and I'm lazy.

Yes, this is true. I do this out of habit and my in ability to change. :)

The Wizards code you wrote is way, way better to organize than my old fart way. So prolly best if I start building the templates.

Here's some goodies for you guys.

FLAGS for your missions All re-sized for the script pack. just copy into your ctf/flags directory and rename to "east" "west" "neutral". I use our [RIP] Flag for Neutral.:p

ACE2 Ammo Crates

All the weapons in separate .sqs files. by type.

Included is a single .sqs that has ALL the stuff. Then three with side specific "East/West/PLA", then more broken down by side/function. Instructions in each .sqs on how to use. Easy-peasy. So you want Ace2 East Weapons only? Just put the code in the crate object init line. Done.

You can use these until sbsmac puts in the Ace2 load-outs. They work fine.:yay:

I also just added some templates to the share that have some interesting mechanics/scripts.

Everything I use REQUIRES ACE2. and I use most all the islands that ACE2 updates.

I also run a custom.sqs file that generates random weather.

Edited by [RIP] Luhgnut

sbsmac, maybe a bit of odd question: is there a way to add AIs to the game with your script?

Thanks

K

Luhgnut;1571055']Here's some goodies for you guys

Once again, thanks! Although I noticed a few flags aren't ^n (512x512,256x128,etc) and don't seem to work.

What I did was open the FLAGS.PBO in OFP and use them as is, no conversion necessary. And there are 170+ flags there. If you have OFP handy, it's worth taking a peek... I'd upload the pack, but since it is actual game files, I don't think I can. I'll ask a mod though.

EDIT - There's even a Codemasters flag in it for you. :yay:

Edited by Mosh
more

is there a way to add AIs to the game with your script?

Yes - but you'll need to be a little more specific about what you are trying to achieve ! :)

There are not many people playing DM games:(, so I want to have some AIs on my maps to play with (I mean against) :).

Thank you

K

Edited by Krout

There are not many people playing DM games:(, so I want to have some AIs on my maps to play with (I mean against) :).

Thank you

K

uh. ok. Well the wizard isn't the editor. You can do all that in the editor.

The mission wizard and the pvp pack work fine with single player or co-op. Just set game type to co-op.

And in response to nobody playing "DM" games. Well with the maps I've done with the wizard/pack, I've had thousands of downloads. You still have to know how to use the Arma2 editor. The wizard doesn't replace it, just makes the creation and parameters of the game/mission mega easier.

---------- Post added at 08:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 AM ----------

Once again, thanks! Although I noticed a few flags aren't ^n (512x512,256x128,etc) and don't seem to work.

What I did was open the FLAGS.PBO in OFP and use them as is, no conversion necessary. And there are 170+ flags there. If you have OFP handy, it's worth taking a peek... I'd upload the pack, but since it is actual game files, I don't think I can. I'll ask a mod though.

EDIT - There's even a Codemasters flag in it for you. :yay:

heheh

I fixed them. I uploaded the wrong zip file. :)

Weird, just popped in OFP and no flags.pbo file. Found it but I have to patch and really don't feel like reinstalling and so forth. I reuploaded a pile of flags. Just use the above link.

Edited by [RIP] Luhgnut

well done to all for the efforts in here!

to business...

im from a joint operations background, ive been playing it since the beta, and now i realise how spoilt ive been, not only with an awesome gameplay system (JO is still the best game ive ever played), and to date nothing has come close to the usability(controls) and playstyle of it. arma2 was suggested to me by squadmates as a replacement. however it has a stupidly complicated control system with many redundant buttons(doubled-up controls), and entering a vehicle is downright rediculous. but i persist because there is no alternative - so far. JO's level editor called Nile (novalogic interactive level editor) is a sinch to use, interactive, works and is 1 program, not a suite of confusing complex programs that must be used 'just so'. it uses the game files to give access to all the objects(buildings,foliage,people,vehicles,etc), sounds, effects and markers, all easily placed by the noobiest of noobs. ive made rather a few complex maps(some abstract, just to get out 'of the box' for a bit) and many others, but i would not even entertain the idea of doing them with the tools(any so far) for arma. they are just too hard to use, like using the old quake editor...(shudders).

the ctf scripting tool is a step in the right direction, and full praise to sbsmac for the hard work(for the love of it) and those helping him out.

anyhoo.

issues i have with the ctf thingy.(does ctf actually stand for capture the flag, or something else)..

1. why cant i use the 3d editor ( or the 2d one for that matter ), in-game to edit rather then having to use the 2d-only 'preview' mode from ctf? if i try to load my mission(using the game menu versions) they cant find anything. to load....?

2. the units browser does'nt do anything.....!

what i really want to be able to do.......

a. ive made a map using the default AAS template and removed 'hold' from the 2nd base, and i can win the map - all good.

however i want a PsP feature attached to the objective(s), or even a simple marker(s) to act as a PsP(s). the earlier suggestions in here seem more complicated than necissary, though a clear description of the process would be good.

b. is there any way to move/remove/place; buildings and foliage, not just the units and decorations seen within the arma-editor?

c. a 'spin-map' or similar would be good, then id know which direction to go in. is it possible to make the game put a spin-map up for the players. NOT a gps as (for me), the gps thingy is next to useless, especially if i have to refer to the map to check where i am as i find switching back and forth from the map to be laggy as buggery.

d. is it possible to have freindly tags showing, and be able to change them from simple to complex at will(via a hotkey), even the distance at which they are visible, ie; visible at less than 1000m and not, further out.

e. directional cues for the next objective (flag/base/PsP) would also be great, as again i would not have to check the map every 5 seconds during a running battle to see where i am.

any help appreciated.

cheers!

.LJ

PS: does anyone know if there is a way to 'hack' the controls in the game to remove controls that id never use and to change the way they are implimented in-game. ie: repair(anything) using a 'repair' key, enter/exit(not eject, leave that on the scroll-menu) a vehicle using the 'activate' or 'enter/exit' key, and move around in the vehicle using ctrl-1(driver), ctrl-2(gunner), etc. ill think of others later..

anyhoo, seeyez later.

geez it sounds like i want a JO-mod for arma2, lol!............hmmm yess.....lol indeed.

Edited by LaughingJack

You would do well to look in the editing forums and ask questions there, SBSMAC is just making a pack of scripts that many mission makers use in order to help those that don't know how to do what they want to with the game and created his little app to assist in that goal. There are plenty of people with knowledge in the editing forums that can help you with the complex scripting and you could ask the ACE team about the key binds since they have their own for their mod.

Laughingjack - as Anfiach has said, you've asked quite a mixture of questions ranging from scripting to the game editor. I'll try to break these down by category...

First comment - if you like JO, you may want to check out the AAS maps by SBS-Coolbox (no relation to me). I've heard a lot of people say they do a good job of recreating the JO gameplay.

My scriptpack was originally designed to support capture-the-flag gameplay which is why a lot of the variables and names start with 'ctf'. Nowadays, it supports all kinds of gametypes including co-op and single-player so the 'ctf' bit is slightly misleading.

1) You should certainly be able to use the arma 2d editor to edit maps created using the wizard. The arma 3d editor shoudl also work though is a bit 'unfinished' I am told. If you can't see the maps you created the most likely explanations are..

a) You may be looking on the wrong island.

b) you created a map using the wizard in the MPMissions folder but are trying to use the single-player editor to view it. Maps in MPMissions can only be seen from the multi-player editor. In Arma, go to 'multiplayer', choose 'LAN', then 'New' and you should see a list of maps. Alternatively just use the wizard to open your mission then use "tools/open current mission in arma editor" to start arma with your mission loaded.

2) Oh yes it does! ;-) If it doesn't check your internet connection - you need to be online to access it.

2a) Hmm - can you explain what you mean by 'PsP' ?

2b) This is a question about the arma editor - sorry I don't know any way to remove buildings and trees.

2c) Press 'k' to bring up the compass (arma game feature)

2d) Friendly tags can be shown by turning on the appropriate setting in the wizard (IFF). I'm not sure what you mean by simple vs complex ? Distance could be controlled via a dialog but I would have to add it to the scripts.

2e) yes agreed, and on my list of things to add to the scripts.

Controls - Check out options/controls in arma where you can reassign keys and actions.