Sign in to follow this  
sbsmac

ANNOUNCE: PVP script pack released

Well, I haven't implemented your ideas yet I'm afraid but there are a few neat things in the latest version...

V1.11 now available - see first post for details.

---------- Post added at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 PM ----------

Twisted - just a quick question for you. What is your definition of capturing/holding a piece of ground ?

1) One team has more members within the area than the other team.

or

2) There are _only_ members of one team within the area

or

3) something else :-)

One of the reasons I've tended to use flags up to now is because they make it quite clear what the capture criteria are - areas are a bit harder to define. Can you give me examples of the way you'd like it to work or have seen it work in other games ?

Well, I haven't implemented your ideas yet I'm afraid but there are a few neat things in the latest version...

V1.11 now available - see first post for details.

---------- Post added at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 PM ----------

Twisted - just a quick question for you. What is your definition of capturing/holding a piece of ground ?

1) One team has more members within the area than the other team.

or

2) There are _only_ members of one team within the area

or

3) something else :-)

One of the reasons I've tended to use flags up to now is because they make it quite clear what the capture criteria are - areas are a bit harder to define. Can you give me examples of the way you'd like it to work or have seen it work in other games ?

In its purest form, occupying the ground would mean no enemy whatsoever on ground for X minutes. If enemy get on ground the timer stops. if enemy killed or driven back timers resumes.

if all occupying side destroyed, then the counter is reset.

that makes the ground strategically significant.

I think twisted wants something where it is...

Wipe out enemy in area.

Hold area without enemy for X minutes.

Area control changes to your team.

Next Area opens up in series.

I know I want that too....

Ok, I have a prototype of this working but need to integrate it into the C&H framework. May be a few days since I'll be taking some time off tomorrow for my birthday ;-)

Ok, I have a prototype of this working but need to integrate it into the C&H framework. May be a few days since I'll be taking some time off tomorrow for my birthday ;-)

have a good one then tomorrow mate. :)

edit. any plans on kit limiting? to promote teamplay.

plus perhaps having the next thing/flag to take OPTIONALLY show up as a waypoint or marker?

Also ability to define weapons per side one and side two

very important is to be able to define base weapon for side one and side two separately.

could you add an ammo only ammo box?

man i am enjoying how easy mp is to do with these scripts.

Edited by twisted

Hi sbsmac,

1st of all - thanks much with this template to use. I tried it and it worked nicely. I can appreciate the work this takes and the fact that you may get various requests and to some extent it could get frustrating or stessful (not sure if it does for you or not, but you get the idea).

I want to mention just a couple of things regarding arma 2 and what I have seen with the CQB style games and new players.

It looks like many are coming from BF or COD or coming back from rejecting arma 1 and looking for the PVP style play so what you're doing helps. 1 major gametype I would like to see structured nicely is TDM. For new players it needs to be dummied down as follows. I am writing this in a request format so if you think this is easy enough to write and you can do it, much appreciated, but no problem if you can't:

1. Game parameters should be Time limit & Kill limit to end the game (5 minutes, 10 minutes, 15 minutes, 20 minutes, 30 minutes, unlimited, 5 kills, 10 kills, 15 kills, 20 kills, 30 kills, unlimited)
  2. Time limit should be displayed on screen along with the score in an upper right corner (or available through the radio)
  3. Mini map should be made available so that players can see the boundaries when gaming (ctrl-M should bring it up)
  4. Players should all start with default kits and have weapon crates should they choose to change them. Make the kits the same for both sides so that people don't feel unblalanced based on weapon confort.
  5. Upon death players should respawn with same kit they chose to use if they switched to some other kit than what they defaulted with
  6. When there is 1 minute left a message should come up to inform players. That may be easy enough to do with a trigger.
  7. At the end have the winning team display along with score.

Some of these things I haven't been able to get work and some are simple in nature, but I think if we take a step back to see how TDM is on the other games (COD, BF, etc), I think the small groups that want to game in CQB action will enjoy...

Anyway - thanks again and happy gaming bud!!!

Grr - broke my collar bone yesterday getting a bit too enthusiastic on the mountain bike so things may slow down for a few weeks :-(

Tom, your feedback is much appreciated. You're right that a lot o work is going into this but at the end of the day if people are using it to make maps and the PVP community is stronger as a result, I'm happy. Getting suggestions and requests reassures me that there is interest so keep them coming :-)

To comment on some of the specific points:-

1) Agreed. There is currently a CTF_gamelength configuration variable which can be used to set the gamelength this but exposing it as a dialog would be better. Similarly for maxscore which is also needed for flag-based gamemodes.

2) Good idea to add it to the radio call. Someone else has suggested a persistent display for C&H mode. If anyone has some code or a map that implements this that they could point me to, it would be appreciated.

3) I haven't done anything special to disable the mini-map. Will have to look into this.

4&5) This should currently be the case. Note that the weapon selection is only 'frozen' as the player leaves their respawn zone (e/wSpawn). If you don't have these zones you won't see the effect. The reason is that number of grenades etc won't be reliable at time of death. However, sampling the weapon at death should be possible so I'l look at this.

6) Good idea - trivial to add.

7) Should already happen. If not, it's a bug - could you let me know what you see ?

Ouch on the collar bone bud - get well.....

The ending score does result with the team who wins. When I mentioned the mini map - I don't want it removed, but I can't get it to come up. If you could get those in the CTF and TDM aspects of the game that would be awesome.

One main reason I mentioned it should be simple in nature (dummied down) is because many know what TDM or CTF is, but if there are all sorts of jibberish options in the game it takes away from what the TDM gamers are used to.

At The U.R.C. we have a few TDM gamers who after some rounds of Berzerk just want to endulge in some small scale gun fire for a couple of rounds. I was trying to find a way to get the existing game's TDM functionality to work, but can't get to step 1 of that so it looks like we are going to have to use help from your coding expertise.

If you move forward on my request the games will be played no doubt in my mind. Berzerk, AAS, and Warfare is our bread & butter, but TDM would add to the nice rotation and even help bring about competition. Much appreciated even if you don't move on this.All good bud. :)

If you visit our site I am [uRC]FATMAN Take care...

Edited by Tom_Anger

Tom, can you point me towards a mission that uses a minimap so I can take a look at how it's done ?

Sorry to hear about your injury, hope you heal quick!

--what's with the illegal kills thing? When you hit esc and respawn it puts you where you died (if you were wounded it brings you to full health too? that could be exploited). I would like to change to normal respawn for all deaths.

--On the rearm script, how do I get it to rearm players with binoculars (or whatever they picked for those slots) and handguns?

--The spawn protection doesn't stop air units, I added a trigger with

{ _x setDamage 1; } foreach thisList;

in the On Act box. That seemed to work.

--I got my time limit option to work too finally. I added

titleParam2 = "Game Duration";
valuesParam2[] = {20,30,45,60,90,120};
defValueParam2 = 45;
textsParam2[] = { "20 Minutes" , "30 Minutes" , "45 Minutes" , "1 Hour" , "1.5 Hours" , "2 Hours" };

between the #ifdef GAMEMODE_CTF and #endif in the description.ext

and replaced

CTF_gameLength = 60*60 ;

with

if( param2 == 20  ) then { CTF_gameLength = 20*60 };
if( param2 == 30  ) then { CTF_gameLength = 30*60 };
if( param2 == 45  ) then { CTF_gameLength = 45*60 };
if( param2 == 60  ) then { CTF_gameLength = 60*60 };
if( param2 == 90  ) then { CTF_gameLength = 90*60 };
if( param2 == 120 ) then { CTF_gameLength = 120*60 };

in the ctfConfig.sqf

Now back to my hacking of scripts. It is still based on your scripts but I'm adding a few things as well...

--I also want a minimap now in the lower right corner (like sbs aas or berzerk). The mission uses the whole map and I think that would be very helpful. It is kind of turning into an 'all vehicle large scale ctf training mission' (even has target ranges in bases for noobs).

--I am trying to get a countdown timer to show time left (would look good under minimap)

Thanks again! (to you and about 20 other scripters I've been learning stuff from) :)

Edited by Mosh
more questions

1. Time limit should be displayed on screen along with the score in an upper right corner (or available through the radio)

Would love to add this to my maps also.

Thanks for all the time and effort, your pack is extremely useful and I'm very grateful.

Having tried to make a flag fight map, I have problems with the number of players. If I remove all the playable units as stated in the manual to leave just the player then my friend cannot join as its "full"

If I add playable units, so others can join in, then kills are shown as friendly fire and so any scoring is completely wrong.

Any help on these points is much appreciated.

Thanks for all the time and effort, your pack is extremely useful and I'm very grateful.

Having tried to make a flag fight map, I have problems with the number of players. If I remove all the playable units as stated in the manual to leave just the player then my friend cannot join as its "full"

If I add playable units, so others can join in, then kills are shown as friendly fire and so any scoring is completely wrong.

Any help on these points is much appreciated.

Are you adding the correct player units as in BLUFOR vs OPFOR.

@mosh

>-what's with the illegal kills thing?

Hmm- could be a bug. Do you get a message saying 'you have been killed illegally and have been resurrected' ?

>On the rearm script, how do I get it to rearm players with binoculars (or whatever they picked for those slots) and handguns?

I'll have to add this to the script - at the moment it only rearms primary weapons and grenades..

*Edit* I'm not sure how to tell if a player has binos etc - can anyone suggest a method ?

>The spawn protection doesn't stop air units

You mean it doesn't stop aircraft entering spawn or it doesn't stop players in aircraft killing people in spawn ? The former is deliberate, the latter is a bug!

>got my time limit option to work too finally

Nice one - I'm still planning to add 'proper' support for this.

>I also want a minimap now in the lower right corner (like sbs aas or berzerk)

Hmm - I haven't been able to find any info on the minimap. May have to look at the berzerk mission to see hwo it was done.

@mosh and anth

>I am trying to get a countdown timer to show time left (would look good under minimap)

I now have this working both on radio and as a persistent dialog in the corner of the screen. Will add this in the next release.

*edit*

what's with the illegal kills thing? When you hit esc and respawn it puts you where you died (if you were wounded it brings you to full health too? that could be exploited). I would like to change to normal respawn for all deaths.

I couldn't reproduce this. Can you explain what you are seeing in a bit more detail ?

Tobias, in a flagfight, it is all against all, just like in a DM. You should be getting points for killing other players. You are definitely doing the right thing in adding playable units rather than just having a single player unit. Are you suggesting that you are getting negative points for killing other players ?

Edited by sbsmac

Hmm- could be a bug. Do you get a message saying 'you have been killed illegally and have been resurrected' ?

Sorry, my bad... it only happens in your own spawn. I guess that is what you mean by:

You mean it doesn't stop aircraft entering spawn or it doesn't stop players in aircraft killing people in spawn ? The former is deliberate, the latter is a bug!

I understand how your spawn protection works now (it wasn't a bug like I thought, sorry). That's why you respawn right away where you died (if someone killed you in your own spawn, or in my case wrecking my jeep inside spawn, but far from base, and just trying to respawn myself so I didn't have to walk back to base)... I wanted to keep aircraft out as well though, so the trigger took care of that.

It's working how you wanted it to, I just didn't realize it.

I now have this working both on radio and as a persistent dialog in the corner of the screen. Will add this in the next release.
:)

Thanks for the replies, hope your feeling better, and I hope at least half of what I say makes sense!

This pack looks AWESOME. I've just read through the manual, and i'm planning on making some small PvP scenarios just to inject a bit of variety into servers.. hopefully it may inspire more talented mission designers to make more PvP maps!

Appreciate the work you've put into this, well done!

Hmm, I must be missing something really basic. I can't seen anything in the scripts for this mission at all which looks related to a mini-map. I've found a couple of refrerences in other threads to the mini-map being the result of enabling the sat-nav but I can't find any references to this either ! Anyone got any ideas ?

I understand how your spawn protection works now (it wasn't a bug like I thought, sorry). That's why you respawn right away where you died (if someone killed you in your own spawn, or in my case wrecking my jeep inside spawn, but far from base, and just trying to respawn myself so I didn't have to walk back to base)... I wanted to keep aircraft out as well though, so the trigger took care of that.

It's working how you wanted it to, I just didn't realize it.

Actually, I'm quite open to ideas to improve it ! The case you mention where you kill yourself inside a large spawn wasn't one that I had thought of and I think you are right that the correct behaviour should probably be to respawn you back at base rather than resurrect you in place. I'd also better like to protect against TK's in spawn. At the moment the team-killer will be instantly resurrected as well.

Edited by sbsmac

What's wrong with using the stock GPS? It's already there, can be stickied or dismissed at will and at least provides some semblance of a rationale for a mini-map.

To enable add ShowGPS=1; to description.ext and...

player AddWeapon ("ItemGPS");

...on spawn.

Ah ! Thank you Defunkt :-) I'd got to ShowGPS=1 but hadn't realised that you had to do the addWeapon. Ok, this will now be added to the next release....

Ive added

CTF_allowSilencedWeapons=true ;

CTF_allowGrenadeLaunchers=true ;

CTF_allowSniperRifles=true ;

CTF_allowMachineGuns=true ;

How do you add the aa launchers and rpgs? Am I missing somthing btw making a 3 flag c&h with your script pack.

Rockets not yet supported through the config options (the current ones were a bit of a last-minute addition.)

If you want rockets in this release you'll need to hack the scripts a bit. Look at ammo.sqf and add this line just above the call to allowDamage.

[_a,rockets] call addWeaponsToCrate ;

You should end up with somethign that looks like

} foreach allRifles ;

[_a,_r] call addWeaponsToCrate ;

[_a,rockets] call addWeaponsToCrate ;

_a allowDamage false ;

} ;

No guarantees that this will work but let me know if you have problems. I'll support this properly in one of the next releases. In a pinch you can just add a 'normal' ammo crate from the editor to get the RPGs etc.

BTW, are you still having problems with JIP weather ?

btw making a 3 flag c&h with your script pack.

Cool - look forward to seeing it :-) BTW, I have just reworked the C&H/AAS objectives system from the ground up so you can now have flag objectives or area objectives. Still haven't added the destroy/repair type but that is now quite easy to do.

Edited by sbsmac

didnt seem to work ammo crates dissappeared when I changed it. Will build the map then get the updated scripts when you have done them before release.

Jip no didnt work not really important was just trying to add it mine but my maps are clear apart from castle confusion but it sorta clear on there any way.

I am after a script not sure if its imortant to add to your pack it lifts vehicles using choppers its important on the map im making atm though.

Another problem I bumped into was the vehicle repsawn it works well if I move a vehicle then get out it goes back to the carpark but does not work if I destroy a vehicle is that working as intended?

Good bug report- thanks :-) Yes, at the moment vehicles only respawn after they have moved a certain distance away from their spawn point. But obviously if they are damaged they _should_ respawn regardless. I will fix this.