Sign in to follow this  
Merefield

For those with powerful machines still unable to play ArmA II

The simplest and most current solution is to replay/play ArmA 1!! :)

With my Core i7/GTX295/Win7RC/6Gig rig i get horrible unplayable stuttery performance with ArmA II....

...30 FPS would be fine if it were consistent, but YUK, its not! ...

...even the opening menu aircraft carrier automated fly-past is JUDDERVISION! ....

...But on ArmA 1 (Version 1.16 Beta) i can max everything out and its super smooth, with incredible view distance and terrain complexity, and no balance issue with AI seeing through eye-candy-ridiculous long grass which i can't do!

OK, its not the perfect solution, but will tie you over.

It was a pleasure to return to the smoothness of Arma 1 in fact.

Enjoy

PS BIS, please let us know when we can return to ArmA II, thanks!

With my Core i7/GTX295/Win7RC/6Gig rig i get horrible unplayable stuttery performance with ArmA II....

...even the opening menu aircraft carrier automated fly-past is JUDDERVISION! ....

...But on ArmA 1 (Version 1.16 Beta) i can max everything out and its super smooth, with incredible view distance and terrain complexity, and no balance issue with AI seeing through eye-candy-ridiculous long grass which i can't do!

Enjoy

Well, i'm running a C2D@3.2/GTX295/Vista32/2Gig with all in-game settings set to Very High (inc AA) apart from Post Processing and the menu attract mode with the carrier runs flawlessly at 1920x1200.

However, I run with Raptor 10k RPM HDs with the OS and Page on different physical drives to the game install and I also use Ultimate Defrag to move my Arma2 install folder to high performance (outside of the drive disc).

In addition i've installed the EVGA SLI patch.

Or install WIn xp...

I tried it all... and went ahead and installed Xp 64 over Vista... and what do you know.. runs like a fricking charm!

You wont find me downgrading to XP for a game anytime soon.

I will try windows 7 RC when I get home from work however, I have 8GB of ram and 1.79GB of ram on my video card alone.

If I reverted back to XP I would be loosing so much.

I will try windows 7 RC when I get home from work however, I have 8GB of ram and 1.79GB of ram on my video card alone.

You could dual boot ... now where's my old XP disk .... lol

This might sound like a daft question but do you have any links or help with setting up dual-boot? In all my time using PCs i've never bothered with it but with compatibility problems and the like I guess it doesn't hurt to have an option.

Any help is much appreciated.

This proofs once again my theory not to install Vista on my lovely XP computer. :dance1:

Yeah but for those who have a DX10 capable video card, staying on XP is tantamount to cutting off a reason why we have DX10 capable cards in the first place.

Maybe the DX10 on XP hack i've heard about might actually come to fruition at some point but with DX11 not far off...

Just how long did it take to get DX9 running stable? I will not even think about DX11 yet.

I can see your point but i've got an Nvidia 295 which is DX10 compatible and I have a number of games that take advantage of that fact.

Be a bit daft for me to revert back to Win XP and lose the extra graphical flair that DX10 affords me.

I find that servers with around 30ish players max run flawlessly for me.

It's only when I join the big servers 64 usually that everything goes to crap.

Enjoy

If you got to the cfg and change the 3d perfomance from default to 160000 it will bump your fps from 30 to 60 or 70

I was running an ati HD 4850 on very high with draw distance all the way up and i got about 20-30 fps then i did this fix and now it runs 70-80 fps i have never played a smoother game

Be a bit daft for me to revert back to Win XP and lose the extra graphical flair that DX10 affords me.

I am sorry for being (too) sarcastic, this must be typical of me and was not meant to be personal to anybody. So let me try to be more clear for my point of view. - ArmAII is not the only game which obviously has its bugs and maybe even more serious problems, even with Vista, but still you can see people coming to these forums who seem to be so unforgivable to BIS by

only blaming them that the game is not running like they wished it should be. So instead of thinking a bit ahead that there might be so many aspecs or reasons which come together in a computer system, those people use the predominantly way by coming here to blame the producers for all the problems the software causes first. Anyway - I see it like that - I have my computer system and will keep it as long until there might be some real innovation in sight with some potential of becoming a standard in the future. Until then, I'm not going to change any essential hardware or software like the operating system or by using beta drivers instead of offically released ones etc. All those things just clutters up the system just like all the threads in these forums until it will not operate anymore or becomes totally confusing. ;)

The demo runs pretty okay (around 28FPS)with the following settings:

viewdistance 3000, resolution 1536x1152 32bit

textures normal, graphic memory normal, anisotrophic filter normal, anti-aliasing off, terrain detail normal, object quality high, shadow quality high, post-process effects low (prefered)

My system:

Intel Core2 Duo E6750 @ 2.66Ghz, 2 GB RAM, ATI HD3780 256MB, Win XP Service Pack 3, 6 ch soundcard

*edit - what does "160000" stand for?

OK i just did this (created XP 32-bit system partition, set it up with latest Nvidia drivers) and guess what? Results were interesting!

Smooth game with almost everything except FSAA and Anisotropic on "Very High" @ 1920x1200!!

Of course, on XP you may lose out on some graphical nice-to-haves (are there DX10 optimisations?) but the scenes were so complex I couldn't tell.

So effectively this was an IDENTICAL setup, aside from running on XP 32-bit instead of Windows 7 RC 64-bit.

So now i'm thinking its either the DX10 path, Win 7 RC, or the Win 7 RC Nvidia drivers that are causing the problem.

I think we're closing in!!!

This pretty much proves its NOT the core game code, the GTX295 card or the Core i7 chip causing the problem.

So whilst a lot of ppl here are giving BIS a hard time, perhaps its the drivers afterall?!?

---------- Post added at 11:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 PM ----------

If you got to the cfg and change the 3d perfomance from default to 160000 it will bump your fps from 30 to 60 or 70

I was running an ati HD 4850 on very high with draw distance all the way up and i got about 20-30 fps then i did this fix and now it runs 70-80 fps i have never played a smoother game

This didn't work for me

Edited by Merefield

*edit - what does "160000" stand for?

i meant 180000 in cfg it will look like this

language="English";

adapter=-1;

3D_Performance=180000; {important part}

Resolution_Bpp=32;

Resolution_W=1280;

Resolution_H=1024;

refresh=75;

Render_W=1280;

Render_H=800;

FSAA=1;

postFX=2;

HDRPrecision=8;

lastDeviceId="";

localVRAM=1747976192;

nonlocalVRAM=1747976192;

Okay well, but I still have to ask what "3D_Performance=180000" in the config file stands for. It sounds very ambiguous to me.

No one needs to "move to XP just for one game". You can just install XP along side your other OS. Dual boot. Fire up XP for ARMA2 for now. Fire up other OS for the rest.

I agree ArmA1 is way ahead of ArmA2 atm, esp in terms of MP playability. I refuse to play ArmA2 until it runs smooth like ArmA1. Might be 2011 i guess.

No one needs to "move to XP just for one game". You can just install XP along side your other OS. Dual boot. Fire up XP for ARMA2 for now. Fire up other OS for the rest.

This i have concluded, is good advice.

But necessity might be short lived.

My bet is that Win 7 drivers just need an update to address preformance issues.

Given that ArmA II is the "game stress test" of the day i'm fairly sure Nvidia and friends will be focussing on it right now ...

I went ahead and just updated my vista to Windows 7 RC and have finally broke the 30fps wall that I've been having.

Multiplayer is an entierly different game now. I still have studders and small hiccups that I need to work out. But overall its working better.

It was not a fresh install, but rather an upgrade. So if my tweaking does not lead to a mesurable increase I think I will re-format and start fresh.

As I said in my very short reply.. XP X64.. you wont "loose" anything. I got a high end system with I7 965 Extreme, 6gb Ram, 2x295's, SSD discs and so forth... XP 64 uses this just fine...Only "problem" I had was finding drivers for all my unknown devices:-)

And off curse you want dualboot.. which may be very easy or a tad tricky to set up depending on your knowledge. If you have severeal partitions on your system... and e.g. a free "D" disc.. just install the other OS there.

BUT NOTE.. unless you want to mess around with boot managers and such.. install the oldes OS FIRST, and then the newest one.

E.G. Install XP on C drive.. then after install WIn 7 or Vista on D drive.. and it will automaticly give you an option of which os to boot when starting the machine.

I also have arma 2 installed on my Win 7 X64 RC.... and hopefully will only use that shortly, once patches and drivers come out and make it playablee for me.

And just as a side note.. FPS has never been an issue for me.. my game just kept crashing regardless. So I have the same awsome FPS in Xp as I have in Win 7.. difference is game is stable and dont crash. And I tried "all" tricks out there...

That said.. I DEFINATELY agree with those who think we let BIS "off the hook" to easy. I don't care what people say about complex game code and jada jada... Arma 2 is a beta version - PERIOD! Furthermore it is outrageous that I actually paid money to participate in a beta test!

Now if they gameplay wasnt so good I would for sure dump this game.. but that was the sole reason for my now 3 weeks and loads of hours trying to get this game running!

On Vista or Win 7... ANY game runs like a charm, straight out of the box.. no modding, fixing or patching whatsoever.. Americas Army 3.. COD... Crysis.... Crysis Warhammer.. they all run flawless on 1920x1200 with all settings on ultra high.

"End rant"..

But at least.. now I can play... and XP x64 was my only solution. Bet 32bit also works just fine, but I wanted to use my ram:-)

As I said in my very short reply.. XP X64.. you wont "loose" anything.

<SNIP>

Bet 32bit also works just fine, but I wanted to use my ram:-)

So ArmA II doesn't have any DX10 enhancements?

XP and Win 7 LOOK the same on all settings?

Yes, as i said, 32 bit XP works well with ArmA II - it runs smooth as butter on my 920 Core i7/GTX295/6Gig rig, just not when i boot to Windows 7 RC, which is a shame, but i look forward to updated drivers

I don't mind only 30FPS if its consistent, just not the present JUDDERVISION, its unbearable in Win 7

I do not think Vista is to blame. I am using Vista x64 on my primary development computer and it is running great for me. You should definitely get better performance with the setup you have, as it is even superior to what I have. For comparison, my current setup is:

Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4 GHz

nVidia 8800 GT

8 GB RAM

Vista x64

It might be some incompatibility between some of your drivers or system components - this is really hard to tell.

Well if you read the above, Suma doesn't seems to think that there isn't a problem with Vista. However, I have Vista also and the game is unplayable for me at 16 - 25 fps.