Sign in to follow this  
alpharesearch

HD LED constantly on... would raid 0 help with better frame rate?

I have winxp home with 3.5 GB RAM and a GTX260 with 900MB RAM... if I play campaign (Manhattan for example) my FPS (fraps) ~22 and the HD is on all the time... if I just play the FPS like 50... every thing is on very high all the time.

To me it looks like maybe a raid system would improve the situation. I guess I would need to upgrade xp home to pro to get raid 0... it would be possible.

Can some one confirm my thoughts? Is this true or not?

Is there any other way like a large RAM HD caching program like DOS/win 3.1 smartdrive... does anybody know anything about such a program?

Thanks,

Markus

I've run it under Raid 0 and haven't noticed any difference but I don't have a bottleneck on the CPU (hard drive doesn't read often)

Try loading Arma 2 with -maxmem=2047, to make sure it's using the full allowed memory amount, and other than that, if you're drive is defragged and isn't too overloaded with junk then you shouldn't be getting a bottleneck there.

A better solution than Raid 0 may be to get a second drive for storage and keep your games drive with only games/operating system on it. XP doesn't like running on a cluttered hard drive, even when it's completely defragged, especially if it's a large drive or a drive with many partitions (especially cheaper IDE drives)

I am running raid 0 with 4 drives does help the HDD thrashing but doesnt help Texture Pop Lod or the general performance as much

And yes it hardware raid not software raid so it has its own Cache and PROC instead of 100% stealing from CPU in system

For my part: I _imagine_ after installing Raid0 the stuttering lessened a bit.

But as I said this could be pure imagination.

For my part: I _imagine_ after installing Raid0 the stuttering lessened a bit.

But as I said this could be pure imagination.

i can back up that im on raid 0 now

but i dont get more frames