Sign in to follow this  
Sergeant Poop

What's your favorite SNIPER/MARKSMAN rifle, and why?

I prefer the SVD. With practice i can hit targets at 1200 as easily as with an m24, its a kill shot for a much longer range than the spr, the bullet doesn't drop like an assault rifle, and its effective at close range. Although, the point about the sniper shot sound is a good one.

That's just another thing illustrating how kickasstically realistic this game is. I can't think of another army game where you can tell so much from the sound of the shots (except, maybe, Project Reality).

M16A4 is my favorite, it doesn't do great damage at long range, but it is the definitely the most fun weapon! DMR is the secondary choice!

really like the DMR have always been a fan of the m14/m21 series.

cant go wrong with a m4 or m16 with an acog though.

i rarely used bolt action rifles since im not a good shooter at all

DMR suits me the best,it has a greater range than M16 and more fire power.

plus its semi-automatic

why doesn't anyone like the hunting rifle? :(

poor hunting rifle :(

why doesn't anyone like the hunting rifle? :(

poor hunting rifle :(

i like it :)

I am not a fan of it. Its functionally great but for some reason it just feels weak. Generally, if i snipe at all i avoid the .50s unless I'm hitting at 1500-3000m

I only use the .50's for taking out chopper pilots, nothing better than taking out a loaded chopper from 1000 meters+

The M249 with the Acog in ACE was the best, full auto sniping...

I'm still looking for my perfect sidekick.

For now I play a lot with DMR, M24 (distance) and M4A1 ACOG (close combat) but whenever I find an SVD or Vintorez on the enemy I will take it. I had some bloody hard times with the SPR the other day, hits showed blood but after 10 or more hits the enemy would still survive so either the weapon isn't effective at 800m range or there was enormous lag.

Barrett was my fav in Delta Force days but it hasn't had much use for me in Arma (big hit on loadout slots too)

Edited by Snowwhite

Ya, once the 5.56 slows down it becomes significantly less effective. 10 shots seems a little extreme even for 800m but i guess it depends where you hit him and if body armor does anything in the game. I still cant decide, sometimes it seems like it does but most of the time not.

Personally i prefer the SVD as its a semi-automatic sniper rifle and i dont have to wait for my shots to reload after every shot while im trying to pick out a target. I also like the M40,Hunting Rifle and DMR for sniping aswell

My favorite one has to be the PKP .

+ 7.62 x 54 rounds = same ammo as SVD = Decent Range

+ 4 x Optics mean you will have no difficulty sighting targets 600m away.

+ Large box magazine means you can very quickly fire follow up shots should you miss.

The US 5.56 x 45 rifles have a range of around 300 to 400m in ARMA.

I love girls

It's so refreshing to see this on these forums... thank you. :D

Now on topic; IMO if you are gonna do things right, it's gotta be the hunting rifle.

Edited by Big Dawg KS

50 cal of course, 1 hit kills at any range is irreplaceable when the only effective cost is losing your anti-tank slot (which wasn't your purpose anyway if you picked sniper). If you want anti-tank slot, though, M24 PvP (assuming it's modeled realistically for more damage/accuracy, at least it seems to be) and DMR in COOP (more ammo than M24). If the game was fully realistic though I'd probably avoid sniping in the firstpalce, but right now it's too common to have engagements well over the effective range of assault rifles, with no way of advancing due to not enough natural cover (such as rocks), so the only solution is sniping or dying.

Camo Dragunov SVD or the M21DMR, depending on which side I'm playing.

Either one is good, I find 5.56 doesn't have much punch above the 200m mark, and I do love the 'boom headshot' capacity of the semi-auto DMR's rather than the bolt actions, because moving targets are a bitch for un-co snipers such as myself.

A-10.

(or maybe SVD Dragunov (Used in Stalker, modded into Fallout3, and useful in Arma 2)):)

For sniping it's easily the M24 or M40. Bolt action and not overpowered ftw.

As a marksman it'd probably be the Dragunov. I like its optics.