Sign in to follow this  
MBot

[SP]Romeo Four

romeo.jpg

http://cid-f33d8b1019e6f4ac.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/%5BSP%5DRomeoFour.Chernarus.pbo

or

http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?cat=solo&id=74&setlang=en

or

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6332

AH-1Z mission to provide CAS to Romeo 4. Includes interaction and instructions by a ground FAC and spoken radio messages.

Edited by MBot

Great to see an air mission, cheers Mbot.

Having a problem, though. Nothing happens when I get to the combat area. No bad guys, no friendlies. I've flown around Brezeeenio [sp!], landed, gotten out, flown some more. It's empty. There's nobody on the radio, no channels to choose from.

Have also flown high, low, fast and slow around the red shaded area.

Nada.

I do get a co-pilot message to initiate contact with the FAC, but nothing comes up when I hit the communication key.

I must be missing something basic :)

I do get a co-pilot message to initiate contact with the FAC, but nothing comes up when I hit the communication key.

Ok, that's odd. It worked for a friend that tested the mission (and obviously also for me). Did you check the comms menu in the quick command menu or the one in the complex menu (should be this one).

Edit: Just tested it again, the mission works fine on my machine. Access the radio menu via the "0"-Key.

Edited by MBot

Yes, tried it and it works fine as far as comms go. Once you get to the area of operations, romeo 4 contacts you and you have to reply to get the ball rolling and have the FAC give you the co-ords of the target. As MBot said, use the radio option in the menus along with comms and the reply option.

MBot, really liking this mission so far. I've managed to kill the first targets but when Romeo 4 comms on the air and tells me to go for the next target which is "100-200m South of the green smoke along the treeline" I can't see a thing, target wise?.

Flew criss-cross around the immediate area and looked South from the green smoke but I can't see any targets. Any hints?. :D

Well, you don't need to see anything :) Just run your fire along the treeline 100-200m south of the smoke and enjoy the show. The FAC will tell you when your fire is on target and when it is enough. Glad you like it so far.

This treeline?. It begins South of the smoke, or am I far too close?. Am I supposed to look for a treeline a lot further South from the green smoke?.

2lbndw5.jpg

Yes that is the correct one. If you are having trouble judging the distances in the terrain it is a good idea to compare the terrain with the map. The map grids should give you a good idea how far 50m or 100m or Xm are. Of course you have to find the position of the smoke on your map, but working with the map is part of doing FAC-CAS:)

Nice little mission.

Was littlebit lost at the beginning co's me and my gunner couldn see any hostiles, but i got the hang of it after a while :)

Hope to see more helicopter missions soon, i like flying helos... atleast in 3rd person when i can see better :), have to practise more in first person.

Thanks for the help. :)

Going by my judgement, 100-200m on that treeline starts from approx where the little grey shed is about halfway down. So I assume I am right in thinking I just fly down that treeline and loose off cannon rounds into it as I go in a straight line, then turn around and repeat?. How often do I need to do that as I have been up and down it a good few times now but had no messages from Romeo 4 to say I am on the right tracks. :confused:

Draeger[OwP];1360549']

Going by my judgement' date=' 100-200m on that treeline starts from approx where the little grey shed is about halfway down. So I assume I am right in thinking I just fly down that treeline and loose off cannon rounds into it as I go in a straight line, then turn around and repeat?. How often do I need to do that as I have been up and down it a good few times now but had no messages from Romeo 4 to say I am on the right tracks. :confused:[/quote']

Yes that position sounds about right. Try to vary your strafing runs a bit, run your fire some meters offset from the previous one to cover different ground. Sometimes I get it on the first run, sometimes I need 3-4 runs on the treeline. If you don't get anywhere with the cannon you can also use the rockets which should be easier to get the kills. But be careful close to the friendlies.

This mission is really annoying...

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 PM ----------

I can clearly see the enemy but my gunner dont have him in target list!

It wasn't bad, but there wasn't any challenge and I didn't have the feel that there was any fighting on the ground. Maybe you could add more soldiers/armor and some AA units?

There is only one challenge in this mission...

This misson has bad name it should be called "Find Waldo 200m south from green smoke!" and I didnt!

---------- Post added at 10:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 PM ----------

Ok manual fire is working fine and rockets! I finally did....

There is only one challenge in this mission...

This misson has bad name it should be called "Find Waldo 200m south from green smoke!" and I didnt!

---------- Post added at 10:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 PM ----------

Ok manual fire is working fine and rockets! I finally did....

You are giving CAS, you are not supposed to see your targets. The purpose of CAS is to put firepower on the point the FAC tells you since it is the FACs job to direct your fire. You are basically doing the flying artillery thing. I guess it is more of a mission for the flightsim crowd that is looking for realistic procedures.

@MBot: Don't let yourself be discouraged by non constructive critizism. There are numerous players out there (like me) who likes this realistic and logistic approach to gaming. But we usually want to try things a couple of times before we post. Personally I'm gonna try it again tomorrow, and then get some sleep. Good night.

@MBot: Don't let yourself be discouraged by non constructive critizism. There are numerous players out there (like me) who likes this realistic and logistic approach to gaming. But we usually want to try things a couple of times before we post. Personally I'm gonna try it again tomorrow, and then get some sleep. Good night.

It wasn't critizism... it was more like crying because I tried so hard to find those bad guys and to be honest I expected that I will pop some tanks :(

But I must say that I like your mission even after all. Iam glad that I trained my low height chopper flying when I was searching and I really like radio communication with ground units!

Works. I was using the wrong comm key - I = dummy. All good!

My only complaint (which is really a compliment) is that it was too short. I enjoyed it a lot every time I played it. Looking forward to more!

Lovely mission, requires a sharp head and a great deal of patience.

Third playthrough.... All I can say is mate... Make more of missions in this style! Finally I feel the attack helicopters of OFP/ARMA coming to their rights. Slow-paced realistic feeling CAS engagements. A campaign or a mini campaign in the shoes of an AH-1 pilot over Chernarus in this style of play would be ace.