Sign in to follow this  
OChristie

ArmA and ArmA 2 Joint Terrain Project - Baucau, East Timor

Terrain Project for ArmA and ArmA2 working on Baucau, East Timor

INFORMATION

===========

Hello Folks, Recently I have been inspired by various videos, screenshots other material to act on a passion that I have for Mapping a Tropical Location. Now some of you may think, 'Why not Map Carribean or Africa etc', and you are right, but, mapping a large area of East Timor covers, desert, grass, woodland, mountains, 1 airstrip, 2 towns. So I though, GREAT. I set out trying to aquire data for East Timor some months ago, but to no avail as Google Earth's Sat Image is shite. Also finding elevation Data for anywhere other than the US in decent quality is extremely hard to find unless you want to spend ALOT of money.

So about 3 Days ago after much waying the pro's and con's I decided to purchase:

Standard: QuickBird Imagery of Baucau, East Timor

Resolution: 0.6m (2' Foot) Pan-Sharpened Color

Distance Covered: 25km2

And after using various techniques for creating a DEM of the area, I have a pretty decent/accurate heightmap of the area, which leads me to my next point.

I plan to recreate this amazing area to a geo-specific standard. My aim of this whole project was to give the community of ArmA/ArmA2 the chance to play a map that is also used by the Australia Defence Force in VBS2, see these pictures:

East Timor 1

East Timor 2

East Timor 3

I hope that this project can come to life and put itself in the Bohemia Interactive History Books as a truely amazing piece of art.

Looking Forward to heering from you all.

OChristie

Edited by OChristie

After looking at those pictures, 'wow' is a word that springs to mind. I can't wait for this one.

You posted it today, lol. I think people need a little more time than that...

Personally, I have no patience for map making.

Good luck with that. It looks like a great map for ArmA 2. Pity they wont share the VBS2 version.

Early W.I.P Shots of Baucau, East Timor taken in VBS2 with ADF Entities, After 29 Hours of Straight Development

etscreen5.jpg

etscreen6.jpg

etscreen7.jpg

etscreen8.jpg

Tell me what ya think :)

Looking real good, malaysian policemen are stationed there as well. before that some malaysian paratroopers also sent there. Now only policemen (I think).

Cant wait to see it in ARMA2. I wish you all the best.

On a side note, does chernarus also 25km2 or was that sahrani that's 25km2?

[edit] Just trying to visualize the size of this thing

Edited by Mr_Centipede

Looks fine but I don't understand why screenshots here are in very low quality though they have size as high-quality screens. Maybe it would be fine to put small but high-quality screenshots in the thread?

I think you are right, I will sort out those problems soon, i just used InfraViews Size plugin.

High-Res are available.

10 Min Video Demonstrating the new Terrain - Quality is average but not much I could do.

Ah sorry, that because the video is still processing on Youtube, give it a lil bit of time it sohlud be ok.

awesome work man, i am really impressed.. wish was something I could do to help but my skills and time is limited and not really of any help for you I think. But I will make sure i get to play alot on missions and to release some..

Thank you very much, always good to have a supporter or 2 :)

10 Min Video Demonstrating the new Terrain - Quality is average but not much I could do.

You only need to use the last part of the URL to inbed video (press quote button on my post to see the code).

IRo_O7xtFmU

-----------------------

Looks very cool.

It seems to have some hills/mountains from the VBS shots? I would like to see aerial shots/video (in A1 or A2 engine) of the sat map from small/medium/high up. Would be cool also to see a small picture (like 1024x1024) of the height map to see what the overall terrain is like.

Ah thank you very much for the tip :)

The pictures that have the VBS2 waterwark on is pictures from the East Timor terrain's for VBS2 restricted to the ADF, a terrain which I do not have access too, my terrain is based on a flat plateau 4550m x 4550m giving 25km2, a large map but still detailed.

Medium quality JPEG of Sat Mask for my Terrain.

resampled-18km.jpg

---------- Post added at 12:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 AM ----------

I am looking for an excellent Combat Photographer who could possibly take some great screenshots of my new map, access to beta's and other things will be granted in return.

Link to terrain thread: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=79440

Please PM me if you would like ago :)

looks good mate, I noticed that you dont post much on the vbs2 boards, but i can understand why

(you seemed to draw alot of fire from a few peeps there :868::681: ;) )

My pics arnt that great, but let me know if you want Arma/Arma2/VBS2 pics or just another beta tester for your work on any or all of those platforms.

keep it up :ok: