Sign in to follow this  
Snowwhite

Your Multiplayer Grass Detail and View Distance Settings

Your Multiplayer Grass detail and View Distance settings?  

186 members have voted

1. 1. Your Multiplayer Grass detail and View Distance settings?

• Server Default (mostly No Grass with 900 or 1500m View Distance)
    • No Grass / View Distance 1500m
    • No Grass / View Distance between 1500m & 3000m
    • No Grass / View Distance above 3000m
    • Medium Grass / View Distance 1500m
    • Medium Grass / View Distance between 1500m & 3000m
    • Medium Grass / View Distance above 3000m
    • Full Grass / View Distance 1500m
    • Full Grass / View Distance between 1500m & 3000m
    • Full Grass / View Distance above 3000m

How would this "fix" work when the grass doesn't fully cover you, though? Say you're fully "inside" the grass but have some kind of "opening" (such as flattened grass or simply a small gap in the grass) that you can watch/shoot out of? In that case you'd see your enemy but be invisible to him, which is the exact same problem we have today except the other way around.

How would this "fix" work when the grass doesn't fully cover you, though? Say you're fully "inside" the grass but have some kind of "opening" (such as flattened grass or simply a small gap in the grass) that you can watch/shoot out of? In that case you'd see your enemy but be invisible to him, which is the exact same problem we have today except the other way around.

Usually the top of the helmet or gun, etc... (ie a lil bit of the soldier) is visible. Provided the grass layer rendered at distance is not uniform, the hidden guy is not obvious, but still visible

does anyone know if BIS plan to correct grass issue in future patches or not? I mean that far distance units are still visible clearly, and it makes pleasure worse.

Forcing somebody to play COOP with grass ON who chose to play without grass because his PC can't run ArmA2 smoothly is just pathetic. You're setting him back by -10fps or more.

This has kept me from playing MP lately. I get headaches after playing with 20fps for 15mins. That and since the grass has no gameplay value against AI it's not even worth discussing.

Forcing grass ON via server or mission on a coop server is pure ignorance.

I don't see the point of this poll as every server (or almost every server?) forces its own settings.

Hi,

I went into this problem yesterday.

I've tried to set terrainGrid in the .armaprofile of a dedicated server, and discovered that it is not taken into account. It's a client-only setting.

ATM, I've solved the problem using the DOACS approach:

1. Installing @CBA on the server, using only ExtendedEventHandlers PBO.
  2. Putting on the server only, an addon that implement the DOACS server-to-client code injection:
    • create a GameLogic, automatically broadcasted to clients
    • set its init line to that code
    • process that init on all the clients

[*] The code is read from a file named server.sqf, that resides only on the server DTA folder.

This is the config.cpp: (lines are break for clarity, it should be one line only for server_sqf_postinit)

class CfgPatches {
   class server_sqf {
units[]   = {};
weapons[] = {};
requiredVersion = 1.0;
requiredAddons[] = {"Extended_EventHandlers"};
   };
};

class Extended_PostInit_EventHandlers {
   server_sqf_postinit="private[""_s"",""_c"",""_g"",""_l""];
_s = preprocessFileLineNumbers ""\dta\server.sqf"" ;
_c = createCenter sideLogic ;
_g = createGroup _c ;
_l = _g createUnit [""LOGIC"", [0,0,0], [], 0, """"];
_l setVehicleInit _s ;
processInitCommands";
};

The DTA\server.sqf

setTerrainGrid 50

It works in JIP too.

Hope it helps,

alef

no grass, 8k view, where possible.

I just hate the way in MP it limits your viewdistance.

My computer has the enough power to show grass and maximum distance, however, full grass would give me a disadvantage over someone that is playing without grass. It would make it harder for me to spot someone hiding in the brushes and they would be able to see me easily.:bounce3:

No grass, ~3000m view distance.

Grass is a disadvantage, and a slight (not as big as A1) performance drop. I've played the game long enough without grass (it only lasted a few months in A1, and I suspect the same for A2).

---

Grass settings is purely mission side, it cannot be changed by pushing "T" in maps that do not run that script set (mostly missions other then Domination, Evolution).

You can set the server default in its config, but that is immediately over ridden by mission side scripts, unless there is a broadcast after the initialisation of the player (hopefully theirs no modifiers as well).

full grass, 2000m view distance. dont get the full effect without full grass. i dont notice drop in performance from having grass or not. my specs are AMD phenom 810 quad, ATI HD4870 1g video card and 4 gigs memory. on a 22" screen at 1680x1050, everything on high except object, terrain, and shadow those are on normal.

Edited by Raznor09

No Grass & 10000 distance (yes 10k)

Full Grass, Distance usually 3500m or more.

1920x1080 @ Everything very high, except AA = off (Haven't really played with the settings yet, but you have to be fucking crazy to enable Adaptive AA in Arma, at least in theory :D ), textures/vidmem = High, HDR = Low (Low, since I like the blur on objects in the distance & HDR is properly applied to cloud formations, hud, & glass; high/very high setting makes the game world look unatural, gives an impressing that you're fighting in 50c heat on some desert landscape.)

Phenom II 2x 550 @ stock

XFX 4890 @ Stock, Cat 9.8

4 GB 1333 mhz @ 7-7-7-18 timings

Win 7 64 bit

EDIT: I've played with grass off for a while, but the game/terrain looks f-ing awful with vegetation off; even if you're at a disadvantage, you should enable grass. :D

:yay:

Edited by Iroquois Pliskin
Grass/noGrass debate