Sign in to follow this  
shrew77

Arma Joystick.

Hey guys I was just wondering (Im new to this beautiful game) if I could get a question answered about the controls. I have been a PC FPS shooter for many years, and I feel kinda weird having to say this but the controls appear too flimsy for me while shooting. Although I realize this is to prevent more realism in the game, I guess Im not up to the level of ability to conquer it yet. Are there any joysticks or controllers you know of that will currently assist with the game for sure? If there is none for infantry options, what is a joystick that works for flying? Thanks.

PS If you're pretty knowledgable about CPU and GPU along with computers and RAM, please please email me at bigpacerfan031@yahoo.com or on AOL Instant messenger at Guitarhero707. Thank you Thank you.

Any PC compatible joystick will work for flying. The game has full support for controllers, you can configure them for anything really.

For infantry, mouse + keyboard is still the best in my opinion. You could use a gamepad if you want, but your aiming will be crap.

Edited by Maddmatt

Im looking at some peoples gameplay on Youtube, I see the gun follow the crosshairs, and the default setting is for it to be a little flimsy, like not delayed, but a longer turn. Is there an option to turn that off for a direct, sharper turn?

If you are having trouble with unresponsive controls like i did when i first booted it, increase your mouse sensitivity substantially. If you feel it strange that the gun moves without your entire character moving, turn down the float zone to zero in options. I would also highly suggest turning down the head bob until barely noticeable or off all together. As said above all joysticks should work. Game pad controllers may or may not work from a functional aspect, but considering that Arma 2 has far too many controls than can be mapped on a Gamepad that even if it did work it would be less functional. I hope this helps you get acclimated.

oh ok thank you. Do you know anyone who would be willing to answer any questions about computer specs? I kinda know the direction i want to go in but not totally sure and need some advise. any friends?

for flying i use a speedlink black widow joystick, its only £20 GBP and works a treat..

also if you head over to our community site http://nextgensoldiers.co.uk we have members including myself who are heavy into building our own pc's... ive built my own for about 10 years now or just add me on ngsbeej@hotmail.co.uk

What manberries said should help you a long way. Another thing you may want to consider is using a mouse with little weights and customizable resolution. I am using a Logitech G5, but probably other brands offer simliar features. You also need enough frames per second and, if playing online, a good connection to the server. It is next to impossible to hit an opponent who jumps erratically over your screen.

For flying I use an old Saitek X36 combo which dates back to my time as a flight simmer. I would not buy a HOTAS system for ArmA, though, because the aircraft controls in ArmA are just basic, compared to flight simulations. A simple twistable stick (for rudder control) with a throttle and a few buttons should be good enough for ArmA.

Edited by Alpha-Kilo

I just started working at a hobby store in Sweden and got a free RC simulator + usb controller for training purposes. It works awesomely in ArmA2 for flight and on landings and can be put aside very quickly, the only minus is that there are no buttons on it so I'm kinda stuck on pure troop transport as firing any weaponry is not possible.

I'm using my old and trusty MS Sidewinder for flying and driving tanks. Working perfectly fine.