Sign in to follow this  
Dead3yez

FPSHelper v1.2

Did it work?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Did it work?

• Yes, worked well! I use it.
    • It is OK, but not worth using.
    • Didn't help, no change in performance.
    • It's crap! Where'd my precious graphics go!?

Decided to post this addon over here as I think it may be useful to a lot of ArmAII players, with low-end systems. Also, secondary to that I need people to test it, find problems, give feedback etc. So, here it is...

3321-fpshelper12t.jpg

ArmAII - FPS Helper v1.2 created by Dead3yez

Tested with Exe version: 1.02.58134

Description:

This addon is a small config designed to increase the visual performance of ArmA II. It does so by removing and reducing the quality of various aspects of the game. The addon is designed for those who have troubles running the game with good performance or so that other settings my be pushed higher. It only works on Utes and Chernarus. Note that future versions are impending.

Features:

- Lower (smaller) grass

- Grass rendering altered

- Grass clusters are less dense

- Less dust produced from vehicles on land

- "removed" animations from grass

- Wildlife removed from Chenarus and Utes

- Removed some blurs

- Glossiness removed from water and other surfaces

- removed some UVsources

- Removed mid range ground texture

Features to be implemented:

- Removing the animations from trees and bushes

- Spread grass out to avoid odd patches

- Options to change settings

- Binarize and sign

Issues:

- More visible to AI (untested)

- Does not work properly with some addons, unless executed in this order

E.g -mod=@FPShelper;@mod2;@mod3

- Sometimes patchy grass gives bad appearence

Without the addon:

http://www.armaholic.com/datas/users/3321-fpshwithout.png

With:

http://www.armaholic.com/datas/users/3321-fpshwith.png

3-animation.png

Edited by Dead3yez

YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!

thanks mate for your work :yay:

I am getting 27\33 fps with my prescott 3.4. single core.

ALthough i have to say that there is a price to pay: sometime i have the impression to play with opf (which is fine for me after all)

However, thanks for the addon :bounce3:

Edit----

After a longer test, i have to confirm that i get no improvment in the city

Edited by Eymerich

Nice addon mate and it makes the game more ejoyable for me :), quick question does it run ok with 1.03?

No problems found yet. But haven't played 1.03 that much yet.

Yup.... totally agree Curser. If you can't play with grass on go back to A1 :) OOOOOOoooh controversial !

Yup.... totally agree Curser. If you can't play with grass on go back to A1 :) OOOOOOoooh controversial !

Not everyone has ArmA1, and there are so many features in ArmA2 (other than grass and graphics in general) that people are interested in. Thanks for feedback :j:

Not everyone has ArmA1, and there are so many features in ArmA2 (other than grass and graphics in general) that people are interested in. Thanks for feedback :j:

Exactly, keep up the good work Dead3yez. I want to play ArmA2 but can't because of those awesome graphics meeting my not so awesome laptop. But there's more to ArmA2 over ArmA1 than graphics.

In terms of my feedback - I notice a small, but none the less worthwhile difference with this.

This mod still being worked on? Looking forward to having the option to adjust settings.

This mod still being worked on? Looking forward to having the option to adjust settings.

When I have something new to add, I will just create separate modules for each setting. Then you can choose which .pbo / setting you want to use.

This would be Handy to me But my only FPS killers is the sea and forests =/ edit I think im still going to try this its quite handy =p altho is it multiplayer compatible ( that you still can get on servers who dont have this )

Edited by thierry007

Thank you really much for this add-on mate!

Kroon! :bounce3:

Didn't help for me.

P4@3.0Ghz, 2Gb ddr400, ATI X1950pro 512mb

x1950 pro? a new graphics card is needed in your case :( sorry to break it to yah.

I know, new hole hardware is needed.

Time will come, but until then i have to use it :rolleyes:

It helped me quite a bit, I just don't like how blurry the ground is or the water surface tweaks. Also on your next release could you also release the bikey as a separate link for admins.

Making grass smaller? This sounds like CHEATING or even HAXING, hope this "addon" (hax) dont work on multiplayer servers that dont allow haxing.

Servers can choose to not have it working yes. Some public servers allow everything (bad idea), and many servers allow nothing. Only with a team/clan you can choose what you want/need that everyone is happy with.

So go on servers that doesnt allow addons (FPS Helper addon) and your good. Oh also SapClutter addon by SgtACE wich lowers the grass. :)

Some public servers allow everything (bad idea), and many servers allow nothing.

And almost no servers are in between!

Decided to post this addon over here as I think it may be useful to a lot of ArmAII players, with low-end systems. Also, secondary to that I need people to test it, find problems, give feedback etc. So, here it is...

I Have a Top end Quad core, 4870x2, 4 gigs of RAM, and one of the best gaming mobos in the industry... and I'm still installing this. ARMA 2's optimization is utter SHIT.

:)

I Have a Top end Quad core, 4870x2, 4 gigs of RAM, and one of the best gaming mobos in the industry... and I'm still installing this. ARMA 2's optimization is utter SHIT.

:)

Correction.

You are shit at optimising your own machine.

This mod can come in handy for the very low end (when you come to the point you are sure you can do no more to improve performance at your end its time to remove detail from the engine.)

If you need to use it at the mid-high end then i'm afraid it means you are inept.

Correction.

This mod can come in handy for the very low end (when you come to the point you are sure you can do no more to improve performance at your end its time to remove detail from the engine.)

If you need to use it at the mid-high end then i'm afraid it means you are inept.

No, he is still right arma2 isn't optimised at all for higher end machines.

my system isn't that high, but unfortunately for me and arma2 I have sli and we all know the problems with that.

25 fps in the largest town is unacceptable for $800 graphics card, I'm running with many graphics tweaks FPShelper etc that this game looks a hell of a lot worse that Arma1 did for me!

I have a 9800Gx2 that eats all other games alive, yet is a pile of shit in Arma2, it's not the newest card, but when people have '260's with better performance you know something is wrong.

I still love arma2 tho :) gameplay is great and I'm sure just lke Arma1 the magical optimization will come one day.

Southy

Correction.

[...]

What a jerk .. :j:

I'm of those "shit, inept" guys who have some serious fps issues with Arma2, I won't call myself incapable judging how the computer I builded handles well all others high end games, not mentioning a fresh install and my 10 years of computer gaming experience.

Even if some people here still say that this game works like a charm, for me it's pretty clear that it does not especially on "new" hardware. But hey nothing new I've been playing this since Ofp in 2001, back then it was working better on my syster's outdated computer than on my hardware fanatic uncle's 20000 Francs computer.. :butbut:

So thanks Dead3yez for this useful addon, for now. :)

Edited by dunedain

I'm not one for using Mods....I'm just too lazy to create shortcuts, and really I want to get as much out of the official content as possible before using any add-ons. But...

...I thought I'd give this FPS Helper a go. Brilliant, I can actually do a few air unit based missions without plotting my route to avoid any type of building, and having my visibility reduced so it looks like I'm in infinite land, (or climbing so high I cant see anything anyway)! Great mod mate..good one.