Sign in to follow this  
TheMonster

Could this be possibly the best game in history?

:) Wow, besides the bugs...this could be the most thought up and displayed game I have ever seen. Bugs are..."bugging" a lot of people, lol, but this game amazes me. And I have only played the demo. :bounce3: This game has some of the best things from all games incorporated into it. That's all I am going to say. :D

maybe not best game in history, but 1 of the best for me atleast. ive been waiting for a game like this for a long time. i thought games like bf2, would offer great teamplay and fun, but it didnt. they always show what people want in a game in trailers or previews, but when it actually comes out, its never like that. so i believe i have found the game that ive been looking for. my only complain is that there is alot of time spent getting to places or waiting for stuff or other palyers in the game. i noticed that is a close quarters combat mode, ive tried it once and it was fun, both teams were in one central town or city and duked it out, taking out the long waits and travels like on the regular map.

Guest Ti0n3r

I have to agree with you, one of the best games I've played. Even better than OFP when it came out :upside:

Indeed, this game deserves some credit too, instead of all the negative comments on bugs and performance.

Another vote here for n1 game of all time!

I haven't had this much fun since Delta Force.

:) Wow, besides the bugs...

Umm, yea. Besides the bugs.

I think this game is absolutely phenomenal. Or it will be once they fix a bunch of stuff. I have faith though. All new releases have issues. Unfortunately I have yet to make it through a single online game without crashing or getting a "message not received error" so I'm a bit frustrated at the moment.

Get rid of the bugs & do something to make the online play a bit smoother and they have a killer game.

Well it's the best of it's type I guess...

There are other games I think they are the best for their own reasons. I mean, single player Call of Duty is the best cinematic, intense, action packed, linear game ever. MP is awesome too.

Half Life was brilliant, although I don't like alien weapons. The Thief games were the best in stealth and atmosphere.

But when I think which game offered me the most fun for the longest time, it's the OpF/Arma series. If you are creative and involved in the mod community, you can play any type of game through Arma. Even an adventure, a survival horror game with zombies, racing with other players or the AI, stealing cars and evading the police, robbing banks, murdering people for fun, stunt driving, flight (semi-)simulator, exploration, gang fights, alien hunting, soccer, hunting (rabbits) and I won't even mention the conversions of this game to other eras/genres and weaponry!

I don't remember doing half of that in COD or Half Life! Or any other game... ever.

It's all games into one. Since Armed Assault came out, I haven't played anything apart from Mount and Blade and a bit of Call of Duty occasionally. In fact any new impressive game that came out, gave me inspiration for creating new custom missions to play with my friends. Every night a different game for fuck's sake!

No other engine has the versatility to do that. It's more of a tool than a game.

Just to drive the point home, I don't think there is another game where in one mission, you get kill zombies piloting a WW2 plane in a storm, land and hunt starship troopers spacebugs in the desert and then steal a tank from a military base, level two villages for revenge and finally nuke the place out of existence as you escape in a chopper while listening to Slayer.

Allright?

Believe me I have checked!

I think overall, at least for sheer production values GTA4 is one of the very best. Truly a groundbreaking title blurring the lines between a living world and a game. (namely due to physics and scale )

ARMA2 you could say is the best war game ever.

I love OFP, still have it installed, still play it sometimes.. ArmAII will take its place :)

Indeed, this game deserves some credit too, instead of all the negative comments on bugs and performance.

Another vote here for n1 game of all time!

I haven't had this much fun since Delta Force.

I know man, the old Delta Force games were crazy. This is like a highly updated version with more features and players!

---------- Post added at 01:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 PM ----------

Well it's the best of it's type I guess...

There are other games I think they are the best for their own reasons. I mean, single player Call of Duty is the best cinematic, intense, action packed, linear game ever. MP is awesome too.

Half Life was brilliant, although I don't like alien weapons. The Thief games were the best in stealth and atmosphere.

But when I think which game offered me the most fun for the longest time, it's the OpF/Arma series. If you are creative and involved in the mod community, you can play any type of game through Arma. Even an adventure, a survival horror game with zombies, racing with other players or the AI, stealing cars and evading the police, robbing banks, murdering people for fun, stunt driving, flight (semi-)simulator, exploration, gang fights, alien hunting, soccer, hunting (rabbits) and I won't even mention the conversions of this game to other eras/genres and weaponry!

I don't remember doing half of that in COD or Half Life! Or any other game... ever.

It's all games into one. Since Armed Assault came out, I haven't played anything apart from Mount and Blade and a bit of Call of Duty occasionally. In fact any new impressive game that came out, gave me inspiration for creating new custom missions to play with my friends. Every night a different game for fuck's sake!

No other engine has the versatility to do that. It's more of a tool than a game.

Just to drive the point home, I don't think there is another game where in one mission, you get kill zombies piloting a WW2 plane in a storm, land and hunt starship troopers spacebugs in the desert and then steal a tank from a military base, level two villages for revenge and finally nuke the place out of existence as you escape in a chopper while listening to Slayer.

Allright?

Believe me I have checked!

^^^ 100% truth.

This game might not compete with the amazing all nighter beating Cod4 campaign, but after the campaign...it's not going to last as long as a arma/fp game!

---------- Post added at 01:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 PM ----------

I think overall, at least for sheer production values GTA4 is one of the very best. Truly a groundbreaking title blurring the lines between a living world and a game. (namely due to physics and scale )

ARMA2 you could say is the best war game ever.

Agreed, but thinking of just the game, was it the "better game?" offline...and online? This game you can have just as much fun offline that you can online.

Steam says I've put 142.8 hours into ArmA2 since it unlocked on the 26th.

It was like this for OFP as well. I must have played the demo for a good 100 hours before the full game was finally released, and I remember not touching anything else for months on end.

The series has technical issues, some pretty silly bugs, an unpolished feeling, and generally hasn't been the most efficient "sit down and play" experience, but I sure as hell wouldn't deny I've put the most game time into it this past decade.

Morrowind + Oblivion came somewhat close for me, but they didn't have coop. :D

ArmA2 is my fave, no doubt about it. But if I were to give a prize, it would go to Portal. That is one perfectly formed game.

Looks like a fun game, but the crashes and performance screw ups make it impossible to play.

ArmA2 is my fave, no doubt about it. But if I were to give a prize, it would go to Portal. That is one perfectly formed game.

True, they changed and tweeked everything for that to be absolutily perfect.

I'm actually waiting until I get to play this game - and the wait is killin' meh! I've always been a fan of flight simulators. Started off with MS Flight Sim and stopped at Aces High 2, since I had to ditch my crappy computer. After I get some exp in this game I'm going to try and become a dedicated pilot for all you guys out there needing transport. Even though I haven't played A2 yet, just watching the movies and reading posts, lets me know that this is going to be my favorite game ever!

It is impossible to say which is the best game of all genres, it is very subjetive.

In the military themed games my all time top list could be:

OFP - Arma , IL-2 sturmovik, Command & conquer, Total War series, Eurofighter 2000, Lock on - DCS black shark, Silent hunter series, Pyro´s Commandos franchise and Splinter Cell.

But again, it is hard to compare those games against each other. If we add other not military genres, things get harder to select one. I couldn´t say for example Baldur´s gate or Knights of the Old Republic series,or the old graphic adventures from lucasarts aren´t greater than the best military sim as a game.

Edited by katua

The way I use Arma2, it's more of an operating system ("What do you want to do today?") than a game. I love it.

Key word is 'possibly'. It has absolutely massive amounts of potential, it is already the most realistic war simulator out there, one of the best editors I've ever seen in a game, incredibly realistic graphics. But there's one big thing its lacking: story. There is immense untapped potential here for some of the most expansive, immersive, suspenseful stories you could ever come up with, stories that could literally go anywhere. That is this game's only problem, it could be resolved eventually, with a lot of work on the developer's part. If it wasn't for that, it probably would be a perfect game.

Definitely the best game in it's genre as it stands today.

however, Operation Flashpoint will always remain my sweetheart. it was a blast when it came out back in June 2001. noone knew how to swallow it. it was a virtual battlefield (unlike other games That came out in June 2001 claiming to be the "Virtual Battlefield" :P) and the setting, 1985, cold war, everything. it takes place in the eighties, and i'm a sucker for that decade, so playing the game was much better for me to think I'm back in 1985, like Vice City which took place in 1986.

ArmA II is a gem. I played on a coop server two days ago and worked closely with 3 other squad mates, attacking villages together, it was quite magical, like the first time playing Project Reality (a fantastic game infront of itself).

Edited by Mafiozo

Definitely the best game in it's genre as it stands today.

Sums it up the best I think.

Key word is 'possibly'. It has absolutely massive amounts of potential, it is already the most realistic war simulator out there, one of the best editors I've ever seen in a game, incredibly realistic graphics. But there's one big thing its lacking: story. ...

You forgot the physics and multiplayer (net-code). If BIS could improve these two parts A2 could be the best "war" sim. ATM it's just a real good inf sim.

I know! it's awesome, and that's just regarding OFP!, imagine the posibilities ith arma2 :yay:

OFP - Arma , IL-2 sturmovik, Command & conquer, Total War series, Eurofighter 2000, Lock on - DCS black shark, Silent hunter series, Pyro´s Commandos franchise and Splinter Cell.

+1

I mean for me it goes like this

1.OFP:RES - ARMA - ARMA2(demo) [tied with] IL-2 1946

2.OBLIVION - FALLOUT3

3.NEVERWINTER NIGHTS series

4.LOCK ON Flamming Cliffs [tied with] Silent Hunter III

5.Total War Series (all of them)

6.Rainbow Six Series (vegas2 installed)

7.Left4Dead (honorific mention due to it's coop fun)

games come an go, but that list above it's always installed on my harddrive

so ARMA2 its on its way to the TOP

regards

Edited by waffen
added to the list