Sign in to follow this  
Headshot119

3D surround sound

I've had ARMA2 for a few days, got it via steam.

I've only played it with headphones as the sounds annoy my parents, but while they where out I put it through the surround sound, and was disappointed to hear only the front left and right speakers working.

Is the game not 3D surround enabled?

BTW it's a 5.1 system.

Yes as Call of Duty 4 and all my DVDs come out in 3D surround sound.

Check your Windows speaker settings in the control panel. ArmA 2 goes by those.

Call of Duty on the other hand goes by the settings in its own sound options.

Windows is set to 5.1 but I only get sound through the left and right speakers and the sub.

AFAIK 5.1 does not work. I have lots of trouble trying to run away or engage enemy because of this.

using a xfi card.. and a analog 5.1 speaker set (old Klispch) all my channels work and they work correctly ,it seems to me... now sound dropping ect is a different issue.

using a xfi card.. and a analog 5.1 speaker set (old Klispch) all my channels work and they work correctly ,it seems to me... now sound dropping ect is a different issue.

I had problems with my onboard realtek card and Arma2. The center channel was screwed up. After installing the drivers from realtek's site it helped...but it still wasn't perfect.

I then got an Omega HT soundcard which now works much better. My setup is running digitial out into a Onkyo receiver which runs to a 7.1 setup (Arma2 is probably only 5.1).

+1, realtek onboard 5.1 card, works fine in other games, set to 5.1 in windows control panel.

get 2.1 in arma :(

I have an X-Fi gaming(?) PCI-E card which I just use for microphone. For audio, I have USB 5.1 Speedtouch Medusa headphones (with broken mic). 5.1 works fine everywhere except Arma2 where, for example, an enemy at 11 o'clock sounds like he's at 9 o'clock. It's literally doing my head in.

so the question is, does anyone have onboard 5.1 which is working ??!

http://www.driverheaven.net/general-discussion/90887-redocnexk-released-realtime-5-1-ac3-encoder.html

may want to go this site..they may have some solution

For certain creative sound cards like the Aud/XiFi,that are dolby certified to get 5.1 working, especially for dolby digital live, you have to download the dolby live/dts connection software pack and activation it.

Creative does not turn this on, due to licensing reason.. some people who have a certain ver of XiFi or Aud, can get it for free, if not cost $35. Also, you will need to get latest driver.. and then turn it on via their software. Daniel K.. apparently help get this done.

To respond to the post earlier, I got the game to load in 5.1 DD using digital out from an auzentech x-plosion 7.1 cine, but it seems like the surround isn't very good. All speakers work, but i setup a chopper doing circles around me in editor, and the rear surround channels don't give a good effect. It basically sounds like the chopper is flying to my right and left, pretty much right in front of me. My receiver shows it is running in 5.1, and there is sound coming from the rear l/r, it just doesnt sound that good. My surround is calibrated and sounds great otherwise. Any thoughts, driver's are updated, i havn't messed with the config file yet, but will do that next. I'll let ya'll know if it works.

So i looked at my arma2.cfg, and there are no lines for sound, am i in the right place? Here's what i Have:

language="English";

adapter=-1;

3D_Performance=93750;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

Resolution_W=1920;

Resolution_H=1080;

refresh=60;

Render_W=1920;

Render_H=1080;

FSAA=3;

postFX=0;

HDRPrecision=8;

lastDeviceId="";

localVRAM=1067663360;

nonlocalVRAM=1878523904;

winX=0;

winY=0;

winW=1916;

winH=1040;

winDefW=1920;

winDefH=1080;

Edit 2:

So, I did the same sound test, this time using a vehicle, and the sound was pretty much the same, except the engine idiling and commander speech came out of my back left speaker only, regardless of the orientation of the vehicle...weird.

Edited by MitchKov
Config file

Alright, after a lot of messing around with settings, I'm no further than I was 3 hours ago. I tried most settings through windows, arma profile config options (the EAX and HWacceleration), adding -dsound to shortcut (didn't crash but didn't change anything either).

I've found that my only playable sound pretty much comes from pcm (stereo) 48000.

All of this goes over a s/pdif (optical) Cable for digital out.

However, if digital out is selected in win 7, then it automatically goes to my receiver as pcm 48000. This is what I have been playing at since I got the game and didn't completely notice since I had my receiver set to a mode that enables all 6 speakers in stereo modes. However today I realized it wasn't 5.1 surround when looking at it while loading up the game. The sounds not terrible, but I cannot pinpoint the direction of any noise behind me (I can hear it, just sounds like its in front of me). In front I can do a fairly good job with sound location.

If I select Speakers from the Windows 7 Sounds panel, then it will send whichever surround I select to my receiver, where it is identified correctly by the receiver (Dolby Digital Live -> Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS Interactive -> DTS 5.1). However, with these the surround is not true surround (see problems from previous post), and certain sounds through my center speaker are ridiculously loud (so much so that it scared the crap out of me multiple times). These were usually sound my character made (such as going prone heavy breathing, and getting back up heavy breathing...actually these are the only two i found because it was so unplayable, it literally drowned the other sound out completely due to the fact it was loud as hell.)

For Reference, I'm running Windows 7 64, this is my card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829156006, and i have the following driver:

RC1-Driver for X-Plosion & X-Mystique: 32- & 64-bit, Windows 7

* Version: C8770_RC1_0609

* Release Date: 06/16/2009

Also Arma II is steam version and fully patched.

The card/receiver/speakers work perfect in all other applications.

I dont have any 5.1 sound either.

I have a basic system with a Sound Blaster Live 5.1 card, and Logitech X540 speakers.

Every game I have works in 5.1 without problems, ARMA2 does not!

It seems to be stuck on 2.1 which is very annoying in a game where you need directional awareness!

Yapa

Just got myself a Razer Megalodon headset. I can confirm that it works in 7.1 virtual surround sound in the mission editor and single player but not in multiplayer for some weird reason? maybe it was just the mission type.

Will conduct some further testing later.

I've worked out what my problem is

I have 3 screens running at 12:3 aspet ratio.

when a sound comes from outside of the centre screen, it sounds like it's 90-ish degrees out even though i can see it on my left or right screen which means it's somewhat infront of me.

the thing causing the sound is out to me left at 45 degrees but is sounds like it's at 90 degreees

I have Auzentech x-fi prelude 7.1 and since it's not popular to play too high volume at night time I'm thinking about purchasing Tritton AX Pro

http://www.trittontechnologies.com/products/TRIGA611.htm

Which to me looks like the best there is on the market for true surround sound in a headset, the Tritton I've in mind is 5.1 and the best headset Tritton has to offer it looks like.

But if there are so much problems with 5.1 as there seams to be in this thread then maybe it's a bad idea except thou that it would be handy in other games as well.

What is the standing with all the issues and does anyone know how far the devs has come in solving it, if they are working on it at all?

Thanks

But if there are so much problems with 5.1 as there seams to be in this thread then maybe it's a bad idea except thou that it would be handy in other games as well.

What is the standing with all the issues and does anyone know how far the devs has come in solving it, if they are working on it at all?

Thanks

I have discrete channels in analog 5.1 in my speakers... no problems. Rear is rear sounds, front left is front left, center is center... not sure what the deal is with surroundsound and arma2. works good.

I've been playing with current 5.1 settings for about a week now. It's working OK but there's a bug if you have 3 screens and use the 12:3 aspect ratio. The increased fov is not reflected in the sound space: things you can see in front of you (on left or right screen) sound like they are offscreen.

I've been playing with current 5.1 settings for about a week now. It's working OK but there's a bug if you have 3 screens and use the 12:3 aspect ratio. The increased fov is not reflected in the sound space: things you can see in front of you (on left or right screen) sound like they are offscreen.
Yeah to set up the sound to be in the right place on a triple will take sometime, tho i have a few friends who use trihead, and they havent talked about a issue, tho they maybe on headphones... You may try to "remap" the primary sound playback device, and or use a different mutiscreen driver...