Sign in to follow this  
Toomy

a minimap!

just like in all battlefield games, u have a minimap in the top right corner.

everytime i open the map in arma2 while flying, i always have a fear of crashing to the ground because i cant see where im going because of the damn map!

Gain altitude then open map, and dont stay in it too long either.

I'm using a joystick, and I turned off all the mouse movements associated with plane controls so I wouldnt end up steering towards the earth when I'm in my map scrolling around with the mouse.

You dont need a map really, or if you do...its just to check the airspace (for me; ie radar contact) or to set a waypoint. Your HUD shows direction and has radar to spot targets/friendlies at the top of the screen. It works fine...a minimap would ruin it since it'd take up too much of my screen IMO

Right Ctrl + M for the GPS, most vehicles have it.

Right Ctrl + M for the GPS, most vehicles have it.

If you have a joystick, you could even be slick and bind the toggle GPS (which is the command bhaz is referring to) command to one of your joystick buttons.

This isn't battlefield.

intelligent response, thnx

Ctrl + M i did not know about, thnx

This isn't battlefield.

Well they should compensate for the lack of working map in aircraft.. I'd rather a working map in cockpit but...

I completely agree that while you're in aircraft that have this ability, it should be available, perhaps dependant on difficulty levels.. obviously when you have a smart player as co-pilot they help so you can focus on flying but a "mini radar/map" in aircraft would be handy.

http://mae.pennnet.com/display_article/203911/32/ARTCL/none/none/1/Military-helicoper-cockpits-get-a-facelift/

Several aircraft/helo mods had moving mini-maps in ArmA1.

As well as working counter-measures, audible alerts (altitude, fire alarms, missile warning, etc).

We'll see this type of thing and more as the tools become available.

look at the map before you fly, remember your coordinate i.e south, east then pop out your GPS.

While this is a work around sure, its not the best solution and since the air craft have these advanced nav systems in real life there should be a little more attention to this in the game without "sacrificing" realism. Anyway I am sure it will happen eventually :)

While this is a work around sure, its not the best solution and since the air craft have these advanced nav systems in real life there should be a little more attention to this in the game without "sacrificing" realism. Anyway I am sure it will happen eventually :)

true. but a person should have a good idea of the flight plan before heading off. hell, infantry - especially squad leaders should also have a damn good idea of where they are going (even if it just a direction but preferably towns to watch out for ,etc).

GPS/inflight map is for adjustments but it is smart to have a mental idea of your mission beforehand.

A nice and simple solution (since maps aren't generally used in RL aircraft either, other than possibly an air-to-static-ground radar) would be subsequent waypoints or steerpoints. Say a new Steerpoint feature where people can plot a path on the map so that they get visible cues when driving vehicles (especially aircraft).

(since maps aren't generally used in RL aircraft either, other than possibly an air-to-static-ground radar)

LOL where did you got that??

Of course maps are used either on paper or in digital presentation on the MFD.

Nobody is flying without a chart, specially the military :bounce3:

Use your personal waypoint using SHIFT+mapclick for where you want to go.

LOL where did you got that??

Of course maps are used either on paper or in digital presentation on the MFD.

Nobody is flying without a chart, specially the military :bounce3:

Yes, but not the kind of map that it seems the OP requests. The navigational systems on the MFD can of course nowadays be quite accurate maps, but in older systems (i.e. other than the F35 or newest Blocks of other aircraft), but tend to be more simple navigational systems, complemented by the pilot's paper map.

I.e. not The All-Effective Mini-Map of Winâ„¢.

I'm all for a plotting system where one can place sequences of steerpoints/navpoints though, to plan the flight route.

The personal waypoint system only supports one single waypoint afaik, and not a sequence of them, which is a bit sad.

Agree Inkompetent that having a series of personal waypoints would be MUCH better.

In arma I used the small red squares and made myself a breadcrumb trail out of them to my destination (taking into account terrain and probable areas of danger). Using the minimap they show up guiding you on your way. As a co-pilot I once did this for the pilot. Then one of the players on board excitedly remarked that the waypoints were disappearing as we hit them! He was rather disappointed to find out that as we went over them, I was simply deleting them as we passed by.

What needs to happen is the ability to zoom in or out on the GPS. I spent 125 bucks on the gps in my car...and I can zoom out and see the entire US. I'm sure the military has better gps technology then I.

Just a note, and you may know of this already. When you are on the map, hold shift, and left click to create a waypoint. This will show on your hud. This may be OFN, but I came across this by accident.

Setting a personal waypoint to where I want to fly to, then using the already-existing-and-mentioned-several-times GPS minimap (rightcontrol + M) to see the general immediate surroundings, works absolutely fine as it is... though I can understand that if it was zoomed out a bit further it would be better in some situations.