Sign in to follow this  
Journeyman

Smoke my wreck!

Not sure where to look for this, so could someone tell me how to get smoke billowing from my AH wreck? .. Thanks.

I just placed a AH on the ground and set damage to maximum, but I need some smoke to complete the crashed effect! :)

theres already a soloution for this i posted about it in a very simler thread, id tell you but the search thread is your friend. But im busy to get a link atm lol so u best search in the mean time :P or click my name and check all posts by me and look for the fire thread thingy :)

Hmm cant get that to work. Mainly cause i dont understand the explanation.

People should explain clearer. Lots of new people here and old timers like me that never learnt things properly.

1. Made an INIT.SQF with this=[firelogic, 5, time, false, false] spawn BIS_Effects_Burn; (this - was what i had. Wrote wrong first)

2. Placed a GameLogic in the map and named it firelogic

No fire.

Thankful for a more solid explanation. :)

Alex

Edited by Alex72

Did you leave off the trialing ; in the init.sqf or just in your post here? That'll make it fail.

nul=[firelogic, 5, time, false, false] spawn BIS_Effects_Burn[b];[/b]

Yes i have a ";" in the init. Sorry didnt post it.

Does the logic have to be synched or grouped or... anything like that or will the fire just burn wherever i have the logic? As i mentioned is what i did. Add the line to a init.sqf and placed a gamelogic called "firelogic". Nothing.

Alex

Edited by Alex72

Wow, how obscure, you need THIS in your init.sqf first:

BIS_Effects_Burn=compile preprocessFile "\ca\Data\ParticleEffects\SCRIPTS\destruction\burn.sqf";

Then it'll burn.

Wohoo!

How do you come up with these things? Master! Pure genius. :)

Thanks a bunch!

Alex

Wow, how obscure, you need THIS in your init.sqf first:

BIS_Effects_Burn=compile preprocessFile "\ca\Data\ParticleEffects\SCRIPTS\destruction\burn.sqf";

Then it'll burn.

So this goes in the init of a chopper or... ?? And where do I find a fire in game logic? Sorry it's a bit confusing! In OFP I just would place an object, 'fire', with "this init burn sequence" or something it was easy!

Edited by Journeyman

That goes into the INIT.SQF plus add the this=[firelogic, 5, time, false, false] spawn BIS_Effects_Burn; in there as well.

Then in the editor open the unit editor (F1) and double click anywhere. Choose GAME LOGIC. Make sure you get a GAME LOGIC cause i think it chooses LOCATIONS first - just change it to GAME LOGIC.

Then in the GAME LOGICS name field (top right) write firelogic

Now you should have smoke from where the game logic is.

In the INIT.SQF you can add several lines of this: this=[firelogic, 5, time, false, false] spawn BIS_Effects_Burn; and just change the name firelogic into firelogic2 and firelogic3 etc and name the game logics as well. That way you can add more smoke sources. You can also attach the logics with AttachTo and have burning/smoking flying airplanes etc.

EDIT: Experimented a lot and its quite nice to for example add 2 smoke sources to the same wreck. One bigger (4) and one smaller (2) and have the bigger one set to fade. So after a while it stops the big fire/smoke and just have smaller smoke puffing. Very nice and good enhancer for missions. I notice the other thread about using LOGIC's as light sources as well. Villages and citites are now proper lit up in my missions. :)

Alex

Edited by Alex72

How do you turn them off, mine are burning from the start of the game.

I have played with the light effect and it's quite good, I even attached one to a helicopter.

One of the true of falses makes it fade and go out after time.

That goes into the INIT.SQF plus add the this=[firelogic, 5, time, false, false] spawn BIS_Effects_Burn; in there as well.

Then in the editor open the unit editor (F1) and double click anywhere. Choose GAME LOGIC. Make sure you get a GAME LOGIC cause i think it chooses LOCATIONS first - just change it to GAME LOGIC.

Then in the GAME LOGICS name field (top right) write firelogic

Now you should have smoke from where the game logic is.

In the INIT.SQF you can add several lines of this: this=[firelogic, 5, time, false, false] spawn BIS_Effects_Burn; and just change the name firelogic into firelogic2 and firelogic3 etc and name the game logics as well. That way you can add more smoke sources. You can also attach the logics with AttachTo and have burning/smoking flying airplanes etc.

EDIT: Experimented a lot and its quite nice to for example add 2 smoke sources to the same wreck. One bigger (4) and one smaller (2) and have the bigger one set to fade. So after a while it stops the big fire/smoke and just have smaller smoke puffing. Very nice and good enhancer for missions. I notice the other thread about using LOGIC's as light sources as well. Villages and citites are now proper lit up in my missions. :)

Alex

Thanks! I added those lines directly into the INIT field of the firelogics and it works a treat. How does the AttachTo work? for instance I want to have my downed AH smoking from the fuselage rather than the ground. I named the AH wreck so what is the correct input? For instance: AttachTo "wreck"; or without the hyphens and apostrophes?

wreck attachto [firelogic,[0,0,0]]

I think that should work, you may need to mess about with the numbers in brackets to find the best place on the wreck.

I carn't test right now as PC is busy.

Any chance making the smoke MP compatible? I added smoke to wrecks and what not but when my mates are in the mission they can hear the fires only and not see them.

I dont really understand logics (the exact function of them) and im fairly new to it all even though ive been at it for years. Never dug very deep into the editor wich will change for ARMA2 as im planning releases later on.

But how does one make things that only are visible in SP into MP? Or are these things SP exclusive?

Thanks

Alex

Edited by Alex72

Following these instructions just gives me a "Burn.sqf" not found.

Make a GAME LOGIC and name it fire in the name field up right. And the name fire is an example only. You can call it whatever just make sure it has the same name in the init line also.

Add this whole line into the game logics INIT field/box:

BIS_Effects_Burn=compile preprocessFile "\ca\Data\ParticleEffects\SCRIPTS\destruction\burn.sqf"; this=[fire, 5, time, false, false] spawn BIS_Effects_Burn;

Alex

Edited by Alex72

Alex i followed every step on your last post and im getting a Burn.sqf no found error once i run the mission in the editor

When posted to the forums, a space appears which should not be there between 'burn' and '.sqf'.

you do not have to make a game logic if you want to attach it to an object!

this=[firelogic, 5, time, false, false] spawn BIS_Effects_Burn;

just change the firelogic name to the name of the object you want to burn. I used this on a wrecks uh1y and named it uh1y and it burns directly on the wreck itself without any game logics.

this=[uh1y, 5, time, false, false] spawn BIS_Effects_Burn;

Edited by cobra4v320

you do not have to make a game logic if you want to attach it to an object!

this=[firelogic, 5, time, false, false] spawn BIS_Effects_Burn;

just change the firelogic name to the name of the object you want to burn. I used this on a wrecks uh1y and named it uh1y and it burns directly on the wreck itself without any game logics.

this=[uh1y, 5, time, false, false] spawn BIS_Effects_Burn;

Yea I knew this but what i would like to know is how can you place it to a different place...For example when put on a Humvee the roof is smoking...how do i move it to where the engine is smoking....Note: I want the fire attached to the vehicle.

Sgt Hawkins

This command will attach it to the top of a HMMWV.

this attachTo [car,[0,0,0]];

This command will attach it to the hood of a HMMWV

this attachTo [car,[0,1.7,-1.1]];

All you have to do is play with x,y,z

x is left and right

y is front and back

z is up and down

Let me know if this helps :cool:

Edited by cobra4v320

BUMP....

For some reason the firelogic no longer seems to work? although this might be an ACE2 conflict issue? Anyone else able to create a firelogic now with the previously mentioned method? Light is no problem, but fire seems to have changed?

Any thoughts?